Carry Everyday! No excuses! Part II

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Carry Everyday! No excuses! Part II

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 am

From a friend of mine down in GA...
Just a reminder to not become complacent

Just mugged at knife point

When I needed my newly purchased Cobra at my side, I left her behind (planned on buying Hornady .38 HP and 9mm ammo today). Was stuck up by 3 thugs with knives, one might have been armed with a firearm (one of them was yelling don't shoot him).... I instinctively touched the right back hip and dread filled me..... This happened in broad daylight here in Columbus, Ga. Took my wallet with all of the money I was going to use to buy ammo. The thing is I looked at my guns contemplating on taking 1, and figured I didn't need to considering I'm just going to CVS and to the gun shop right after..... I usually leave 1 gun in the car, today I didn't and it cost me $700 and if I had fought (3 muggers) I would have undoubtedly lost. I watched my hard earned money jump into a tan POS Lexus with rims and burnout infront of me. I didn't panic, I was calm and collect and was calmer than the 3 muggers were. I bought the Cobra for a BUG/for my concealed carry because I was going to apply for a GWL this week, didn't consider getting before because I was military and was in school. The only person who could have saw what was in my wallet, would have been a very cute college type white girl that was hanging around the cash register at CVS, I thought she was just looking at the candy or waiting in line. I didn't really think nothing of it but how would the 3 thugs know who to target? It couldn't have been that random. I've been thinking about it all day but that was it other than the clerk I didn't have any contact with anyone else? I felt cheated and angered and wanted to hunt them down and obliterate them with my .308! I was complacent just once and thats all it took... I'm going to get my DL made on Tuesday, and froze my debt card and transferred all my cash to a new account. Thank God nothing happened and took the the damn police almost a damn hour to get to me wtf!?!?! They were nice and what not but damn 1 hour that is bogus what if they robbed a bank or something and I had valuable information on which direction they took. Took a police report, tried to give description but they had hoodies on and sunglasses (kinda chilly here this morning). After I get my new DL made I'm heading to the Probate Court to apply for my WCL.

All 3 had knives the 2 on each of my side held about 3 feet and the middle thug closed in on me. Back of me was a car parked horizontal. The guy on the right side of me is the one who took my wallet not the guy infront of me. They knew exactly where my wallet was and it wasn't showing at all not even a bulge in my jacket. These guys were not in the store, as for driving off and trying to see their plates, either they were Alabama plates, or a pending decal because I saw what looked to be red letters they burned out their tires while driving off. But the car make and color were like a goldish tan old lexus lifted with huge rims. 1 on 1 I would have fought hand to hand, 2 on 1 like some members said they get cowardly when faced with a difficult target, but 3 on 1 all armed with knives no way, I would have been stabbed and robbed if I had escalated the situation. Whole thing seemed like 10 mins. but all of this happened within 3 mins. The cop did tell me their have been more muggings going on because of the holidays coming up and to stay alert when down here. He said the thugs probably knew I wasn't around this part of town making me a easy target. Calm and collected, the middle thug was holding his knife like he was going to swing at me? Like an arch punch. Judging by his knife skills, I would have taken care of him but all my attention was on the guy infront and the guy on my right came in quick and took my wallet all I was able to do was push him away. Didn't know they had my wallet until they ran off, but I didn't pursue. I can understand in night, but in broad daylight maybe because it was Sunday their wasn't that much traffic. These thugs are getting bold, I'm never coming down here ever again I'll stop at a CVS up north.
Last edited by PDM on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Carry Everyday! No excuses! Part II

Post by Rem700 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am

Could have been worse. But lesson learned. Carry everywhere, everyday.

jrobin3360
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by jrobin3360 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:10 am

Glad you weren't hurt. I hope to never find myself in such a situation & hope you never do again. But my protection is always at my side.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Stopping at a different CVS without a gun just gets you robbed in a different zip code. Always be armed is all I can say. Glad you weren't stabbed. This story sounds like a copy and paste though tbh.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Hmmm... I guess the first line wasn't clear enough.
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:10 pm

PDM wrote:Hmmm... I guess the first line wasn't clear enough.
Reading is hard and stuff mmmmmkay!!!!!!! :llama:

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Rem700 wrote:
Reading is hard and stuff mmmmmkay!!!!!!! :llama:
Sorry, I'm not from round here :llama:
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:17 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Stopping at a different CVS without a gun just gets you robbed in a different zip code. Always be armed is all I can say. Glad you weren't stabbed. This story sounds like a copy and paste though tbh.
It's amazing how many people feel safer in certain areas. Yes, Bardstown is "safer" than Atlanta, but there is still a very real possibility.

