Ammo talk and ammo related topics
KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 76 times

Bulk ammo ( 22lr ). Is it junk?

Post by KYgundude » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 pm

I've recently read some stuff that says those bulk boxes ( 550 rounds )of 22 are junk. They say poorly toleranced and shoot cruddy groups. Opinions? Is it really that bad. Are CCI Mini Mags really worth almost 7 bucks per 100 rnds?

inthewaterky
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Bulk ammo ( 22lr ). Is it junk?

Post by inthewaterky » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Depends on what your purpose is. I can tell you some like it and some don't. I am about to do a ammo test and just ordered $100 bucks of 22LR Standard Velocity to test in my Savage MKII TR. I will post results if it ever gets here. But so far the WOLF is best from what i hear.. I can tell you that out of 5 shots on the federal bulk 550. One is always a "winger" If you are confident in your shots and know that you aimed in the right place and you have one pull hard right and low or whatever.. You know you had a bad round.
Last edited by inthewaterky on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not that it takes all kinds... We just have all kinds... " My Grandpa

inthewaterky
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by inthewaterky » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:27 pm

And to my knowledge if you ever fully clean a 22 barrel.. Wait 20-50 rounds as all are lubed and it somewhat conditions the barrel, then watch the group tighten up.

I only run a oil patch and dry patch and don't use solvent untill around 1000 rounds... Then wait 20 rounds for it to tighten back up... That is what I have been told and it seems to work.
Last edited by inthewaterky on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm

inthewaterky wrote:And to my knowledge if you ever fully clean a 22 barrel.. Wait 20-50 rounds as all are lubed and it somewhat conditions the barrel, then watch the group tighten up.

I only run a oil patch and dry patch and don't use solvent untill around 1000 rounds... The wait 20 rounds for it to tighten back up... That is what I have been told and it seems to work.
Skip told me to never run a brush down the barrel of a 22 because it will damage it( true story ). I have a hard time believing a small explosion forcing a chunk of metal down the barrel doesn't damage it but a soft brass brush will. /shrug

inthewaterky
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by inthewaterky » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 pm

KYgundude wrote:
inthewaterky wrote:And to my knowledge if you ever fully clean a 22 barrel.. Wait 20-50 rounds as all are lubed and it somewhat conditions the barrel, then watch the group tighten up.

I only run a oil patch and dry patch and don't use solvent untill around 1000 rounds... The wait 20 rounds for it to tighten back up... That is what I have been told and it seems to work.
Skip told me to never run a brush down the barrel of a 22 because it will damage it( true story ). I have a hard time believing a small explosion forcing a chunk of metal down the barrel doesn't damage it but a soft brass brush will. /shrug
I haven't heard that one.. If thats the case mine is FARKED! LOL

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 pm

The biggest issue I've run into with some bulk ammo is priming compound that is poorly distributed around the rim (resulting in misfires). With that said, I've had pretty good luck with most Federal bulk.

Nevertheless, the *vast* majority of my .22 stockpile consists of CCI Minimags. They're worth $7/100 because they are extremely reliable and usually produce above-average accurate in most firearms.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:29 pm

The best bulk 22 ammo I've found is the Blazer....

The sell 2 different bulk boxes.....one is loose box of 500/555 (dont recall exact amount) and one that is 500 rds that is (10) 50 rd boxes <-I really like these......within the past couple years these I've shot at least 7k rounds of them amd had no issues......never had light strike/primer issues with them and 50/75 yds they shoot nice groups......I can get them locally for $19.99 per 500 reg price and they go on sale from time to time......kyswede and some of the other guys get Blazer at Dunhams for ridiculous cheap ( like $12.99 or something)......

Anyway, it's better than any of the other bulk ammo I've shot......only 22 ammo I am willing to pay more for is subsonic and match grade stuff.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:33 pm

I got a box of Federal Target Grade ammo tonight that I am anxious to try.....Federal claims it's as good or better than anything else out there......it was $14 for 325 rds....came in "bulk" box, all loose ammo.

If its as good as they claim it would be great.....Wolf Match stuff runs around $6 per 50.....

If this Federal compare at all, it'll be a big +
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Lemme know JSI. I have Winchester, Federal and Blazer bulk. I like the Blazer because it's the cleanest seeming. Your fingers don't get all black from handling it.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Winchester bulk is shit I have tried tfe Walmart bulk pack and the m22. Both are filthy smoky junk. Federal is okay. Remington is about the same as Winchester. I agree though the cci blazer is the best bulk I have used so far.

Cci mii mag grouping is far superior to all of these as far as grouping and reliability.

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Nolan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:00 am

I tried the Remington in bulk and it was junk--went back to the CCI and have no problems.
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:11 am

Remington is junk and Federal is near flawless in my 597. The deal with a clean bore is true about it being more accurate when it has rounds ran through it vs a clean bore.

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mudcat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:36 am

Over the last few years I have seen the amount of hang fires and squibs increase to almost never having one on the line to probably every other shoot someone will have a bad box. It is almost always Federal and Winchester. It is bad when one has a squib and fires another right after. It usually blows out the magazine well. Ever week in our Internal AARs there are incidents of this happening some where on an Appleseed line. It is now included in our safety briefings. I also recommend people not even fire the red box Federal bulk. Duds I can deal with but squibs and hang fires not so much.
My preferred bulk ammo is the Blazer 10 50 round box. I get it for $16 and it is very consistent even over the chrono.
I hardly ever clean my loaner rifles and never scrub the bores. I drag a bore snake through them if the get rained on.

Sent from my evil black iPhone using Tapatalk

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:43 am

I have several different manufacturers of bulk ammo. I have no idea about accuracy one of the other. Probably all going to be better than my accuracy anyway.

Occasionally I will have a misfire here and there, but I do shoot a lot of 22 in semi autos when I get to the range (GSG, dedicated handguns, conversion kits) but generally they work pretty well.

My last RWI course I used Remington bulk in a Ciener 22 conversion 1911. Out of the hundreds of rounds fired I think I had 2 misfires. I was pleasantly surprised and I think Matt was more than a little shocked. When he found out I was planning on using a 22LR he just shook his head...
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't see as much 22LR fired as Mudcat does. Think I would take his advice.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 pm

I just about always buy the Blazer 525ct boxes and VERY rarely have any issues at all with them and I probably average a box every week to 2 weeks depending on the weather. Some weeks when it's really nice I shoot closer to 2 boxes. I'm definitely sold on the Blazer bulk...

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYgundude » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Remington is junk and Federal is near flawless in my 597. The deal with a clean bore is true about it being more accurate when it has rounds ran through it vs a clean bore.
I can get on board with this but I still say Skip's warning for me to never put a brush down my barrel because it will damage it is horseshit.

wash
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by wash » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:21 pm

I've ran it all with minimal issues. I know guys that hate Winchester bulk, but they all work in my .22s. Maybe a failure to fire once a box. If that. That's out of 10/22 Henry Lever, revolver and semi auto pistols. I'm sure some are more accurate than others.

I've been told that Wolf Target .22LR is very accurate. Seems to be but is pricey.

Return to “Ammo”