Pocket Carry advice for restaurant owner

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
502CCW
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Pocket Carry advice for restaurant owner

Post by 502CCW » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm opening a franchise restaurant and want something small and reliable to pocket carry. I'll be opening and closing alone a lot and I'd like something that is small enough to not be noticeable in my pocket, and something I can get to quickly and have confidence in. I'll be wearing bluejeans and a tucked in polo shirt everyday. I've been out shooting but have never carried a gun (I just recently got my CCW permit). What gun and holster would you all recommend for my situation?

Thanks!

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Pocket Carry advice for restaurant owner

Post by Marcus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:59 pm

I pocket carry a glock 26 in a DeSantis nemesis pocket holster quite often. Most people think it's too big for pocket carry, but it works for me.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Btw, welcome to the forum.

You want to give any details about your business?
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Is carrying a "standard" or compact sized pistol out of the question? I would carry the most capable (largest) pistol you can reliably conceal, and not go straight to a micro/pocket pistol. There are holsters compatible with tucked in shirts. AIWB carry works pretty well with tucked shirts, doesn't it? If you couldn't conceal a Glock 19 or M&P9C due to pistol thickness you could try a Shield or Glock 43. Other single-stack 9mm options include Sig's offerings, Kahr's, Rohrbaugh's R9s, or Kel-tec's PF-9.

Welcome to KAC. It's always good to see a new screen name that isn't a bot or spammer. Stick around, you might even like one or two of us. ;)
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 pm

I think it depends alot on what you are comfortable with or maybe what you have tried. If you are not comfortable with an automatic then you might consider a revolver. If you are more comfortable with smaller calibers then you might want to stay 9mm and under and so on.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Welcome to KAC. Congrats on opening your franchise. Any weapon you decide to carry, you will want to practice as much as possible to be comfortable having it on you. Revolvers such as a S&W 442/642 are very good options for the mode of carry you mentioned. IMHO, they are inherently safer than a semi-auto option and very reliable, especially in a stressful situation. The more practice the better, as always is the case. The Nemesis holster Marcus uses is sticky on the outside and resists coming out of the pocket with the weapon. Did I mention, practice is essential.
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Whootsinator wrote:Is carrying a "standard" or compact sized pistol out of the question? I would carry the most capable (largest) pistol you can reliably conceal, and not go straight to a micro/pocket pistol. There are holsters compatible with tucked in shirts. AIWB carry works pretty well with tucked shirts, doesn't it? If you couldn't conceal a Glock 19 or M&P9C due to pistol thickness you could try a Shield or Glock 43. Other single-stack 9mm options include Sig's offerings, Kahr's, Rohrbaugh's R9s, or Kel-tec's PF-9.

Welcome to KAC. It's always good to see a new screen name that isn't a bot or spammer. Stick around, you might even like one or two of us. ;)
Whoots is, as usual, wise well beyond his years! He's like 12. :llama:

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 pm

And, practice.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:30 pm

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:42 pm

Gunsmokin wrote:
Whootsinator wrote:Is carrying a "standard" or compact sized pistol out of the question? I would carry the most capable (largest) pistol you can reliably conceal, and not go straight to a micro/pocket pistol. There are holsters compatible with tucked in shirts. AIWB carry works pretty well with tucked shirts, doesn't it? If you couldn't conceal a Glock 19 or M&P9C due to pistol thickness you could try a Shield or Glock 43. Other single-stack 9mm options include Sig's offerings, Kahr's, Rohrbaugh's R9s, or Kel-tec's PF-9.

Whoots is, as usual, wise well beyond his years! He's like 12. :llama:
When did he have a birthday?

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Welcome to KAC 502CCW. I have a Nemesis as well, and it does its job well.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:17 pm

It really depends on how big you and your pockets are. If you're a big guy, you can generally pocket-carry a decent sized gun--such as the aforementioned Glock 26.

As for me, blue jeans would rule out anything larger than one of the micro 380s, and I can't stand those. I also hate IWB with a tucked shirt, so if I had to wear jeans I'd probably opt for ankle carry.

In any case, welcome to the forum.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Welcome to the forum. I usually pocket carry a LCP when I can't carry anything larger.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 am

My first option is a SIG P938 9mm in a Nemesis in my right hip pocket, especially in jeans. It's small, accurate, fairly lightwieght, packs 8 rds (7+1), a spare mag in my left front pocket is really easy to achieve, & it's really easy to conceal.

