Any GM mechanics? Transmission repair suggestions?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Any GM mechanics? Transmission repair suggestions?

Post by kokopelli » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:30 am

My daughter has a 2002 Malibu with the 3.1 V6, auto trans- transmission will not shift into 4th gear/overdrive. I noticed she was having to get gas way more often than she should- then I drove it on the highway and realized it wasn't shifting into overdrive. So at 70mph its running over 3,000 rpm's! No wonder she is burning gas. The car only has 78,000 miles on it.

I had already replaced the trans filter and changed the fluid- these cars have a 'sealed' transmission with no dipstick to check...

I'm guessing a shift solenoid is bad or for some other reason the torque converter is not locking up.

Does anyone have a side-work mechanic that knows the GM's?

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Any GM mechanics? Transmission repair suggestions?

Post by kokopelli » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:19 pm

Edit: research shows these are a common problem- Gm did not harden the splines on the 4th gear shaft…

Recommendations for transmission repair? Doesn’t need a full rebuild, apparently the shaft and clutch pack can be replaced among.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:42 pm

Transmission guys are VERY few and far between anymore.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:28 pm

One word of advice is to stay away from Mr. Transmission.
I had a seal that was leaking on the dipstick attachment and it was about a 1/2 hour fix but I didn't have a jack and stands at the time so Mr. Transmission quoted me $40 for the repair. Dropped off the car and not 10 minutes later they call to tell me my Transmission is burned out and needs a total replacement for $2,500!!!!!
Told them to leave my vehicle alone and I'd be right there. Guy behind the counter went on about I'd be lucky to make it out of the parking lot, we had words, I left and went to Aamco. They replaced the seal for $40 and told me the Transmission was fine, which I already knew. Put another 100+ K miles on the vehicle before trading it in.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by kokopelli » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:56 pm

^^^^ that’s why I’m really trying to find an Indy mechanic…

Return to “Everything Else”