S&W 1917: Best of both worlds?

If you have a straight up REVIEW or a firearm, post it up here.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

S&W 1917: Best of both worlds?

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Never done a range report before, but here goes.

Recently picked up this old Brazilian contract revolver and had a chance to try it out this weekend. Combines two of my favorite things: classic Smith and .45 acp. It uses moon clips which I find great. Easier and faster for me than the average speedloader, drop in and done.

My target was a chunk of spruce log about 8" thick, and I fired 6 from about 10 yds. One handed, no support, firing as fast as I could reaquire my target. Not a prize winner in a target competition maybe, but not really what the pistol was designed for. If the Kaiser was coming over the top of the trench at you it would be adequate accuracy.

The moon clips are a pain to unload without the demooning tool (which I don't have), so after dumping all my previously loaded rounds, I settled for the old fashioned method of loading one at a time. No issues, the cartridge headspaces itself. The advantage of the moon clip is that you can use the ejector to pop out the spent cases. Without, you need to either pick em out one at a time or give it a shake and let gravity do the work.

As much as I like the .45, I've never really looked into the physical penetrating power of the round. Typically the only thing I shoot is paper which doesn't really give any indication. I took my hatchet and chopped up the block to get an idea of what was going on inside. Penetration was pretty consistently around 2/3 of the way through the wood. Don't know what that translates to in numbers, but damned if I want to get hit by it.

Obviously the bullet's path is affected by density, etc, as the two channels take different directions once entering the wood. Both shots fired from same point/angle/range. No secret there, just thought it was interesting to see the difference.

I had three stack up against each other despite slightly different entrance points. Just thought that was cool.

Recoil was slightly harsher than firing the same round out of a 1911, but no surprise there. Not unpleasant, very manageable. If I wasn't so stuck on old fashioned ways, I'd fit a set of Hogue or Pachmyer wraparound grips on and it would be that much more of a breeze to shoot.

Like I said, I'm no firearm reviewer, just messing around with a new toy and I had a lot of fun so I thought I'd share.

Harleyx2
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: S&W 1917: Best of both worlds?

Post by Harleyx2 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:27 pm

That pretty cool MK

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:58 pm

I'd buy one if I had the money! Looks like a blast to shoot.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Ian wrote:I'd buy one if I had the money! Looks like a blast to shoot.
To buy one of the new Smith .45's is money. Not sure about in the US, but here they are 12-1300 bucks if you can find one. There are places that say they can get em, but I've learned never leave money in a store without taking the merchandise with me when I leave.

Finding an old one like this doesn't seem too hard, I've found probably half a dozen in as many months. Paid $400 for mine, I think it was money well spent. I have several other revolvers and if I had to pick just one, this is it from what I've seen so far.

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Nice write-up MK. I would love to have one of those.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Great gun, and great report.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks folks, if I'd had more time I would have stretched out my range a bit just to see if I could hit stuff further out. I'm not a great pistol shot though, don't get enough practice.

Return to “Range Reports”