Variations in 10mm

Ammo talk and ammo related topics
badvoltron
Little Butthole
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 44 times

Variations in 10mm

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:22 pm

Ammo question for you all. Last week I purchased a smith and wesson model 610-3 which is a 10mm revolver.

Obviously this is intended to be an auto cartridge. Im quickly finding out there is some wild variation in 10mm, three of the four ammos I have tried would not work.

Aguila would drop right into the cylinder, but expanded so much from firing it got jammed in the cylinders. Its primers were also sticking too far out to let the gun cycle.

Ammo inc would not even drop into the cylinders on its own. When you dropped a round in under its own weight a good 3 to 4mm would be sticking above the rim of the cylinder. Didnt like that so didnt use, I felt if I pressed it down flush it probably would not come out after firing.

Armscore primers stuck out too far and would not let the revolver cycle.

So far the only rounds that worked fantastic were Blazer.

My question is: is it normal to have this much variance in auto ammo?

Or is this revolver extra finicky about ammo because its a revolver?

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Variations in 10mm

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm

From what I understand, most 10mm is loaded about the same as .40. I don't think that would explain the issues with your revolver.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm

I google the gun t see if anyone else was reporting similar issues and the very first link I clicked on the guy reported they shipped the wrong moon clips with his. Check your moon clips.

https://revolverguy.com/field-report-sw-model-610-3/
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:34 pm

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm
From what I understand, most 10mm is loaded about the same as .40. I don't think that would explain the issues with your revolver.
Yeah that bugs the heck out of me. You got to check the numbers before ordering to make sure your not getting 10mm loaded to 40SW specs. Fine for range rounds but for defensive rounds it's deceptive IMHO
Last edited by WLJ on Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Ive tried 3 different kinds of moon clips and tried various ammo in them.(the s&w that came with it, tk customs which are engraved 610 and 10mm, and some generic brand off optics planet). Ive also tried without the moon clips. If I get an issue with the clip, I get the same issue without the clip. They dont seem to be effecting it.

Yep its easy to find other people having issues with this ammo or that in a 610

But my question is why? Is it because I want to run an auto cartridge? Or is it something in the design of the revolver or revolvers in general? Or is there just more variance in an auto cartridge vs rimmed?
Last edited by badvoltron on Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:41 pm

Could be the way they cut the cylinders makes it finicky Don't know.
You could just have a bad one, it happens. After 45 years of shooting and buying guns I had my first out of the box bad gun a couple of years ago, a Savage. Savage took care of it. Check with S&W and see what they say.

Don't recalled reading of issues with the 9mm revolvers
These users liked the author WLJ for the post:
badvoltron
Rating: 12.5%

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:48 pm

Well it seems pretty much any review you watch by a professional or posted by an amateur on a forum mentions having issues with at least one type of ammo, and that not being a hassle to them.

Heck a lot of guns run great with this but maybe not that. I think mine is fine and Im just unlucky enough to have tried a bunch that didnt work at first.

Just thought the fascinating thing was how much variation there was in outer diameter and in the primer depth once I started paying close attention. You know ive probably tried 8-10 kinds of 357mag and never had even one brand get a little sticky in the chamber.

I guess I should do some reading into how other auto cartridge revolvers perform.
Last edited by badvoltron on Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:50 pm

Now you got me looking at 9mm revolvers again.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:02 pm

WLJ wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:50 pm
Now you got me looking at 9mm revolvers again.
Ive got a cheap 10mm to sell ya!!!

JK, Im actually enjoying this thing besides all the science experiment ammo/moon ring combos at the range the first times out. A noticeable bit more snap than 357 in the same frame but still plenty enjoyable.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:09 pm

badvoltron wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:02 pm
A noticeable bit more snap than 357 in the same frame but still plenty enjoyable.
Try it with Underwood ammo. Underwood will make the ammo you mentioned seem like 22s

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:21 pm

Ha! You just reminded me I did buy a few boxes of hsm bear load, it drops right in and the primers look good. We’ll give that a go this week.

Havent shot underwood in anything yet.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:30 pm

badvoltron wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:21 pm
Ha! You just reminded me I did buy a few boxes of hsm bear load, it drops right in and the primers look good. We’ll give that a go this week.

