Which Caliber Will Become Obsolete Next?

Ammo talk and ammo related topics
Harb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Which Caliber Will Become Obsolete Next?

Post by Harb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm

There are several calibers that you cannot find in modern production, like the .577 Snider. These rounds have to be custom made by people who really know a lot about ammunition. As weapons technology progresses, certain calibers will gradually get more expensive, then cease to be produced altogether because fewer people use them. This process takes a very long time. The .577 Snider was used by the British Empire between 1864-1871.

Let's look at an American example.

Between 1898-1935 every cop in the country swore up and down by the .38 Special. Then the Gangster Era put local country deputies against criminals with armored cars, submachine guns and bullet proof vests. Enter the .357 Magnum. It continued to be king of the six guns until the 1980s when Glock and other reliable auto pistols began coming to the market. After a century, you're hard-pressed to find any cop who uses a revolver. 9mm is about $12 a box while .38 Special is roughly $18-$20. Vintage S&W revolvers have nearly doubled in value. But even though it's more expensive, the .38 remains popular around the world.

Here's are two calibers I think will go by the wayside next:

1. 6.5 and 7.7 Jap
These are the rounds for the Type 38 and 99 Arisaka rifles, produced by Imperial Japan until 1945. WWI and WWII production ammo is so rare and valuable that collector's won't dare shoot it. Only a few companies in the entire world still produce the caliber for recreation, and it's expensive. Many Arisaka rifles were destroyed after the war. Only a few thousand came to the USA. Many of those were re-chambered for American calibers. Many of them are not even safe to shoot since metallurgy declined as the bombings of mainland Japan destroyed their munitions factories. Although the rifles and both calibers perform well, it's not used for anything outside recreation. I think it'll be gone in the next few decades.

2. .30 Carbine
The United States is the only country in the world who has ever actively fielded a weapon chambered in this caliber. France and Israel tried, but the projects were scrapped. The M1 hasn't been used by American troops since 1973, given that we had compact versions of the M16. 6 million were made between 1941-45. 2 million were handed out to Cold War Era allies. Commercial replicas are often denounced as cheap copies and the horde of after-market magazines they inspired. The best quality Carbines are the original, military production, which run $600-1000 depending on condition and manufacturer. Despite everyone's best efforts, gun gurus and other aficionados claim that the .30 Carbine isn't good enough for self-defense, let alone fighting a war. Ammo runs about $26 a box. Who knows if we'll still have this around in 50 years.

I know there are hundreds of other calibers that could get scrapped. These two came to mind first.

What do you think?

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Re: Which Caliber Will Become Obsolete Next?

Post by 325MOUTguru » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 pm

.40 :o

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:55 pm

:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: 223 ? :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 pm

if 6.8mm SPC does not get cheaper and/or catch on for something in particular I don't see it being around much longer.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

cityslicker

Post by cityslicker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:19 am

ChopperDoc wrote:if 6.8mm SPC does not get cheaper and/or catch on for something in particular I don't see it being around much longer.
I have to respectfully disagree. It's already caught on in the hunting world, especially deer and hog hunters who wish to hunt with an AR-15 but want more punch than a .223 cal. As far as the ammo needing to be cheaper, it's all relative. There may not be any cheap plinking ammo, but the hunting variety is cheap compared to other calibers. I bought some Hornady Vmax in 6.8 for $16 or $17 a box. I believe that same ammo in. 223 is around the same price.

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:20 am

5.7x28. :llama:
Just try to find some for sale. I am looking for some, so if you see some, let me know.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:29 am

Keenes had a bunch of it this week when I was by there but it was the military/leo ammo. I saw at 2-3000 rounds

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 am

cityslicker wrote:
ChopperDoc wrote:if 6.8mm SPC does not get cheaper and/or catch on for something in particular I don't see it being around much longer.
I have to respectfully disagree. It's already caught on in the hunting world, especially deer and hog hunters who wish to hunt with an AR-15 but want more punch than a .223 cal. As far as the ammo needing to be cheaper, it's all relative. There may not be any cheap plinking ammo, but the hunting variety is cheap compared to other calibers. I bought some Hornady Vmax in 6.8 for $16 or $17 a box. I believe that same ammo in. 223 is around the same price.

Glad to here that.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:23 pm

7.62x25, or the 'Tokarev' round.

a few years back, there were CZ52's available cheap, and the ammo was plentiful- but it was ALL surplus. The rounds was developed for the sub-machine guns- the Tokarev pistol and the CZ-52 pistol came to use it too, but that's it.
No current guns made for this, not counting the AR15 barrelled upper that one guy is marketing....

I haven't seen a spam can of this ammo for two years now, which was why I sold my CZ-52 a few months back.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:24 pm

kokopelli wrote:7.62x25, or the 'Tokarev' round.

a few years back, there were CZ52's available cheap, and the ammo was plentiful- but it was ALL surplus. The rounds was developed for the sub-machine guns- the Tokarev pistol and the CZ-52 pistol came to use it too, but that's it.
No current guns made for this, not counting the AR15 barrelled upper that one guy is marketing....

I haven't seen a spam can of this ammo for two years now, which was why I sold my CZ-52 a few months back.
I'm afraid you're right. This is a sad thing.

The 7.62x25 is a *great* round that had tremendous potential.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 pm

This is a neat thread.

Let me ask, with .308 and .300 win mag, is their a need for new guns in .30-06?

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 pm

justang1997 wrote:This is a neat thread.

Let me ask, with .308 and .300 win mag, is their a need for new guns in .30-06?
No, but there is enough 30-06 guns out there that the ammo wont be obsolete.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 pm

yeah i know there are tons of .30-06 but what I was saying, is there a need for new guns in the caliber. Its a middle caliber now between .308 and .300, and a light loaded .300 can do all the -06 can.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:01 am

I disagree, there are too many guns out there. Newly made ammunition is available for $20 a box. Yes it isn't surplus but it still allows weapons to be used. I think you could say the same thing equally about 8mm. I see far less of that new ammo than I do this one. There are tons of mausers out there but really, who is out shooting them on a daily basis. Meanwhile, there are a variety of 7.62x25 handguns, machineguns, and now rifles that shoot that cartridge. I personally have 4 or 5 guns that shoot that cartridge and have several thousand rounds for them. I always buy it when I find it cheap and that is about twice a year now. It is dwindling but the new ammo is out there for the people who want to have a cheap pistol and still be able to shoot it some.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 am

Dave1965 wrote:

I disagree, there are too many guns out there. Newly made ammunition is available for $20 a box. Yes it isn't surplus but it still allows weapons to be used. I think you could say the same thing equally about 8mm. I see far less of that new ammo than I do this one. There are tons of mausers out there but really, who is out shooting them on a daily basis. Meanwhile, there are a variety of 7.62x25 handguns, machineguns, and now rifles that shoot that cartridge. I personally have 4 or 5 guns that shoot that cartridge and have several thousand rounds for them. I always buy it when I find it cheap and that is about twice a year now. It is dwindling but the new ammo is out there for the people who want to have a cheap pistol and still be able to shoot it some.
I have a 7MM and a 8MM Mauser, 7mm usually isn't a problem but occasionally 8mm is really hard to find locally...

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:25 am

Dave1965 wrote:

I have a CZ-52, Polish Tokarev and a Yugo M57. I haven't shot any of them for over a year. I have about 5k 7.62x25 ammo left. I am waiting to see if any more surplus is coming into the country.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:33 am

I would probably add .30 mauser or .30 luger to the list of soon to be obsoletes though.

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am

7.65 Argentine Mauser
9mm Largo
8x56R
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:49 am

6.5 Grendale
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Ammo”