Tiger McKee on Training

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Tiger McKee on Training

Post by Frailer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 am

From today's "Tactical Wire." I found this article interesting--meaning I agree with it. ;-)

I don't blame trainers for the modern trend toward teaching "range kata" as much as I do the students. Too often we want grab our "load out" and spend the day operating like operators on an operation instead of working on fundamentals. The guys teaching us how to stack up and clear rooms are only doing what we ask them to do.

My New Year's Resolution: to spend the year working on grip and trigger control. Period.

Skill Set: Ordinary Skills
by Tiger McKee

Ordinary is defined as being normal, customary, boring or commonplace. So, who wants to be ordinary when it comes to fighting skills? In my opinion, when we train and practice the fighting arts we are striving to be ordinary.

For example, when I press the trigger it should be normal that I hit the target. If I'm not sure it's going to be a good hit, I shouldn't be pressing the trigger. This is true whether I'm standing still, moving, the target is moving... It doesn't matter what's going on. I press and hit.

It should become customary that when I perceive a potential problem I move. Moving - going to cover, creating distance, or putting the threat into a reactive mode - is a number one priority. On the range, when you're mentally ready and know what's going to happen, it's easy to move on cue. In your daily life when something bad occurs our natural instinct is to freeze in place. A lot of training and practice is required for moving is an immediate response.

The pistol runs empty, or has a malfunction. This should result in a pretty boring response. You reload or clear the malfunction. You're manipulating the weapon, moving if necessary, and probably in the dark. By practicing - dry practice with dummy ammo is best - reloading or clearing malfunctions occur at a subconscious process. The subconscious handles the boring stuff, the things we've learned through repetition. This frees up your conscious mind to focus on the important things, like getting cover between you and your attacker.

It may not be commonplace for you to be attacked, but if it does occur we need to treat it as a common occurrence. You can't let the fact that you're being assaulted, and the consequences of defeat, enter into your thought process. That will distract you from performing the actions necessary to win. When attacked you assess the situation, come up with a solution and apply it immediately, even if it's not the perfect answer. Do something to buy you time and distance to do something better. To program the proper response, without being in an actual attack, you research and practice mental imagery training. This technique, for example vividly imagining an attack and defeating the threat(s), can make it seem like a common activity you're familiar with.

The trend in training courses today is to be extraordinary, radical and exciting. The martial art of fighting with firearms has become a hot commodity. As Musashi says in The Book Of Five Rings, these professionals have turned "the way into a business of selling goods, making beginners believe that there is something profound in their training by impressing them with a variety of techniques." Dynamic drills are exciting. The adrenaline flows when you're performing "range-gymnastics," blasting three mags through your AR attempting to beat the time requirements on a set and known drill. But this radical type training doesn't really prepare you for the ordinary madness you may have to defend yourself against.

The difficult thing is to devote the time required to truly learn ordinary, commonplace defensive skills. Properly identifying threats, moving, communication, using cover, if necessary placing accurate hits on target and manipulating your weapon under any and all conditions should become ordinary. There is an old saying, "Strategy, inadequately learned, is the cause of serious wounds." This is true for defensive strategies and the techniques associated with them. Strive to become ordinary. Being ordinary means you're well prepared for the unexpected.

DDgunslinger

Re: Tiger McKee on Training

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:50 am

Agreed.

Thus, the fundamentals of shoot, move and communicate being the core concepts of what we teach. Let Costa keep the gimmicks and muscle tape lol

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:06 am

Sounds exactly like 'range kata' or 'gun-fu' to me.

You practice the mundane until you do it without conscious thought.

I disagree about the adrenaline rush by competing against a clock or some other not being useful for the 'ordinary madness...' because any time you are faced with a situation that is going to require you to draw down on another human is going to be anything but 'ordinary'. Even if you are not immediately fighting for you life, the fear that is prompting you to draw combined with the fear of taking another life is going to inject adrenaline into your body and will effect your actions. If you have practiced precision draw, trigger squeeze and follow through until you cannot get it wrong, but have never done so with an adrenaline dump... you are going to get it wrong.

