M1 garand issue?

How to, troubleshooting, gun fixes, smithing issues, it all goes here.
badvoltron
Little Butthole
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 44 times

M1 garand issue?

Post by badvoltron » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:38 pm

So this is my first garand, an expert grade from the CMP. I shot it for the first time today. Out of maybe 150 rounds the op rod/charging handle popped off of the lug on the bolt twice. Im pretty familiar with m14/m1a and never saw anything like that. It popped right back on without any type of force or disassembly. Maybe the rifle is fine and Im the one with issues? Anyone have advice? Thanks in advance!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: M1 garand issue

Post by WLJ » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:14 pm

Without knowing more it could be ammo related.
M1 Garands are picky about their ammo and require ammo in a very specific power range and burn rate or you risk bending the op-rod. Check you op-rod and see if it's bent. Some ammo companies make 30-06 ammo specifically for Garands for this reason. This issue was largely fixed in the M-14.

Or could be a worn lug.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Re: M1 garand issue?

Post by badvoltron » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:21 pm

Sorry I should have mentioned that, I was shooting hornady match grade ammo specifically produced for a stock Garand. However my rifle had a garand gear brand ported gas plug installed because I planned on changing to cheaper commercial ammo with higher pressures after I ran the match grade, trying to avoid things like a bent op rod.

I brought the stock plug with me in case the rifle had any trouble running a bit low on gas, but it was a trouble free day other than that op rod somehow losing engagement with the bolt.

I will disassemble and check for a bend, and do some reading on where exactly they bend etc. thanks.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:07 pm

Got digging into it a little more today and its most likely a worn out op rod recess where it catches the bolt. Could also be a bend, could also be the rod was tensioned/fitted wrong or a few other small things.

I think Im going to contact the cmp, I read they take good care of you, so lets see what they say next.

Another good option was sending the op rod out to a place that specializes in getting them within spec, I believe they were called columbus machine.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:23 pm

Being that you popped for an expert grade I’d definitely start with contacting CMP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
These users liked the author ssracer for the post:
Niceguy
Rating: 12.5%

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:50 am

Well. Not very happy with the way this has gone.

Anyone want to tell me the proper technique for how you pull back on the oprod to operate the rifle? I am being told if Im using my index finger Im doing it wrong and im part of the problem as in Im pulling it into the disengage position on the receiver….

The cmp was happy to blame my technique even though I explained the oprod jumps off after being fired. Even though online im not seeing a damn thing about how Im supposed to pull the oprod, but what I do see is this is a super common issue always having to do with the oprod itself or how it was fit.

I think im done with the cmp after the runaround Ive received to this point and now this telling me im doing it wrong without explanation of whats correct. Probably going to send my oprod off to columbus machine but also just buy another oprod thats within spec to try.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:59 am

Yeah, saw some talk of how you pull back on the on the oprod can cause the oprod to jump off the lug.
But it's shouldn't be that easy to do unless something is worn/bent somewhere otherwise you would have seen hordes of complains during the war(s).
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:10 am

Am I supposed to use my left hand pinky, my big toe? We may never know. My thumb maybe, I dont see what Im yanking on it with making a difference on hitting the disconnect spot on the receiver. Really wish he would have explained instead of just saying im the issue and fucking back off.
Last edited by badvoltron on Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:54 am

Everything I read is it could be
-Oprod
-Worn guide lug
-Oprod track
Or even a combo of the above

Also seen some mention of oversized gas port sending too much gas to the piston thus bending the oprods and putting wear on the lugs

Don't think you're going to get much help from CMP. Hopefully I'm wrong in that.

Have seen this site mentioned a few times for repairs https://www.columbusmachine.com/oprod.htm

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Thu May 25, 2023 1:30 am

Second time out for this rifle the other day. Still dealing with some garand learning curves.

As far as the op rod popping off I now believe it was a combination of things. This time out the op rod only jumped off once and it didnt entirely disconnect like previously.

This time it was extremely difficult to push the loaded clips all way down till they clipped into place, new problem and a frustrating one.

Spent a few hours googling and reading and learned a few things. Other people are having issues with these newly reparked “expert” grade rifles too. It seems the new parkerization process is leaving a thicker rougher finish than the original and its causing some hiccups, like the clips install issue I was experiencing. Its recommended to disassemble those parts and give them a light scrub with fine steel wool or a scotch bright and just knock down the finish slightly, also lubrication is key, I should have read deeper into proper garand lubrication. The rifle definitely came to me dry and Ive definitely missed a few lubrication areas in my rush to go play.

As far as the op rod: I sent detailed pics to the cmp. I also did all the measuring at home and checking for fit and straightness as I could find info on. I discovered a few areas of that new cmp stock that were definitely contacting that op rod, going to sand the stock for a lil clearance, probably knock down that finish also. Continue to watch my loading technique and report back. I did buy a replacement back up op rod I plan to send off for a refurb.

Still really enjoying the M1 garand experience though. Its definitely a rifle I want to take the time to get good at in all respects. I want to be able to run that thing as fast and slick and confidently as I can an AK, may even slap a lil optic on there to piss off grampa.

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:10 am

https://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease/

Putting this link here for future me or anyone else working through garand issues. Got some snap caps in the mail yesterday so I could practice loading and play with this action more. Wow I missed a few critical lubrication spots, a garand is not an m14. Anyways this thing is loading super easy now everything feels super fast and slick.

Going to take her out this week again, I have a feeling my issues are over after the latest little round of clearance-ing the stock for the op rod and getting the magazine/loading mech moving slick as snot. Ive got real usgi surplus ammo to run this week too.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:34 am

If you need it looked at my shop works on them
I have my my late father M1 and have used it for match shooting .

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:34 am

If you need it looked at my shop works on them
I have my my late father M1 and have used it for match shooting .

badvoltron
Little Butthole

Post by badvoltron » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:45 am

Awesome dude! I just had it out a few days ago and its still way too hard to push a loaded clip into the locked position and Im stumped, lol. Funny enough a clip full of snap caps will easily gently click right into place.

I’ll send you a text this week at the number you posted.

Appreciate you reaching out.

Return to “The smithy”