Ammo talk and ammo related topics
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Do you have an ammo shortage?

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:48 am

How come I keep seeing posts/threads about people "scoring" 100 rds of .22 and such? Is ammo scarce, or are prices just jacked up? I walk into any gun shop here and there are literally pallets of ammo filling the aisles.

Granted, a lot of it is Chinese surplus that may not be available south of the border. But there are still piles of N. American made ammunition to be had. During the big panic last January, I read about shortages of .223/5.56 and prices up to $1/rd yet I walked out of a store with 1000 rds for under 400 bucks. Typically prices here are marked up considerably over what they are Stateside.

One thing I'd like to know is how much you are paying for .22. Not fancy expensive stuff, I mean the bulk pack Federal. We burn through that crap like nothing, so we usually try to keep a good stockpile. I like to have at least 30 of them (525 rds) on hand at any time, you never know when you're going to get a call to go out for a gopher shoot. Prices here are typically 20-25 bucks for a box the last few years.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Do you have an ammo shortage?

Post by ssracer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:54 am

At this point it's mostly .22 ammo. I can usually walk into a walmart and find a couple of boxes of 9mm, .45 and 5.56, but I haven't seen .22 on the shelf in literally a year. Mostly because people buy all they can as soon as it hits the shelves and take family with them to buy more (3 box limit). Some may be buying it to use, but most seem to be either hoarding it or buying it just to turn around and sell it for a good profit because they know you can't find it in the store.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:12 am

Never seen a limit on amount of ammo you can buy. I have literally bought so much that I've told the cashier "I will be back in to carry out the rest."

I have seen guys buy a whole pallet of ammo and witnessed clerks helping them load it into the truck, bucket brigade-style.

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:24 am

I haven't been able to buy 22 in over a year, it's gone up about 10 bucks in the last 2 yrs too. I scored 50 rounds in Walmart in Nicholasville the other day, and commented to another guy in line after me that it was hard to get. He says " I got 15 thousand rounds at home but I always come in and buy as much as I can"
I says " I guess that's why it's scarce"
I hope everybody gets there belly full soon, and, or companies ramp up the production a lil more, My kids eat it up and Ive burned through stuff I had from 10 yrs ago.

icehouse1
Been liked: 0

Post by icehouse1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:21 am

For the exception of the occasional CCIs that come in, most of the Federal or Winchester bulk is around 4 ~ 4.9 cents per round. If ammo here ( US ) was like where you are, nobody would be worried about it. Honestly, the most that I have seen come into a Walmart around me, is 2 cases of Federal 550 cts. If that happened everyday, no problem, but it only happens about once a month. Usually they only get in a few boxes. If you are not in line, forget it.Yes, I am buying all I can so that I can go shoot any damn time I want!

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:35 am

Yah 22 is the worst followed by 9mm. It would sure be great to go back to the days of finding all the 22 you want. Last time I found it at Gander Mtn for $4.xx for 50 rounds. Not cheap but I picked up the last 3 boxes. Online retailers seem to be having it come up more often now.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:36 am

I haven't been able to find any 22 either. Every now and again I'll find a 50ct box here and there but that's it. It kills me when people post stuff like "I bought 5k rounds of 22 today. I'm gonna stack it with the 50k I've got already".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by bigelowe » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:19 pm

.22 is almost nonexistent. I bought 4-50rd boxes at prices I shouldnt have paid,but it was all I had seen in a long long time
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Last weekend, Shooters had 250 525rd Fed bulk and were gone in a day and a half. They had a few hundred 325rd Automatch and they gone by the day after. That was the most .22lr I've seen since the 1st week Cabelas was open. I got one of their ammo boxes with 2100rds of Fed 525rd boxes the first week they were open.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm still shooting out of the same 525 wooden Winchester box that I bought at Walmart last December....last time I saw a box in a store...should have bought more than one...lol

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Buying cases of 5000 rds of .22lr for $250/ea is a thing of the past, and may never be seen again. So many new people are buying new rimfire weapons and having trouble getting ammo for them, that every round that hits store shelves just vanishes., and prices are reflecting that.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Wyldman wrote:Buying cases of 5000 rds of .22lr for $250/ea is a thing of the past, and may never be seen again. So many new people are buying new rimfire weapons and having trouble getting ammo for them, that every round that hits store shelves just vanishes., and prices are reflecting that.
I sure hope not... I'm happy as hell to see all the new shooters, but sure hope the manufactures catch up on production soon!

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I bought blazer 550 rd in sportsmanship warehouse last week for $26 and change out the door. They had quite a bit limit 1
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Anyone wanna sell me some .22? I had to ask...

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Wyldman wrote:Buying cases of 5000 rds of .22lr for $250/ea is a thing of the past, and may never be seen again.
Midway just had some Blazer last week for $195, shit went fast.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:21 pm

jmeister wrote:
Wyldman wrote:Buying cases of 5000 rds of .22lr for $250/ea is a thing of the past, and may never be seen again.
Midway just had some Blazer last week for $195, shit went fast.
Yeah, I got a text and email and was on it immediately! and no luck...haha

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:40 pm

2 years ago I was buying and selling ammo at the flea market and the shows and was making a small markup but enough that it added to the bottom line of what I was bringing in. When the panic hit I stopped selling almost completely even though I saw the people out there making 2 and 300% or more markup on a lot of the ammo they were moving.. Hell one guy was selling federal 9mm for $36 a box which is 2 1/2 times what it is at walmart when it is in stock and $88 a brick of 550 .22lr and he was selling the hell out of it. he was also paying people to search it out all over Louisville so he was coming up with considerably more than a lot of people....

Even what I did sell off this year I tried not to kill people on the price, still looking to pick up more .22 to keep here at the house but I think after this scare I will only buy and sell calibers that I myself don't use here and stock up/shoot more of what I do have..
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Had a Cabela's gift card. Ordered some stuff online and threw in the 1 box of 22LR that they will let a person buy. Seven cents a round for plinker stuff.

Anything else I need is pretty easy to find in bulk again.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Return to “Ammo”