Appendix carry

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Appendix carry

Post by justang1997 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:15 pm

I always appendix carried before I had a ccdw. Sometimes I'd need my gun and I didn't have any iwb holsters so I'd carry there with an empty chamber.
Nowadays I only carry there when I absolutely don't want anyone to know I'm carrying. Fits my fullsize m9 no probs. Since I use a holster now I keep a round in it and it's kinda spooky cuz the barrel is pointing right at my femoral artery area.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I gave it a try tonight. Granted, I was using an el-cheapo padded nylon holster that I found in teh bottom of my holster box that the XDS fit in nicely. My problem seems to be my gut. It's fine while standing, but when I sit, my gut pushes the grip and everything out, thus forcing the muzzle end uncomfortably into my pelvis.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:55 am

justang1997 wrote:I always appendix carried before I had a ccdw. Sometimes I'd need my gun and I didn't have any iwb holsters so I'd carry there with an empty chamber.
Nowadays I only carry there when I absolutely don't want anyone to know I'm carrying. Fits my fullsize m9 no probs. Since I use a holster now I keep a round in it and it's kinda spooky cuz the barrel is pointing right at my femoral artery area.

Yeah, didn't that guy who shot himself in his car hit his femoral and bleed out in front of his kids? Had a shitty worn out holster if I recall.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:36 am

I carry a Colt New Agent 3" 1911 .45 there every day. Even with a light t-shirt and shorts, I've never had anyone ever know I was carrying. It is comfortable standing, walking and sitting- but I don't have a gut either. It wouldn't be comfortable or concealable with a beer belly pushing it out! You also have to have a very thin holster.
The one I have is an extremely thin leather with a simple clip. It hugs the gun enough that retention isn't a problem but I can easily pull it free. I can't tell what hide it is, but it is dense and strong- maybe Horsehide- but feels like fabric-thin. I got the holster in a box of other traded goodies a few years ago. there's no tag or maker's mark on it either. I'd love to know what it is and who made it to get another!
Here's mine:

Harb

Post by Harb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:59 pm

So, in terms of inches, how small a gut does one need to have?

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:23 am

Harb wrote:So, in terms of inches, how small a gut does one need to have?
So many jokes...... :llama:

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:24 am

Ha....I'm drink, I thought that said gun, not gut....lol

I think both gun and gut size are probably personal preference as to what is comfortable

richief
Has liked: 2 times

Post by richief » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:21 pm

scorpionmain wrote:I might consider it, but it is awful handy the way I do it now.
I've not noticed any holsters designed for this S&W in appendix style, but I've not really been looking.
You know of any specific ones for me to ponder?

I carried my 642 apendix in a Desantis pro stealth for snubbies (no built in mag pouch) works real good.
Then I realized the same holster fit my G19, or G26,(I like the sans mag pouch) and that's my most used setup at 2 O'clock.
No good for reholstering for idpa, or training classes etc., but real good, and comfortable for everyday, physically working, rollin under the car, etc., and I dont even need a belt, summer I wear it clipped inside drawstring shorts, right now drawstring sweats. I prob wouldn't always have a gun with me unless I found this setup.
ps: I have a gut, this works. Let me know if you try it, and what ya think.

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 pm

justang1997 wrote:Since I use a holster now I keep a round in it and it's kinda spooky cuz the barrel is pointing right at my femoral artery area.

I've always been leery of this position. The main reason is as mentioned above especially since my grandpa has always said anyone who carries this way is a dumbass.

His reasoning behind that statement is one of his best friends died from shooting himself and bleeding out before he was able to get help.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:23 pm

no0ne wrote:
justang1997 wrote:Since I use a holster now I keep a round in it and it's kinda spooky cuz the barrel is pointing right at my femoral artery area.

I've always been leery of this position. The main reason is as mentioned above especially since my grandpa has always said anyone who carries this way is a dumbass.

His reasoning behind that statement is one of his best friends died from shooting himself and bleeding out before he was able to get help.

Lots of pros to A Carry. Some drawbacks. If you can't find it in your budget to get a quality holster or are too lazy to train yourself to keep your finger off the trigger when you draw or holster your weapon then, yes, you will shoot yourself and bleed out. You might do this regardless of how you carry your weapon.

Your grandpa's argument is flawed, even though it is personal. He is blaming the weapon instead of the guy carrying the gun.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:
no0ne wrote:

Lots of pros to A Carry. Some drawbacks. If you can't find it in your budget to get a quality holster or are too lazy to train yourself to keep your finger off the trigger when you draw or holster your weapon then, yes, you will shoot yourself and bleed out. You might do this regardless of how you carry your weapon.

Your grandpa's argument is flawed, even though it is personal. He is blaming the weapon instead of the guy carrying the gun.
I agree, he has his emotions attached to his opinion. It's just always been something in the back of my mind. I'm sure the pistols back during this story's time were a bit less safe than today's weapons as well.

I typically carry on my side or back and no one has ever really noticed. Even when a sig. other or family member gives me a hug. Even if they do.. so? I'm legal lol.

no0ne

Post by no0ne » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:
no0ne wrote:

I agree, he has his emotions attached to his opinion. It's just always been something in the back of my mind. I'm sure the pistols back during this story's time were a bit less safe than today's weapons as well.

I typically carry on my side or back and no one has ever really noticed. Even when a sig. other or family member gives me a hug. Even if they do.. so? I'm legal lol.

Roguestew

Post by Roguestew » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am

I carry a glock 30sf in a Vedder light tuck at about 1 o clock. Love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
All incoming fire has the right of way...

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Necropost!

This thread is 3 years old!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Roguestew

Post by Roguestew » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 pm

So?

Roguestew

Post by Roguestew » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Maybe get rid of the old threads so no necropost. Just an idea

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Dont want to remove valuable info.......or valuable BS lol.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Wait...there's valuable info on this site? Where have you been hiding that?

:llama:

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:50 am

Well, since it is revived, I will update that I have been carrying a G43 in a G-Code holster like this daily for awhile now. Tucked in work shirt over it and no one knows. I prefer it to any other method I have tried.

I can comfortably carry the G19 this way also, but it prints terribly if I have to wear my shirt tucked in.

GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GPtuners » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 am

Hey! It's my thread! :)

Well, I ended up with the PHLster. Been carrying appendix ever since. Works great with my casual wear.

Just recently stepped into management and have to wear dress clothes now. The tuckable loop is handy, but I'm now looking for some c-clips or j-clips to make it less obvious (to me.... other people are apparently blind).

Return to “Concealed Carry”