anybody cc'd in New Orleans?

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 am

Gonna be there this weekend unfortunately. I hate going places like DC and IL and stuff. I have read the state regs but has anyone actually been there? Do the bars pat you down. Signs posted? Places to avoid? I'm attending a wedding and looks like cc isn't allowed in churches but its an outside wedding so idk. This would potentially be the first day I'm unarmed in... A very long time.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:52 am

I'd go to KC3.org from there you can check reciprocity and should be able to find a link to the carry laws there.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: anybody cc'd in New Orleans?

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Louisiana

http://www.handgunlaw.us

Must inform Officer: Yes
A permittee armed with a handgun in accordance with this Section shall notify any police officer who approaches the permittee in an official manner or with an identified official purpose that he has a weapon on his person, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

Honors KY permit

Places Off limits even with a permit:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;
 A detention facility, prison, or jail;
 A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
 A polling place;
 A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
 The state capitol building;
 Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
 Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
 A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity; Note: The DPS says just Parade. The law states carry is not allowed if you are “In” a Parade for which a permit has been issued by a government entity.
 Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
 Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6. Additionally, property owners, lessees, or other lawful custodians have the right to prohibit or restrict access of permittees possessing a concealed handgun. Furthermore, a permittee may not carry a concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person. Additionally, the blood alcohol reading of the permittee must not exceed .05% or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood

Church, Synagogue and Mosque Carry (New Law that goes into effect Aug. 15, 2010 allows Church carry under the following rules.
 Churches, Synagogues and Mosques choosing to allow concealed carry will have to inform their congregations of the decision.
 Anyone wishing to carry a concealed weapon in a church will have to take an extra eight hours of tactical training each year.
 The new law does not apply to churches on school property.

Do "No Gun Signs" have the force of law?
YES

Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES Per SB 534
State/National Forests: YES Per SB 534
WMA’s: YES Wildlife Management Areas & Wildlife Refuges Per SB 534
Road Side Rest Areas: YES Per LA DPS If Not Posted

Carry in Restaurants That Serve Alcohol NO
LA has conflicting laws on carry in places that serve alcohol. There are different sections that cover places that serve alcohol. One law says it’s OK if they have a class R (Restaurant License) and another law says no carry in places for consumption on the premises. There has been much debate inside the DPS and the AG’s Office over this. They are trying to get the law changed so there is no conflict. The person over the Firearms Unit has told me it is illegal under the law to carry in a place that serves for consumption on the premises. In the CCW section of LA law is says no carry in places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. Until they do iron it out Handgunlaw.us advises not to carry in places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises in LA.

Handgunlaw.us could find no restrictions in Louisiana Law concerning Chemical Sprays, Stun Guns
Or Higher Capacity Magazine Bans.

There is a State Law Preemption, so it should be the same Statewide.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mudcat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:22 pm

I would do some very thorough research on how they treat people who choose to CC in NO. They do things a little differently down there. Myself I will avoid at all costs and if I had to go there be very inconspicuous and make sure I remain concealed.

Sent from my evil black iPhone using Tapatalk

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:27 pm

From what I hear, New Orleans is better now that the Feds had to step in because of all the corruption of local LEO a few years back. BUT, I would still be careful, as Mudcat says.

No carry in bars, or any restaurant that serves alcohol, pretty much limits your activity in NO anyway. Unless you are going to stand outside and wait on your friends to have a few beers and oysters in the city.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mudcat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:30 pm

There was a guy on Gun Talk Radio last week talking about them just confiscating guns randomly and the owners not getting them back. One of the cases made it to the state SC and they upheld the previous rulings that the cops can do that.
Crazy shit!

Sent from my evil black iPhone using Tapatalk

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by nemo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:48 pm

When I go home to New Orleans I CC almost everywhere I go. Seen way too much $hit go down even in the better areas not to.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:57 pm

nemo wrote:When I go home to New Orleans I CC almost everywhere I go. Seen way too much $hit go down even in the better areas not to.
Was there this past summer and CC carried everywhere we went as well.
Better areas? What Parish is that? LOL!

:llama:

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by nemo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Toddstang wrote: Better areas? What Parish is that? LOL!

Very few places in Orleans parish, and a good bit of Jefferson parish are still relatively safe.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 pm

nemo wrote:
Toddstang wrote: Better areas? What Parish is that? LOL!

Very few places in Orleans parish, and a good bit of Jefferson parish are still relatively safe.
J/K!

I was impressed with how much has been done since Katrina.
Tore down alot of eye sores out of there.

kyswede
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by kyswede » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:32 pm

I carried when I went there in 2001 and 2002. May not have been legal, but I don't walk around French Quarter after dark without packing something.
Cutting grass is the price I gladly pay for not being cold.

Return to “Concealed Carry”