Pro Gun Bill going to the GOV

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Pro Gun Bill going to the GOV

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:35 pm

good deal

Amendments added to HB 128 in the state Senate have incorporated the following pro-gun reform bills, resulting in a timely and comprehensive package that your NRA fully supports:

Senate Bill 100, sponsored by state Senator Sara Beth Gregory (R-16), would streamline the Concealed Deadly Weapons License (CDWL) process by allowing applicants to submit their forms electronically. This would apply to both new and renewing applicants. Allowing applicants to submit license information electronically provides them with greater access to the CDWL process.
Senate Bill 125, sponsored by state Senator Dennis Parrett (D-10), would allow honorably discharged service members to waive the training requirement for a concealed deadly weapon license with the proper documentation.

Senate Bill 192, sponsored by state Senator R.J. Palmer (D-28), would allow for special law enforcement officers employed by school districts to be included in the definition of "police officer" and make them eligible for certain Kentucky Office of Homeland Security grants.
Senate Bill 232, sponsored by state Senator Brandon Smith (R-30), would require that certification by a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO), when a signoff is required for the transfer of a firearm or other item regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA), be provided within fifteen days as long as the applicant is not prohibited by law from receiving the firearm or other item. By removing any possibility of personal bias and creating a statewide standard, SB 232 protects the rights of law-abiding gun owners across the Bluegrass State.

House Bill 213, sponsored by state Representative Joni Jenkins (D-44), would allow corrections officers, current or retired, of urban-county governments or consolidated local governments to use their professional training to satisfy the training requirement in applying for a concealed-carry permit. HB 213, as amended by state Representative Stan Lee (R-45), would also allow new residents in Kentucky who have valid concealed carry licenses from other states that have a reciprocal agreement with the Kentucky Department of State Police, to waive the training requirements for Kentucky licenses and to use the out-of-state license in Kentucky for their first 120 days of residence, providing that within sixty days of the resident moving to Kentucky, he or she delivers a form and accompanying documents by registered or certified mail to the Department of Kentucky State Police, evidencing proof of a valid out-of-state license to carry a concealed deadly weapon. This amendment also stipulates that an out-of-state concealed carry license will become invalid in Kentucky upon either the passage of 120 days or issuance to the person a valid Kentucky concealed deadly weapons license.

House Bill 351, sponsored by state Representative Gerald Watkins (D-3), would allow an individual who has legally sought a court-issued Emergency Protection Order (EPO) the ability to better defend themselves by expediting the permitting process for a CDWL, after a background check. Senate Bill 106, sponsored by state Senator Jared Carpenter (R-34), was the Senate counterpart to HB 351 and its language and identical intent were included as well.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Pro Gun Bill going to the GOV

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 pm

All except 351 are ok
351 may cause the CDWL to no longer qualify for the exemption to the NICS check.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:23 pm

guncrank1 wrote:All except 351 are ok
351 may cause the CDWL to no longer qualify for the exemption to the NICS check.
Not sure how if the process is expedited after a background check is complete. The permit would still be subject to regular background checks once issued.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:35 pm

My understanding that the CDWL would still be valid when issued.
Background check would be needed to be done within 60 days.
CDWL only qualifies if the background check is done before issue.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 am

guncrank1 wrote:My understanding that the CDWL would still be valid when issued.

Just read the bill, and I am unclear on the particulars of how this is handled, but it appears this is not a valid 5 year permit. It is a temporary 45 day permit. I assume that they are figuring if a person wants one longer than 45 days they can go through the process to get on in about that time frame.

If it is indeed an identifiably different permit then I do not see where this could cause 5 year permit holders to lose the benefit of buying a handgun sans the NICS call.

240witsr
Been liked: 0

Post by 240witsr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:21 am

I like the fact it removes CLEO opinions from NFA purchases. Even though I still prefer Trust due to convenience and sharing with family.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:30 am

ChopperDoc wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:My understanding that the CDWL would still be valid when issued.

Just read the bill, and I am unclear on the particulars of how this is handled, but it appears this is not a valid 5 year permit. It is a temporary 45 day permit. I assume that they are figuring if a person wants one longer than 45 days they can go through the process to get on in about that time frame.

If it is indeed an identifiably different permit then I do not see where this could cause 5 year permit holders to lose the benefit of buying a handgun sans the NICS call.
Because then the state would be issuing a CDWL without a background check, when this was done before , the ATF said that all license where invalid.
The state changed thier policy and did the background check.
Then the ATF came out with a new industry notice that had a limit on what date where good and what was not.
Could be same deal.

Return to “Concealed Carry”