The running and gunning, the stress shoots, the dynamic stuff has a place. It does not, and no respectable instructor will ever tell you that is does, replace the fundamentals and the practice of the mundane. The dynamic competitions, the running and gunning, the Costa Olympics are all tests of your mastery of the mundane under stress to simulate fighting for your life.

Even if you don't take any 'tactical' training, getting involved in some regular practical competitions can test your mastery of the mundane tasks as well.

I know I am not telling you anything that you do not already know, Frailer, but for the novice to read something like this they might interpret it that any training beyond just dry fire / live fire trigger precision and 'researching and practicing visual imagery of an attack' is a marketing scam and waste of their time and money.

Gun fu, like any martial art, has a place. Gun fu, like any martial art has hours and hours of time that needs to be dedicated to mundane, precise movements via kata. However, if you have mastered the kata and have never tested your skills in a sparring match the outcome of an actual contest between you and an attacker dedicated to doing you harm might not go exactly as you had planned.

Oh, and do not forget the Rocktape. :D
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:15 am

I guess I didn't read it that way, I took it as, " Instructors are so focused on trying to re invent the wheel, and become the next big thing they forget the importance of fundamentals... the building blocks that allow an individual to master the weapon craft itself"

Stess Shoots, of all kinds are a valuable training aids... once the fundamentals have been taught. Anyway, I understand what your saying CD.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:31 am

DDgunslinger wrote:I guess I didn't read it that way, I took it as, " Instructors are so focused on trying to re invent the wheel, and become the next big thing they forget the importance of fundamentals... the building blocks that allow an individual to master the weapon craft itself"

Stess Shoots, of all kinds are a valuable training aids... once the fundamentals have been taught. Anyway, I understand what your saying CD.
I understand where the author is coming from. I really do. You have to master, and continue to practice, the mundane fundamentals. A quality instructor is not going to dispute that and is also going to test his students ability before doing any 'range gymnastics'. But this paragraph, I think, could be seriously misinterpreted by someone who is new to shooting and imply that the 'dynamic stuff' is all a gimmick and not worth their time or money.

The trend in training courses today is to be extraordinary, radical and exciting. The martial art of fighting with firearms has become a hot commodity. As Musashi says in The Book Of Five Rings, these professionals have turned "the way into a business of selling goods, making beginners believe that there is something profound in their training by impressing them with a variety of techniques." Dynamic drills are exciting. The adrenaline flows when you're performing "range-gymnastics," blasting three mags through your AR attempting to beat the time requirements on a set and known drill. But this radical type training doesn't really prepare you for the ordinary madness you may have to defend yourself against.
As I said, if you are using your weapon and fighting for your life there is no such thing as ordinary madness, and if you have not practiced you 'gun fu' under stress then you have not tested your mastery of the mundane.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:33 am

And I do not mean to pass myself off as an expert. I am not. I am only a student who sees the value of both when done properly.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 am

Yea, I can see where that could be misinterpreted.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:38 am

We are all students in the end, even as instructors we are always learning. The game is ever evolving and shooting is a perishable skill. There is no all knowing "gun fu" grand Master... despite what some may believe.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 am

Good points, CD, but I didn't think Tiger was eschewing drills or practicing under stress.

While I've never taken one of his classes--although I do plan to, since his facility is close to my parents' home--what I've seen in video clips leads me to believe he focuses on those situations and conditions that one is more likely to encounter in the real world rather than Zombie Apocalypse scenarios.

As for *me*, I'm an advocate of competition, both for its stress factor and reinforcement of gun handling/manipulation skills. I *still* say my heart was beating faster the first time I stood on a firing line waiting for the timer to beep than it ever was when rounds were coming in my direction.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:44 am

Frailer wrote:Good points, CD, but I didn't think Tiger was eschewing drills or practicing under stress.

