An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:10 am

"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Post by rustynuts » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:43 am

Interesting read.

Nolan
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Nolan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:44 am

Good stuff-thanks doc
"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

-- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

Dashammer
Been liked: 0

Post by Dashammer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:33 am

So double tap is the way to go across the board if I read that right.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:41 am

Echos what I've been saying for years.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 am

GREAT read, thanks for sharing.

The main takeaways for me are these:

Use defensive rounds such as HP rather than ball.

There isn't a huge difference between the "usual suspects" when it comes to caliber - 38sp, 357, 9, 40, 45, even the "lowly" 380 got the job done.

The ability to achieve an accurate follow-on shot is critical, so choice of weapon and caliber should be dependent on the ability of the user to hit the second shot accurately. In other words, don't carry a 45 if the recoil means you can't achieve a timely second shot on target, maybe the 9 would be better for you. If you don't have the strength to rack your semi-auto in the event of a malfunction, then the revolver might just serve you better.

Practice and training for the second shot is just as critical as practicing for the first shot on target.

And most important of all is BE ABLE TO DEFEND YOURSELF, no matter what your choice of weapon or caliber or ammunition.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:55 am

So I should throw out my Glock and carry my Walther P22 is what I am gathering.

.22LR for the win!

Maybe this is why you can't find it anymore? Everyone read this and now it's the new caliber of the month(year{s})?
:llama:

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:42 am

10yrs of data impressive. Not impressive is details such as actual round fired, distance, size of attacker, where in the torso it hit (heart would be more devastating than stomach for instance), length of barrel, was the person on drugs, size and weight of attacker, etc. I know this is a place to start and numbers still mean something so I'm not belittling the compilation of stats. I don't have one to offer so don't best me up on it and I am just saying those are things that play a role in the numbers. In the I sum it up with the human body doesn't handle trauma very well from metal objects flying through it at any speed so in the event of an attack, I just hope you were not being lazy and actually carried something to stop the attack with.

Return to “Concealed Carry”