Thermold AR15 Magazine

If you have a straight up REVIEW or a firearm, post it up here.
GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Thermold AR15 Magazine

Post by GPtuners » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:28 pm

So, right after the panic, I started to build my first AR. When I found the lower, I wanted to get a mag- any mag for the build. Unfortunately, everyone was on a buying spree, and when I asked to guy selling me the lower if he had any mags, he said the ONLY one he had was a Thermold. Now I'm not really a plastic guy, but everyone seemed to like Magpul Pmags a lot, so I trusted them through other people's experiences. I just wasn't sure if the Thermold was equally as nice as the PMags.

So, I never trusted the Thermold magazine, but I hadn't had a chance to test it.

Yesterday was that test.

Initial Thoughts:
The magazine had a cheap feel to it immediately. People are drawn to and recognize Quality, even if they know nothing of the subject. Something just bleeds though in the fit, finish, and feel of an object. This magazine had none of those qualities. It was too thick to get in and out of the mag well, it felt soft and just looked horrible.

First Test:
I was really hoping that this mag would prove me wrong. I'd love to have another magazine ready to go. Some friends and I went shooting yesterday, and although I do not have my AR build complete, I knew that SOMEONE would bring an AR. Of course, I was right, and I grabbed the mag and inserted it into the weapon. First charge- failure to feed. "WHAT?!?! Okay, it's probably my fault. Let me try again.
[pause]
Okay that's better."

Took about eight shots. Jam. Failure to feed again. Ugh. Charge it, ready.

Shoot a few more- jam. Charge it, ready. Shot again. Finally... CLICK. What? Checked two shots left in mag. Inserted mag, charged- pulled trigger.. CLICK.

The last two rounds wouldn't even come up to the top of the magazine.

I'm done.

The way I look at it, a magazine has only one purpose in life. It keeps the weapon satisfied by feeding it to it's heart's content. If it can not perform these duties, it has outlive it's usefulness.

One last test:
I load eight rounds into the magazine. I take sight of my target. I shoot slowly, to make sure every last round hits its intended mark. After the first string, I can't see the center of the target anymore. I aim a bit higher, then a bit lower on my last two shots. Not a single failure to feed, not a single shot missed. But what would you expect from my HK USPc 45?

Wait.. what?

Here are the results:

F*ck you, Thermold.
Last edited by GPtuners on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Thermold AR15 Magazine

Post by ken6881 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 pm

That sucks but good shooting
Ky CCDW Instructor

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I had a thermold long before the panic and learned I didn't care for them. I left one mag loaded with 20 rounds and stored it for a couple of weeks to return and find that both feed lips had cracked and the mag was rendered useless. I had a similar situation with another mag from the same lot as the other mag. A feed lip broke broke when the bolt stripped a shell from the magazine and caused a jam that wasn't pleasant to clear.

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:41 pm

So I made the right decision! :lol:

I was asked why I didn't just sell it. I wouldn't want to sell someone something that I don't have faith in, especially if they might have to depend on it for their life. Plus it was a lot of fun. :)

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Lesson learned, use it as a target and move on. If you still only have the one mag, I'll give you a GI mag, so you can at least run your rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by Wyldman on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Thermold AR15 Magazine

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:49 pm

My buddy bought some who got into AR's after the panic started unfortunately. He kept putting off buying one and finally got one. He shot his first rifles with me yesterday and the thermolds were double feeding and not picking up rounds. I said wtf is this magazine and he said its a Magpul. I said that is not a Magpul haha. Gave him my pmag and it worked flawlessly as predicted.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:59 pm

I've purchased 2x 20 round Lancer mags from Shooters. Hope I don't have the same experience as you with Thermold.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Thermold AR15 Magazine

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

I've heard good things about Lancer not so on Thermold

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Thermold AR15 Magazine

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

I've heard good things about Lancer not so on Thermold

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 pm

KYgundude wrote:I've purchased 2x 20 round Lancer mags from Shooters. Hope I don't have the same experience as you with Thermold.
I have a couple of Lancers and have not had those issues with them.

I have a couple of 20 round thermolds that I use for bench shooting when sighting stuff in since they are the only 20 round mags I have. They do not see any use other than that and they do not stay loaded.

Good on you! Never, never sell shitty mags to anyone. Pet peeve of mine.

I sold some Mini-14 after market mags that I could never get to work, but there was FULL disclosure to the buyer.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

Wyldman wrote:Lesson learned, use it as a target and move on. If you still only have the one mag, I'll give you a GI mag, so you can at least run your rifle.
Thanks, for the offer, but I have six Pmags now.
jackalo626 wrote:I said wtf is this magazine and he said its a Magpul. I said that is not a Magpul haha.
Definitely not a Magpul!
ChopperDoc wrote:Good on you! Never, never sell shitty mags to anyone. Pet peeve of mine.
Me too! I just hate sticking people with something that I know has a problem.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Glad you got fixed up. I hate to see a rifle without it's attendant "accessories".

Now, you need to get about 34 more PMags and you'll be gtg!
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Harb

Post by Harb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Wyldman wrote:Lesson learned, use it as a target and move on. If you still only have the one mag, I'll give you a GI mag, so you can at least run your rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Hey, if he doesn't want it, I'll take it!

Return to “Range Reports”