While I've never taken one of his classes--although I do plan to, since his facility is close to my parents' home--what I've seen in video clips leads me to believe he focuses on those situations and conditions that one is more likely to encounter in the real world rather than Zombie Apocalypse scenarios.

As for *me*, I'm an advocate of competition, both for its stress factor and reinforcement of gun handling/manipulation skills. I *still* say my heart was beating faster the first time I stood on a firing line waiting for the timer to beep than it ever was when rounds were coming in my direction.

I have a theory on that last part, and I can only relate it to my time flying (as I never had bullets flying at me on the ground and only one twice in my career while in the air).

The fact that the acute stress (acute being short term and not dealing with the chronic stress of combat so I do not confuse anyone) was not as great during actual combat has to do with the training you received. Your training focused on the skills for that task and you knew you were going to have a high probability of seeing combat in the area you were in. even though the attack might have come as a surprise, your training and expectations were meshed in such a way as to not get an immediate adrenaline overload that made rational thought difficult.

I experienced this as a flight school cadet from the 'scared so bad I did not know how to react' adrenaline dump during an actual emergency (engine failure on a single engine aircraft, in nasty weather, on an IFR flight plan, in the clouds, with an estimated ceiling around 200 feet in the area we were in) to the 'okay this is bad but training on immediate action procedures accompanied by experience/training and knowledge of the system' allow for reasoned thought put into action / reaction properly for the situation. Generally my co-pilot's were not of the same non-panicked action in those scenario's I experienced and on one occasion the acute stress / adrenaline dump caused my copilot to shut down for several minutes rendering him ineffectual.

In the unfamiliar territory of the competition, this being your first one, the acute stress on you was higher because you were not as sure of your training for that specific scenario, your expectations of your performance, etc. Even though it was not life or death, it was a great simulation of the stress you might feel if presented with an actual threat where you would need to use your firearm.

Thus my critique of some parts of that article, which should not be taken as defamation of the author, or even you for posting it. I understand where he is coming from. The 'tactical' stuff is sexy. If a novice goes to some basic level training and has the expectation of cool Magpul Dynamics background music and mag dumping on a target or two over the hood of a car on day 1 then they are not going to be impressed with learning the fundamentals. There are some very unqualified folks marketing that mentality, and the training received will be less than optimal, perhaps even detrimental. However, I think the author could have worded his critique of those aspects of training differently. I did not know of him prior to this article, so I do not know if his target audience is experienced enough, or familiar enough with his offerings, to see that he is not saying that dynamic training is all bad. I read the article a couple of times, and taken out of context with any of his other postings I could see where a new reader and new shooter could get the impression that any money spent of 'tactical stuff' is money money wasted, because he made no mention of the positive aspects of proper use of it (as I am attempting to do, but not sure I am doing it well).

There is a place for it. If you fail to master the fundamentals prior to doing the 'cool guy stuff' in full kit you are going to fail miserably. No the fundamental drills, the dry fire stuff, are not sexy. There are 99 other things that require your attention on a daily basis that you can be doing over any of that stuff but we need to make the time to focus on them. His point is valid that you need to be using your brain to access the situation, create a plan on the fly and take some kind of action when your life is on the line. You do not need to be expending precious energy / thought on fundamentals. Those should be automatic, as every helicopter pilot knows that a low rotor condition means that lowering the collective needs to be immediate and automatic.

I know of no better way to test your mastery of those fundamentals than in a 'tactical' class doing stress shoots or a competition with the stress of a timer and points score. If you spend the time mastering those fundamentals but never test your metal in an environment that tests your mettle then you do not honestly know if what you are doing is working.

There is a place for the 'range-gymnastics' when properly employed.

I am going to look into taking one of his classes myself. Thanks for the post. It was a good one and very thought provoking.

Return to “Concealed Carry”