Someone asked me last week if I was going to be "more armed" for Halloween. He was essentially asking about extra mags and/or a backup gun. I told him that my EDC is sufficient for EVERY DAY. If I ever feel the need to be more armed, I will have a rifle. An AK fits nicely in a tennis racket bag and no one in the mall is the wiser.
Tench Coxe

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:58 pm

You misunderstood my post apparently. I don't know you therefore I don't believe you so you can take your sarcasm elsewhere. These stories pop up all the time and that thing was 3 novels deep and sounds fake so I made the notation. Carry on.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 pm

PDM wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:Stopping at a different CVS without a gun just gets you robbed in a different zip code. Always be armed is all I can say. Glad you weren't stabbed. This story sounds like a copy and paste though tbh.
It's amazing how many people feel safer in certain areas. Yes, Bardstown is "safer" than Atlanta, but there is still a very real possibility.

Someone asked me last week if I was going to be "more armed" for Halloween. He was essentially asking about extra mags and/or a backup gun. I told him that my EDC is sufficient for EVERY DAY. If I ever feel the need to be more armed, I will have a rifle. An AK fits nicely in a tennis racket bag and no one in the mall is the wiser.
PS if you are carrying an ak to the mall, you might want to move or shop Amazon.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:15 pm

It was a good example, true or not. Thanks for the post.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
You misunderstood my post apparently. I don't know you therefore I don't believe you so you can take your sarcasm elsewhere. These stories pop up all the time and that thing was 3 novels deep and sounds fake so I made the notation. Carry on.
I apologize if something i said rubbed you the wrong way. No sarcasm was intended. Two people said "glad you're ok" which made me think that it was not clear that this story was not written by me or about me.

I know the guy who wrote this. He has no reason to fabricate it, and neither do I. Carrying everyday is often inconvenient, and events like this should be shared to remind us all to be vigilant. I have no other motive.

jackalo626 wrote:
PDM wrote:

PS if you are carrying an ak to the mall, you might want to move or shop Amazon.
You are right about that! I have never felt the need to carry a rifle in any public place. All I mean by that statement is that if there is even the slightest chance of a gunfight, a rifle is necessary and can be carried concealed.
Tench Coxe

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 pm

I need a custom brief case/trigger pack for my MP5 for everyday carry as well.

jrobin3360

Post by jrobin3360 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm

At the time I posted my reply, the "third-party" element slipped from my thoughts.
No reason to doubt the validity of your friend's misfortune.
Regardless, a valid point was made to always be aware of your surroundings & keep a means of protection very close at hand.
I guess I could carry my AR in my BOB but having to put the damn thing together under stress could prove to be hazardous to MY health.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:31 pm

PDM wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
I apologize if something i said rubbed you the wrong way. No sarcasm was intended. Two people said "glad you're ok" which made me think that it was not clear that this story was not written by me or about me.

I know the guy who wrote this. He has no reason to fabricate it, and neither do I. Carrying everyday is often inconvenient, and events like this should be shared to remind us all to be vigilant. I have no other motive.

jackalo626 wrote:
PDM wrote:

You are right about that! I have never felt the need to carry a rifle in any public place. All I mean by that statement is that if there is even the slightest chance of a gunfight, a rifle is necessary and can be carried concealed.
Let me step back and say that sounded a lot harsher than I meant. I meant to say after reading that out loud that I didn't recognize your name during my lunch break and thought this could be a copy and paste story from another forum (people do that) so I wasn't sure of its validity. Sorry about your friend as I said and I hope he gets well as I would say about anyone. Your post was appreciated and look forward to more in the future.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Roger that. You're a good dude jack!
Tench Coxe

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Don't say that yet, you haven't been here very long. :mrgreen:
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 pm

You're chances aren't any better with a name like woots-a-whatever. :lol:
Tench Coxe

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by rustynuts » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:30 pm

The ones you have to watch out for are Netto and AR Rob. Don't turn your back on either of them.

:llama:

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 pm

Or their goats...

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rem700 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:56 pm

PDM wrote:Roger that. You're a good dude jack!
Whatever you do........don't make fun of his shoes!!!!

:llama:

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:51 am

$700.00 is not worth your friend's life. The up side you and him can still talk about it over a couple of beers. My father the only poet warrior I have ever know use to say "He who runs away lives to fight another day". Three on one when they are in tight is an ifey deal even if armed with a heater from hell IMHO.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:31 am

Indeed. Something we often miss is that it's not worth someone else's either. I discussed this with him at length. Not having a gun was not his biggest mistake. He was missing the most important element of defense - mindset. He was also missing good tactics. Your father is right. Get out of there! Not fighting is waaaaay better than winning a fight. The gun may or may not have helped. Depending on his attackers, it could actually have cost him his life. Without the proper mindset and tactics, he is a sitting duck either way. Once you have to pull the trigger (or even draw) the situation has already gone terribly wrong.
Tench Coxe

Dashammer

Post by Dashammer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:49 am

Your right a couple of dead dudes laying at your feet is a whole other set of WTFs.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:28 am

I know the CVS that he is talking about. Good read.

Return to “Concealed Carry”