Tactical Training Q & A

Real World Training for Real World Situations.

http://kyfirearmstraining.com/
DDgunslinger
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Tactical Training Q & A

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:29 pm

I would like to address some common questions about training, gear selection, firearms and drills.

Q: Who should I go to for training?
A: Seek training from as many different instructors as possible. Many instructors come from similar backgrounds, but there opinions and train of thoughts may differ based on personal experience. Therefore, by learning from a variety of reputable instructors can help you become a well rounded shooter. As well as help you find out what works for you.

Q: How often should I train?
A: As much as time and money allows, but keep in mind that not all training needs to take place at the range. There are many different drills and fundamental you can practice at home. Some of these include: mag changes, weapon draw, dime/washer drills, shadow boxes, and etc.

Q: What should I train with?
A: You should train with every weapon system you own. However, typically your EDC weapon should be your primary concern. This is the firearm you carry with you at all times, therefore you should be as proficient with it as you can. Your HD weapon whatever that might be should also be high priority because this is the weapon you will use in case you must ever defend your home against an intruder.

Q: Who should seek training?
A: Anyone who owns a firearm, if you own it you should know how to use it. I would also recommend if you have a spouse or significant other that they also learn how to use the firearms within the house hold. If you have children that are of age, I highly recommend getting them involved. The Appleseed events are a great way to do this.

Q: What should I expect when attending a firearm training course?
A: Every Instructor and course is different. However, you should come prepared with some basic knowledge of your firearm and how it operates. You should also know your physical limitations because some courses are more physically demanding then others. Lastly, you should come with an open mind and the willingness to learn all you can. Just because you come with long back ground of firearms experience doesn't mean there isn't always more to learn. We never stop learning, and we must always strive to be better.

Q: What should I bring with me to a firearms training course?
A: There are a few things that will always be needed. Some of these items include: Eye protection, Hearing protection, gloves, spare parts, multi tool, appropriate attire, and any other items you typically take to the range. Some instructors may require you to bring additional items, so make sure to look at the course packing list.

Q: What kind of gear should I buy?
A: This is all based on shooter preference and what kind of firearms training you plan on doing. Most Tactical Carbine course will require to to have either a Chest rig/Plate Carrier or a belt rig. This is all based on what you prefer. I recommend trying a few different rigs and deciding what works best for you. I personally prefer chest rigs/plate carrier because it keeps all my equipment consolidated up high and in a smaller work space. The keeps my movements short and help increase speed when operating my weapon. Once again this is just my personal preference. Another important piece of kit, is a good holster fore secondary weapon system, i.e pistol. There are many different makes and models of holsters, so take the time to try a few. This particular subject matter can be extensive, but hopefully that helps to give you an idea of what to think about.

Q: What do think is better an AR or AK?
A: This subject has been discussed and argued for as long as I can remember. So I will leave it at this, both platforms have there pros and cons. Whatever weapon system you decide works best for you, go out and train with it. Both weapons are extreme effective when in the hands of a proficient shooter.

Q: What kind of pistol should I use?
A: This much like the AR/AK debate is all based on shooter preference. I believe simple is best; Glocks, XDs, M&Ps and other pistols that do not have external safety make it easier on the shooter to operate under stress. However, find what works best for you and train with it.

Q: Do I need a CCDW to take a pistol course?
A: In short, no you don't. However, there might be a few instructors out there that may require them to attend their courses.

Q: I'm not going over seas, or planning on going to war so why should I train?
A: Bad things happen to good people, and Fate favors the prepared. Knowledge is power, so you might as well gain as much as you can. If you own a firearms, there is a reason for it. You don't need to go out and spend thousands of dollars a year on training. However, it does behoove you to become proficient with the firearms you own. Otherwise, your just holding them for someone else.

Q: What other type of training should I take?
A: Basic Medical training, bushcraft and survival training are great skills to learn. They can be used in a variety of situations.

These are some of the most common questions I receive, if you have other please feel free to ask. There is a good chance that if you don't know, other may not either. I'd like to see this become an extensive thread that can become a valuable tool for all those looking for training and experience.

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Tactical Training Q & A

Post by bigelowe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Great Q&A. Thanks DD
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 am

Q & A Part II

This basically answers questions about gear and weapon selection.

Q: What kind of AR should I get?
A: This is like asking, what kind of shoes you should wear. The first question you should ask yourself is what do you plan on using it for. There are several reasons people buy AR15s, besides the recent push for a AWB. Here are a few common reasons: Hunting, Competition/Sporting, Training, Home Defense, and just simply a fun range weapon. So let me break this down a little bit in my personal opinion.

Hunting - You are typically looking for an AR15 platform with a 16inch barrel or longer. Most varmint hunters prefer a heavier barrel. Most varmint set ups run a fixed A2 stock. A rail system is optional because most don't put more than a set of bipods on the end of the weapon. Typically, you are looking at magnified optics for this setup somewhere in the 3x9 range. There are several companies that offer the AR15 platform in a varmint rifle configuration. Some of these companies include: Rock River, Stag, Remington and DPMS.

