Colt's S80 Gov't Model in Super .38

If you have a straight up REVIEW or a firearm, post it up here.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Colt's S80 Gov't Model in Super .38

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:24 am

I bought this pistol a year or so ago because I've got an old Super I can't bring myself to shoot. Wanted to try out the legendary Colt so I found a new version but I've never gotten around to taking it shooting until this weekend.

Wow. Awesome pistol. I almost sold it a while ago but now I'm glad I didn't. It is a frickin laser. No recoil, loud as hell,and a carnage machine. I might be thinning the .45 herd just so I can shoot this one more. People say the Hi Power is the improved 1911, I say the Super is the peak of mankind's engineering.

I didn't subject it to any rigorous torture testing, I didn't run thousands of rounds through it til the point of failure. Sorry if that's a disappointment.

I did run a couple hundred through it though and it never failed to put the round where I wanted. It didn't seem to need a "break in" like people claim of Colts (or any other mass produced 1911s), I never had one ftf or fte. I know a couple hundred isn't maybe very extensive testing but so far so good. I've also never had a brand new Colt, all my shooters are previously enjoyed.

This isn't a very thorough test/report, I shot exclusively Winchester 130 gr FMJ +P through it. I'm not set up to load this one and there isn't much to choose from at my local gun shops.

I also don't have any entertaining range pics of it.

Mags hold 9, edges are sharp. It has a plastic msh but that didn't affect anything other than my old fashioned sense of "It ain't steel so it ain't right."

The trigger is nice and I bet most people would never know its an S80 if you didn't tell them. The sights are clear and crisp. This pistol practically shoots itself. Even though its not an old one my dad did comment that it was a great pistol. He's pretty particular with Colts, isn't interested if they aren't vintage. But I bet he has one of these in the near future. He's also a really terrible shot with a pistol and did well with it!

If you have a chance to run a few rounds through one, take it. Great pistol so far, this is now in the must shoot category for me.

Worst range report ever. But what a great pistol.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Colt's S80 Gov't Model in Super .38

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:26 am

Lots of lint, I wiped it off with a dusty paper towel before I took pics.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:32 am

Sweet gun!

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:05 am

Very nice.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

DDgunslinger
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:29 am

Shot group? and Distance?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:11 am

I've wanted one of these and one in 10mm also...

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:13 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:Shot group? and Distance?
Wasn't shooting on paper for groups, I set up a mini Hickok45 type thing. I had pop cans and bottles spread out from 5 yds to 50. Just plinking, randomly picking targets. I should be more serious about shooting sometimes but I just wanted to have some fun with my son that day.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Niceguy wrote:I've wanted one of these and one in 10mm also...
I never got around to shooting the 10 that day. We shot the Super and put some rounds through an old S70 .45 I took along too.

DDgunslinger
Been liked: 0

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Mexican Kerry wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:Shot group? and Distance?
Wasn't shooting on paper for groups, I set up a mini Hickok45 type thing. I had pop cans and bottles spread out from 5 yds to 50. Just plinking, randomly picking targets. I should be more serious about shooting sometimes but I just wanted to have some fun with my son that day.
Lol fair enough

Return to “Range Reports”