If you are not comfortable with a 1911 patterned single action semi-auto, then find you a good revolver in .357 Mag, and load it with 158 gr .38 Spl loads. At close range they still pack a helluva punch w/o having to manage magnum recoil, especially in a lightwieght pistol.

Good luck, & welcome!
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:50 am

Note that whatever you decide interests you as an option, YOU should do a little more research on that option without taking unsubstantiated claims (which, thus far, is all any of us have given you) as fact. Once you decide on a possible pistol you'll need to decide on a carry ammo, which should be compatible with your pistol and reliably achieve 12" - 18" of penetration in properly calibrated ballistics gel, WHEN FIRED through a barrel with a length the same as your carry pistol.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:08 pm

I agree with Whoots (shocking lol) other than the Keltec. If you start carrying a micro pistol then you will never carry anything bigger because it will be cumbersome in relation. I started carrying full size and the smallest I carry is a G26/27 ever. Iwb holster such as minotaur and tucked in shirt for a g19 or g26/27 is easily done with a slim to medium size person.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 pm

One more note is that revolvers are the last option I would carry. Funny how guys want to give them to their wives but they wouldn't carry themselves. An auto is much easier to shoot with a single action trigger pull and a malfunction is fixed by dropping mag and reinserting it or changing mag. A revolver holds too few rounds for me to feel comfortable and the short barrel version people carry is not very accurate. This is my personal opinion of course and free of charge. PS women aren't stupid and can work an auto handgun despite what your local gun dealer told you so he could move the slow selling snub nose revolvers collecting dust that people don't want.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:18 pm

jackalo626 wrote:One more note is that revolvers are the last option I would carry. Funny how guys want to give them to their wives but they wouldn't carry themselves. An auto is much easier to shoot with a single action trigger pull and a malfunction is fixed by dropping mag and reinserting it or changing mag. A revolver holds too few rounds for me to feel comfortable and the short barrel version people carry is not very accurate. This is my personal opinion of course and free of charge. PS women aren't stupid and can work an auto handgun despite what your local gun dealer told you so he could move the slow selling snub nose revolvers collecting dust that people don't want.
If you can fire 6rds reload and fire 6 more rounds with a pistol of your choice as fast as Jerry Michilek can a revolver I'll give you my 442...haha

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm a big guy with big pockets generally but I still have to make sure the pockets of my pants I'm wearing will assure my weapon will be easily accesible if needed. Some pockets bottleneck at the pocket entrance and making retrieving the weapon quickly and confidently a less than perfect scenario. Some pockets will also encourage the holster to cant into an unfavorable position. I carry a S&W shield in 9mm in the aforementioned Desantis pocket holster. Those holsters are really handy having an outer skin that clings. Pull the gun, the holster stays put. It's good for wedging between the fabric seats in an automobile too. It's a great situation in my truck. They are also very affordable holsters. With pocket carry I found I had to put more effort into finding the right pants versus the right holster.

Whatever you choose...practice. Practice your draw and firing. Time yourself and improve.

I keep a spare loaded magazine handy in my other pocket as well. 8 or 9 rounds can disappear really fast in the right (wrong) situation.

I carry for much the same reason as you and pocket carry has worked the best. I can not think about it being there and am free to pursue working.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:23 pm

Niceguy wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:One more note is that revolvers are the last option I would carry. Funny how guys want to give them to their wives but they wouldn't carry themselves. An auto is much easier to shoot with a single action trigger pull and a malfunction is fixed by dropping mag and reinserting it or changing mag. A revolver holds too few rounds for me to feel comfortable and the short barrel version people carry is not very accurate. This is my personal opinion of course and free of charge. PS women aren't stupid and can work an auto handgun despite what your local gun dealer told you so he could move the slow selling snub nose revolvers collecting dust that people don't want.
If you can fire 6rds reload and fire 6 more rounds with a pistol of your choice as fast as Jerry Michilek can a revolver I'll give you my 442...haha
Oh I'm sorry was I responding to the King Jerry Miculek in this post???? Lol

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Niceguy wrote:
And not to mention hit a target with a 9mm handgun from a 1,000yds
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:33 pm

haha

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Snub nose 44 mag

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Fudge wrote:Ruger LCP in pick a brand pocket holster. If a .380 is to small then a Shield in 9mm.
+1 Ruger lcp/ Kel Tec p3at...for a fraction more larger though, and in 9mm: Ruger lc9 or Kel Tec pf9...

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Just post no gun signs all over.....it'll be fine! Seriously though, all the above is great advice. Shop around, shoot lots of rentals, etc. Find what works for you and what your comfortable with. Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum!

Return to “Concealed Carry”