Competition/Sporting - This pertains to the 3 Gun shooters out there. This AR15 set up will typically run a 16 or 18inch barrel. Most 3gun rifles are kept as light weight as possible, because speed and accuracy is how you when matches. I've seen 3gun rifles us both fixed and collapsable stocks. Most 3gun shooters run two sets of optics. The primary being a magnified optic like a 1x4 or 3x9, nothing extremely high powered. The second optic being a RDS (Red Dot Sight) that is mounted at the 1 o' clock position (right handed shooters) or the 11 o' clock position (left handed shooters). The weapon may run a VFG, AFG or hand stop on a rail system.

Training - This is the AR15 that is set up to be a work horse. Most AR15s in this class will run a barrel 16inches or less. It is meant to compact and be manipulated in close quarters. Most prefer a collapsable stock, but there is nothing wrong with fixed. This is where the RDS shines, with it's unlimited eye relief and easy acquisition. Most shooters run a complete rail system, this allows for more versatility. The VFG, AFG, and hand stop are prevalent in this class. Depending on the shooter (Mil/Leo) there maybe IR devices mounted to the weapon as well. A weapon mounted light is also very common. These are typically the ARs that you look for Chrome lined and CHF barrels because of the high round count they typically see. Most parts will be Mil-Spec on these weapons. Although any reliable AR15 can used, most tend to stick with more reputable companies when building a rifle for this class. Some of these manufactures include: Colt, LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM, and many others.

Home Defense - An AR15 in this class will typically be 16inches and have a collapsable stock. However, this is shooter dependent because they may simply use an AR from the above class that has already been discussed. However, a big thing to note is that this weapon much like an AR in the training class will run a weapon mounted light. Although the AR15 has been very much debated as good HD weapon, it is still a good viable option. Most of the manufactures I have listed above can serve the purpose of a HD AR15.

Range Weapon - This is all shooter dependent, you can go as cheap or expensive as you want. You can set the weapon up depending on your style of shooting. I've seen KISS rifles, all the way to AR10s with $2k optics out at the range.

Please keep in mind, these are broken down into my own personal opinions of what each class entails. This hopefully will give you a base line on what kind of AR you want.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 am

Q: What kind of optic should I get for my weapon?
A: This is very much like the AR questions, there are a countless number of options. Therefore, it is important to chose the optic based on what you plan to use it for. However, in this case I'm gonna speak primarily about what kind of optic to use for training/courses. The RDS system was developed to help shooters, quickly and accurately engage targets. Therefore, it is the preferred optic of choice. Although you can run iron sights, and magnified optics at a training course, some drills make it very difficult to maintain proper sight picture and eye relief. This is a major issue if you are trying to accurately engage a target. So most shooters prefer a RDS, that doesn't require a proper sight picture and eye relief. Now let me list a few different manufactures:

Primary Arms - Good Budget Red Dot sight, several different models. They are very similar to the AimPoint line of optics and can be found in the $100 price range.

Vortex - Another great budget Red Dot sights, they also have few different models. They can be found in the $150-300 price range

AimPoint - Considered to be some of the best red dot sights on the market, known for the rugged durability and outstanding battery life. These typically run $400-700 depending on what model.

EoTech - The other most reputable red dot sight manufacture. These are slightly different than the above mentioned RDS. EoTech runs a holographic reticle which some shooters prefer. They can also be found in the $400-700 price range.

There are many other RDS systems out there, these are just my top four that I would recommend.

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Okay, can you give your stance on VFG, AFG, and hand stops? I know it's "personal preference", but you actually have to have some idea of what you like first. As someone with no rifle training, I'll just head in the suggested direction and learn from scratch with that.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 pm

GPtuners wrote:Okay, can you give your stance on VFG, AFG, and hand stops? I know it's "personal preference", but you actually have to have some idea of what you like first. As someone with no rifle training, I'll just head in the suggested direction and learn from scratch with that.

Not to take away from Gunslinger's response, I just wanted to chime in that I had to try them all before I decided I don't really like any of them.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

GPtuners wrote:Okay, can you give your stance on VFG, AFG, and hand stops? I know it's "personal preference", but you actually have to have some idea of what you like first. As someone with no rifle training, I'll just head in the suggested direction and learn from scratch with that.
Sure, I'll give my personal opinion and how I view each of these types of fore grips. This like you said of course is all personal preference.

