SPR Range Report

If you have a straight up REVIEW or a firearm, post it up here.
Da-Law-Dawg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

SPR Range Report

Post by Da-Law-Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:11 am

Not too long ago, I built a dedicated SPR. This rig was built for a specific purpose, moreover, for work. My goal was to source components for an uber-reliable rifle capable of good accuracy with factory ammo that was readily available to me. Being a duty weapon, this was paramount.

The rifle was spec'd out with a lower I already had on hand. The lower is a Precision Firearms Spartan billet lower. Installed in the lower was a Gieselle SSA-E trigger, which is by far, one of the best AR triggers I've used. It is a non-adjustable two stage trigger that is roughly 2.2 lbs on the first stage and 1.2 lbs on the back side. The trigger breaks like a glass straw with a clean first stage take-up and a very audible and tactile reset. Lastly, the lower is set up with a MagPul PRS stock. The stock uses a standard rifle-length buffer and tube and is adjustable for LOP and cheek height. As a handy feature, the bottom of the stock has a molded in rail for a mono-pod attachment and features two sling points.

With the lower out of the way, I set out sourcing parts for the upper. I started with a VLTOR MUR-1S upper receiver. For the internals, I used a Les Baer chromed NM bolt carrier with a chromed Young MFG match bolt and rounded her out with a mil-spec CH with a Badger latch. I settled on a Noveske 18" 1-7 twist SPR barrel with mid-length gas system. Being a polygonal twist tube, they are normally easier to clean and deliver great accuracy. I chose a 1-7 due to the fact, I wanted a barrel capable of launching the heavier pills for light barrier penetration. I went with a Daniel Defense Lite 12.0 rail to keep down the weight and round the package out.

Lastly was the optics and mounting platform. I settled on a Nightforce NXS 3.5x15x50 with an MLR reticle, .10 MIL adustment with zero stops. Holding everything together was a Larue Tactical LT-104 SPR mount. The combo is rock solid and built for serious use.

After I got everything sourced and lined out, here's the finished product as I started my day at the range....

After everything came together, a brief break-in of the barrel took place. Using standard ball ammo, I wasn't setting out to test the accuracy potential. However, I loaded up a few 77gr SMK's during that time and was more than pleased. However, the rifle had to deliver with factory ammo and that leads us farther.

For the true "tale of the tape", I sourced two different rounds. One on the light side and a heavier pill to see what the Noveske barrel was capable of accross the board. I settled on Remington 55gr Premier Accu-Tip and Hornady 75gr TAP FPD.

The weather was ideal, sunny and 85 degrees with a very light breeze. I sat up in the shade and got to work. After I got everything lined out, I proned out behind the SPR and fired a three shot string with ball ammo to verify zero. A quick look and I was where I needed to be. I settled on the Hornady TAP FPD as a baseline for the 1-7 barrel and got everything ready.

I loaded three rounds of the TAP load and settled in behind the rifle. I was getting a tad of mirage, but nothing to serious. I settled on the target I verfied my zero with the ball ammo on and took my time. I was impressed with the TAP during firing, there was little to no smoke from the ammo and very light recoil from the 75gr round. Hornady states they use a low flash propellant in their TAP offerings, that equates to little, if any puff of smoke during daytime firing. According to their literature, the round is supposed to be clocking 2790 fps. I didn't bring along a chronograph for this outing to verify the velocities of the ammo.

Three rounds later, I took a trip to the target to see what I had. Much to my liking, I was pleased with the outcome. Tickled pink would actually be more appropriate!

The center three rounds were the TAP ammo, the left three were from verifying my zero with ball ammo.

After I ran the TAP thru the SPR it was time to try the Remington offering. I wanted to see if the 1-7 would stabilize the lighter 55gr pill, especially after seeing how well it liked the 75gr Hornady fodder. I hung a fresh target and got ready to get back to work.

I loaded five rounds of the Remington ammo in the PMAG, dropped the bolt and settled behind the rifle. I took my time and eased the five rounds off. I noticed a tad keener crack from the 55gr offering in comparison to the TAP ammo. Recoil was on par with a light muzzle signature of smoke in comparison to the TAP as well.

After I got the five rounds off, I took another trip to the berm. I was again pleased with the results.

Having tested two different rounds from opposite ends of the weight spectrum, I was well pleased in the performance of the rig as a whole. Having sourced and built this one myself, again, I was more than happy. The components used lived up to my expectations more than I can say. The ammo used was great and delivered the goods without a hitch, giving accuracy that was above what was expected to boot. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the package as a whole.

I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's BLOOD. I have no problem going out the EXACT same way!!

DDgunslinger

Re: SPR Range Report

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:19 am

Very nice rifle and great review

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

SPR Range Report

Post by ssracer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:25 am

Nice!

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 62 times

SPR Range Report

Post by Marcus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 am

Excellent write up and a great looking rifle. How does it shoot Wolf?:lol:
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

SPR Range Report

Post by ssracer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am

Marcus wrote:Excellent write up and a great looking rifle. How does it shoot Wolf?:lol:
he hasn't taken it hunting yet :llama:

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

Excellent write up and nice shooting!

Da-Law-Dawg

Post by Da-Law-Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:29 pm

ssracer wrote:
Marcus wrote:Excellent write up and a great looking rifle. How does it shoot Wolf?:lol:
he hasn't taken it hunting yet :llama:

Oh contrare! Dunno on Wolf but the 75gr TAP is hell on 'yotes!

Shot this female late yesterday evening behind the house. The 75gr HP entered behind the right leg and tore a large hole ahead of the left flank.....DRT!!

I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's BLOOD. I have no problem going out the EXACT same way!!

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

SPR Range Report

Post by ssracer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Awesome

Return to “Range Reports”