38spl "low felt recoil" -- recommendations please.

Ammo talk and ammo related topics
RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

38spl "low felt recoil" -- recommendations please.

Post by RedRocker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm looking for practice ammo for my senior aunt. She just recently purchased her first handgun, a Ruger LCRx 38spl. Her primary complaint is "recoil", put simply, "it hurts her hand to shoot it". Shes well into her 60s and basically has zero past shooting experience. I've taken her shooting twice to slowly ease her into becoming familiar with the gun and it's operation -- I'm proud to say that as of today, she's "on paper" at 15 feet (baby steps).

With that said, what is a good commercially available ammo for her to practice with? I've heard heavier bullets have less recoil, I've heard that lighter bullets have less recoil (I'm sure both statements are true when combined with certain powder specs). I hear 148gr wadcutters recommended more than any other option, also "cowboy rounds" too.

I figure if I can get her comfortable and competent with the gun using commercial ammo, then if/when she ever needs it for self defense, recoil will be the last thing on her mind regardless of what ammo she has chambered.
Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 108 times

Re: 38spl "low felt recoil" -- recommendations please.

Post by WLJ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Which LCRx does she have?
I just looked them up and one model is 13.5oz and has a rather smallish grip the other 15.7 oz with a larger grip
I would say if she has the 13.5oz model it's lighter weight and small grip are not helping.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:24 pm

WLJ wrote:Which LCRx does she have?
I just looked them up and one model is 13.5oz and has a rather smallish grip the other 15.7 oz with a larger grip
I would say if she has the 13.5oz model it's lighter weight and small grip are not helping.
She has the lighter one, and yes, the lack of weight is not helping. It was sold to her on the premise that the softer grip (softer than a J frame) and the polymer frame would help to absorb the felt recoil.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm

The two compared.

There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Yep, she has the snubby up top

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 pm

This seems to be, so far, the weakest stuff (185 ft.lbs) I can find though I will say I'm not overly fond of WWB ammo
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winches ... -4222.aspx

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:49 pm

primered cases and wax bullets

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Dustin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 pm

CCI Aluminum case stuff is soft shooting might be worth trying a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 pm

The answer is 148 grain wadcutters. [/thread]

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Frailer wrote:The answer is 148 grain wadcutters. [/thread]
This
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Are 148gr Wadcutters easy to find? I don't recall ever seeing them, but Ive never looked either.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 pm

WLJ wrote:The two compared.

My mother had the 13 ounce LCR. She did not like it due to the recoil. Luckily she was able to trade it in for the purchase price and get the larger frame. She can handle that one better.

It's her first (second) firearm and she rather enjoys it now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:30 pm

RedRocker wrote:Are 148gr Wadcutters easy to find? I don't recall ever seeing them, but Ive never looked either.
“Easy” is a relative term. They’re not *nearly* as common (nor as cheap) as they were a few decades ago, but they’re out there:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-specia ... occhi-38la

I love shooting them, and I buy them whenever I find them on sale or at a gun show (just look for the oldest-looking, most battered boxes in the 38 Special section of any ammo dealer’s table). They’re very soft-shooting, very accurate, and they’re nothing to sneeze at for defensive purposes.

RedRocker
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by RedRocker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Frailer wrote:
RedRocker wrote:Are 148gr Wadcutters easy to find? I don't recall ever seeing them, but Ive never looked either.
“Easy” is a relative term. They’re not *nearly* as common (nor as cheap) as they were a few decades ago, but they’re out there:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-specia ... occhi-38la

I love shooting them, and I buy them whenever I find them on sale or at a gun show (just look for the oldest-looking, most battered boxes in the 38 Special section of any ammo dealer’s table). They’re very soft-shooting, very accurate, and they’re nothing to sneeze at for defensive purposes.
So Ive learned -- I visited and called a couple local brick n mortar stores today to no avail. I did however find several online options, and for the most part the prices were between FMJ and HP ammo, and then you add shipping. I lucked into finding some Fiochi at Academy Sports (online) with free shipping. I got one box on the way for my aunt to try out, if she loves it I will find her a few boxes so she can enjoy her new toy. If the recoil is still beyond her comfort zone, Ill just get my hands on a 22LR version of the LCRx and convince her to trade with me.

Return to “Ammo”