VFG (Vertical Fore Grip) - this was the first type of fore grip to be used by a majority of shooters. This grip could be positioned as far forward or back as the shooter desired. Using the VFG the original grip commonly referred to as the "ganster grip" had the shooter wrap his entire hand around the grip (thumb included). This allowed the shooter to maintain better muzzle control compared to using no type of fore grip at all. I will say that before the US military adopted the VFG most MOS's that specialized in CQB had adopted the use of griping the mag well. Since then there have been many manufactures that have created different forms of VFG, one of which is a much shorter version. The shorter version being referred to by most as a "stubby". This is what I elect to run whether it be a LaRue FUG or a Tango Down. When running a "stubby" VFG I have adopted a more modified grip, I.E half on half off. This grip allows me to grip the VFG, but allows my thumb to be free to manipulate a pressure switch or tail cap of a WML (Weapon Mounted Light). This is the most comfortable grip for me to use and put very little strain on my wrist, once again is personal preference.

AFG (Angled Fore Grip) - These became popular in large part because Magpul Dynamics and their style of shooting. The AFG is mounted far forward on the rail system and allows the shooter to adopt a "thumb over" grip. This is where the shooter wraps his hand around the AFG and his thumb wraps around the top of the rail. This allows fore increase muzzle control, but can cause the shooters non firearm arm to fatigue faster because it is extended all the way out. This grip is great for quick target acquisition, but falls short when used for long periods of time. I think the AFG is a great concept and it works well for many shooters.

Hand Stop - this is not really a grip, but more so a guide. A hand stop is meant to be used as an index point. I've seen these used in a few different ways, but mainly it is to prevent a shooters non firing hand from going any further forward than desired. This can allow for a shooter to maintain the same body position and keeps the support hand away from an excess muzzle flash. The hand stop is a great tool for those who do not wish to run an VFG or AFG, but still won't something to help maintain muzzle control and recoil management.

This is kind of a general break down and my opinion of eachI hope this helps answer a few questions about each. Once again it's all about shooter preference.

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

Could you take a carbine course with an UZI? I told a buddy about the course, and he doesn't have an AR anymore. I remember seeing someone using a B&T TP9... so I thought that pistol caliber carbine might apply.

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:02 pm

GPtuners wrote:Could you take a carbine course with an UZI? I told a buddy about the course, and he doesn't have an AR anymore. I remember seeing someone using a B&T TP9... so I thought that pistol caliber carbine might apply.
Sure, we tend to stick with ARs and AKs but I'm familiar with the Uzi.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm

325MOUTguru wrote:
GPtuners wrote:Could you take a carbine course with an UZI? I told a buddy about the course, and he doesn't have an AR anymore. I remember seeing someone using a B&T TP9... so I thought that pistol caliber carbine might apply.
Sure, we tend to stick with ARs and AKs but I'm familiar with the Uzi.

I am not, but would like to be!
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Next question.

Since zeroing is part of the Rifle 1 course, could you just slap on an optic or sights the night before?

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:34 pm

GPtuners wrote:Next question.

Since zeroing is part of the Rifle 1 course, could you just slap on an optic or sights the night before?
Sure

We have had plenty of people show up with non-zeroed weapons.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:44 am

Mods can this get stickied, please and thank you

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Graci

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:50 pm

Is there a budget set of elbow and knee pads you recommend?
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:46 am

Bama wrote:Is there a budget set of elbow and knee pads you recommend?

Not sue what part of town you are in but there is a booth in the flea market / peddlers mall thing in Hillview where the guy was selling surplus military stuff for $5 a set. You could have knee and elbow pads for $10.

Been awhile since I was in there though.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:50 am

Bama wrote:Is there a budget set of elbow and knee pads you recommend?
Hatch use to make some good knee/elbow pads, they weren't too expensive. I still might even have a pair of there knee pads somewhere from my AD days.

Bama

Post by Bama » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm way down in SE KY. I could probably pick a set of USGI pads off eBay
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:07 pm

You could also check around at local Mil Surplus shop in your area.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:32 pm

The hardest part about knee pads is finding a set that will stay in place when you move. I've got a cheap condor set that work, but the more I run and change positions the more they want to slide down my leg

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Cheap and quality don't go together, especially in the world of firearms. I would either buy the best, generally considered to be Arc'teryx knee pads, or buy non-'tactical' soft knee pads for volleyball players or construction workers.

That said, I've used 0 'tactical' pads outside of the military.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:49 pm

I've used mine in a few RWI classes. They come in handy for kneeling on the gravel and random mud puddles at New Haven..lol

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:02 pm

ssracer wrote:The hardest part about knee pads is finding a set that will stay in place when you move. I've got a cheap condor set that work, but the more I run and change positions the more they want to slide down my leg

never had much of an issue with the MILSURP ones.

Hatch makes good stuff. I might have to check them out too.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 pm

these have some pretty good reviews.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lots of options on Amazon.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:10 am

ChopperDoc wrote:these have some pretty good reviews.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lots of options on Amazon.
I'm pretty sure that's what I have, mine are just an older model.

Return to “RWI Tactical”