Havent shot underwood in anything yet.
Not even close to Underwood

10mm Auto HSM-10mm-9-N 200 Round Nose Flat Point-Hard 1041 481 810742022792 50 Handgun
10mm Auto HSM-10mm-8-N 200 Full Metal Jacket 1093 531 837306002939 50 Handgun

Pretty much 40S&W numbers

Underwood
SKU:
Ballistic Coefficient G1:
Box Of:
Bullet Construction:
Jacketed Hollow Point
Bullet Material:
Copper,Lead
Bullet Model:
Sporting
Bullet Weight(gr):
Cartridge:
10mm Auto
Case Type:
Nickel Plated Brass
Gun Type:
Handgun
Hunting:
Medium game,Personal Defense
Lead Free:
No
Muzzle Energy (ft. lbs):

Muzzle Velocity (fps):
Sectional Density:
Supressor Safe:
Yes
Velocity Rating:
Supersonic
Last edited by WLJ on Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:38 pm

Fun in my Glock 29

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:42 pm

Wasnt saying it was the same, just that you reminded me I had purchased another type to try.

Being a guy who shoots several times a week I usually only ever look hard at the range type ammo, havent really gotten into the finer points of ammo yet. Im forever going to be a noob. The amount of info and depth of rabbit holing to be done in firearms easily eclipses any other interests Ive had, except maybe vehicles, difference being Ive had 30 years of vehicle interest and learning already. It feels like Im 30 years behind when it comes to firearms.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:51 pm

badvoltron wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:42 pm
Wasnt saying it was the same, just that you reminded me I had purchased another type to try.

Being a guy who shoots several times a week I usually only ever look hard at the range type ammo, havent really gotten into the finer points of ammo yet. Im forever going to be a noob. The amount of info and depth of rabbit holing to be done in firearms easily eclipses any other interests Ive had, except maybe vehicles, difference being Ive had 30 years of vehicle interest and learning already. It feels like Im 30 years behind when it comes to firearms.
Well you did bring up recoil. :D

The more I know the more I know I don't know.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:38 pm

I've never shot anything auto in a wheel gun, but the issues you describe sound like too high of pressure for the brass.

I shoot a lot of federal red box 10mm. It's one of the few full power ball loads. Give it a try. I know the brass is good.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm

I do believe in the case of the aguila, that shitty brass could have been the issue but take a look at this:

Ammo inc on the left and Blazer on the right, no pressure, just dropped in there. Obvious variation in outer diameter.

I did order a box of S&B today along with more blazer. I plan on grabbing some federal from cabelas this week. I will report back.
Attachments
5C7F686D-FD3F-4B69-8F75-7268C5940A48.jpeg

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:28 pm

Get a hammer and play Wack a Mole

Just kidding.

Definitely not right
10mm headspaces on the case mouth so either something is wrong with the ammo, never tried Ammo Inc, or the the way the cylinder is cut.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:38 pm

Aguila was like that too, didnt stand as tall, and they both press into the cylinder with a fairly light touch. But there is obvious resistance compared to the blazer.

I say there is obvious variation in the OD of these rounds but nothing wrong with them, I mean my super classy hi-point jxp10 runs em all fine. :lol:

Ya’ll are going to make me get out my calipers and measure the od of a bunch of 9mm and 10mm and see if they both vary a bunch.
Last edited by badvoltron on Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:39 pm

I would still contact S&W

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:42 pm

badvoltron wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:38 pm
Aguila was like that too, didnt stand as tall, and they both press into the cylinder with pretty a fairly light touch. But there is obvious resistance compared to the blazer.

I say there is obvious variation in the OD of these rounds but nothing wrong with them, I mean my super classy hi-point jxp10 runs em all fine. :lol:

Ya’ll are going to make me get out my calipers and measure the od of a bunch of 9mm and 10mm and see if they both vary a bunch.
Check the crimp.
Shouldn't matter thought, the cylinder should allow for slight differences in the crimp

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:47 pm

Will do, will also call s&w this week.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Range report:

the only other 10mm I own is the hi-point jxp10 I bought as a joke. It would not run the Aguila either. Ive got about 3.5 boxes that any red name or above forum member can have free if they want to make the drive to shep. Bob has dibs if he see’s this just because he is so close by, hassle ammo might be good for clearing drains if he wants it.

Today I ran: hsm bear loads, federal and more blazer without a single hiccup in the s&w 610.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:43 pm

badvoltron wrote:Range report:

the only other 10mm I own is the hi-point jxp10 I bought as a joke. It would not run the Aguila either. Ive got about 3.5 boxes that any red name or above forum member can have free if they want to make the drive to shep. Bob has dibs if he see’s this just because he is so close by, hassle ammo might be good for clearing drains if he wants it.

Today I ran: hsm bear loads, federal and more blazer without a single hiccup in the s&w 610.
I'm in shepherdsville if pb doesn't take you up on that.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by plumber_bob » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:44 pm

badvoltron wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:17 pm
Range report:

Thanks for the offer, but I already have enough calibers.
Don't need 10mm.

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

Return to “Ammo”