KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

308 Polymer Cased Ammunition In Production

Post by WLJ » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:40 am

PCP .308 Polymer Cased Ammunition Finally In Production
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... roduction/

There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Re: 308 Polymer Cased Ammunition In Production

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:42 am

What is the benefit to that?
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:54 am

Huge weight savings. I remember back when you could buy polymer cased 223. Put that in a magpul mag and it was very light. Very noticeable.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:01 am

justang1997 wrote:Huge weight savings. I remember back when you could buy polymer cased 223. Put that in a magpul mag and it was very light. Very noticeable.

Why did they stop making it?

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 am

Non reloadable I assume?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:40 am

I don't know why they stopped. It used to come in red white or blue cases and was on the cheap side. If I were to guess they probably had issues with either the round sliding down into the case or maybe a double feed being made worse by a round possibly bending or the case splitting. Something a TRB can't easily fix.
I think its interesting they came back out with the ammo in 308. The weight savings are probably greater and I'd say the pentagon wants to save weight on linked 308 for crew served weapons. Both soldier carried and vehicle carried. I remember our vehicles suspensions squatting like crazy after we loaded up the guns and ammo.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:21 am

Dave1965 wrote:
justang1997 wrote:Huge weight savings. I remember back when you could buy polymer cased 223. Put that in a magpul mag and it was very light. Very noticeable.

Why did they stop making it?
If I recall right, one of the biggest problems was heat build up in the chamber. No not the casing melting, but the fact that metal casings help carry away some of the chamber heat with them as they are ejected and polymer casings don't do as that readily and it's taken a while to work that out. Don't know for a fact if this was a factor or not but it's what I heard.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am

I predict these will be caught up with the "undetectable guns" nonsense.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:31 am

scorpionmain wrote:I predict these will be caught up with the "undetectable guns" nonsense.
That popped into my mind as well.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:08 pm

scorpionmain wrote:I predict these will be caught up with the "undetectable guns" nonsense.
Of course they will....dont you remember the commericals "Plastics make things possible" lol

burn360
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by burn360 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:42 pm

I still have 3 boxes of the .223 I thought it was great
Hard Core Wild Banshee Style!!!!!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:28 pm

More info and pictures

PCP Ammunition: Polymer Cased Ammo
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013 ... mmunition/

A selection from the article
Forras explained the science behind the polymer. When a cartridge is fired the brass casing expands slightly outward engaging the chamber and then releasing the bullet from the pressure that’s built up. According to Forras, brass casings often do not completely engage the chamber due to minor deficiencies in the casing or wear in the chamber. This causes the release of the bullet before or after maximum pressure is reached, which causes differences in velocity and ultimately accuracy.

The PCP polymer casings are designed to completely expand and engage the interior of the chamber to maximize the pressure of the cartridge during firing. The bullet leaves at the ideal pressure which increases velocity and accuracy.

Foras stated that PCP has conducted it’s own tests and discovered an increase of 65-75 fps consistently across all their different cartridge calibers.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Review

Review: Polymer Cased Rifle Ammunition from PCP Ammo
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/pcp-ammo-review/

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Seems like it would swell and shrink from hot to cold and cause jams being plastic.
And currently $2 a round!~!!!!!! :o

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:20 pm

I bought two boxes of this stuff and will be testing it in my AR-10 as soon as the weather warms up ac little. They were $39.99/20 & PCP only allowed me to buy 2 boxes.

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Return to “Ammo”