Check yer dang gear. Check it again.

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:13 pm

And don't buy cheap shit to carry your gun in everyday.

I have a box full of cheap shit that I drag to class with me each time I teach a CCDW course. I use them as examples of what not to buy and why. Most everything in that box is the standard fare you will find at any gun store you walk in to.

For only a little more than that Uncle Mike's POS you can have a quality, designed-for-your-gun, holster to keep yer hog leg in when it is not needed in hand.

This guy was lucky. He could have killed someone else had the situation been just slightly different.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firea ... ischarges/
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: Check yer dang gear. Check it again.

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:49 pm

What's the major differences in the quality stuff and the garbage? Hardware?

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:58 pm

retention, both to your belt and with the firearm. Not floppy. Stays open when you take firearm from holster for easy re-holstering.

made specifically for your gun, not a "this size fits semi-automatic guns with 3" barrels", etc.

Those are the big ones.

A quality leather holster will provide positive retention to your firearm, but will wear out over the years. Better quality will last longer. Even with the hybrids (Alien gear, etc) when the leather starts to wear and become floppy it is time to start thinking about a repair or replace.

I have seen the cheapo Galco's that are designed for a certain size gun and not specifically for a certain firearm (Glock 19/23, etc) and the retention is pretty terrible.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Anything leather needs to be checked a lot for wear and what not. Plastic/kydex isn't likely to lose it's shape, but making sure all screws say tight and no cracks are forming is important.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by shelbygoat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:54 pm

if its in the sale or clearance bin its probably garbage

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Toddinlou » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:53 pm

I have one holster that is downright scary. I can see where the leather could catch on the trigger while holstering. I've thought about trying to heat it or something else before scrapping it. Tagua or some such garbage. I really like the hybrids

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 pm

I prefer the hybrids, although i have a simple leather scabbard for the pf9 until i find which kydex i want to buy
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Return to “Concealed Carry”