New Ohio Laws went into effect March 27 2013

Forum for concealed carry questions, classes, tips, and tricks.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

New Ohio Laws went into effect March 27 2013

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 pm

on transporting weapons in your vehicle:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Cond ... io_CCW.pdf

In reference to carrying firearms in a vehicle by licensed or unlicensed persons:

a)“Unloaded” means, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of
this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine
or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:
(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader
that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.
(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the
firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

-------------------
HB 495, which went into effect on March 27, 2013, made important changes to Ohio law concerning the transportation of firearms in a vehicle, whether one had a concealed carry license or not. Before the passage of HB 495, ammunition in a magazine or speed loader for a firearm in a vehicle was the same thing as having a loaded firearm, even if the magazine was in the glove compartment and the firearm was in the trunk. Individuals with a concealed carry license were exempted as far as handguns were concerned, but they still weren’t legally allowed to transport a rifle and loaded magazines for that rifle. The magazines had to be unloaded.

The use of a “container” is a sweeping change for individuals without a concealed carry license. The change for licensed individuals is that they are no longer limited to handguns only when it comes to transporting loaded magazines. They can now transport loaded rifle magazines along with their rifles as long as they follow the new requirements and restrictions outlined in 2923.16
-------------------------

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a “container that provides complete and
separate enclosure” includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or
speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the
package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed
loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain
the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing
mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is
contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not
contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a
snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must
be opened to access the contents.

--------------------

The definition of container is very liberal. Basically the firearm and loaded magazines can be in the same bag as long as the separate compartments they’re in have their own closures. Simple partitions within a single bag would not qualify. Either the firearm or the magazines would have to be within a separate compartment that had its own closure mechanism.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: New Ohio Laws went into effect March 27 2013

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm

Good news

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Eireguy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 am

Sucks to live there

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.
Been liked: 0

Post by 325MOUTguru » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:40 am

Does that include CCW permit holders? (lots of confusing legal-ese in there)
If so, my inlaws and favorite hockey team will likely never see me again.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:37 am

325MOUTguru wrote:Does that include CCW permit holders? (lots of confusing legal-ese in there)
Yes it does

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 am

Fawk. Headed to cincy last week.

So by what I understand you can not carry loaded in Ohio while driving?
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:40 am

86 slo-vo wrote:Fawk. Headed to cincy last week.

So by what I understand you can not carry loaded in Ohio while driving?

If you have a CCDW your carry pistol can have mags in and loaded. Any other gun in the vehicle can NOW have mags loaded but they cannot be inserted and must be in a separate compartment. I.E. My SUB2K is in one zipper pocket of my GHB and the mags are in a different zipper pocket. perfectly legal now.

If you do not have a CCDW that Ohio honors then you must have all mags separated like this from all weapons in the vehicle and they must be in the vehicle someplace where you cannot gain access to them from the driver seat.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 am

325MOUTguru wrote:Does that include CCW permit holders? (lots of confusing legal-ese in there)

see my answer above

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 am

As chopperdoc states, the law went in favor of CCDW and now lets more weapons have mags loaded (but not inserted) as well as their pistol can be loaded with mags inserted.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 am

Ah ok I read it wrong. Thank you for the clarification.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Van Zan

Post by Van Zan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for the update. Am headed to Ohio soon. I'll keep my mags and carbine in separate containers.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:54 am

and remember if you have a CCDW that Ohio laws requires you notify an officer who stops (traffic or otherwise) you that you have a permit and have a gun on you immediately.

Van Zan

Post by Van Zan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:45 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:and remember if you have a CCDW that Ohio laws requires you notify an officer who stops (traffic or otherwise) you that you have a permit and have a gun on you immediately.

roger that and thanks
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Return to “Concealed Carry”