Vehicle scan/diagnostic tool help

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 14 times

Vehicle scan/diagnostic tool help

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 pm

So I need help with deciding on a new scan tool to work on my vehicles. My Volkswagen has been down for a while and I need to get it back running. What is needed is a diagnostic tool that can read codes and the data coming from the sensors relatively quickly. Does anybody have any experience with that Bluedriver bluetooth scan tool? That thing sounds like it might work but I read in a review it takes hours for it to read the O2 sensors. I just dontnb know if that is true or not.

Any other suggestions that will not break the bank? I do not have Snap on money so that is out of the question.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Vehicle scan/diagnostic tool help

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:49 pm

All jokes aside, you better have snap on money if you plan on driving a VW.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

These users liked the author jackalo626 for the post:
Toddstang
Rating: 12.5%

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 pm

Don’t go the Bluetooth route. The good ones are as expensive as a scan tool. I use one for some applications because it will communicate with some OEM softwares on my laptop.

Autel MaxiDiag MD802 (All Systems) is a good all around tool for about $100. Anything better and you’re looking at $250+

Oh, and Snapon sucks

"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 am

jackalo626 wrote:All jokes aside, you better have snap on money if you plan on driving a VW.

Yeah, at first the vehicle was really reliable. Then this happened and now I cannot figure out why it will not start.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:27 am

Scan tool isn’t going to do a whole lot of good on a no start unless you have a code for something specific like a crank sensor. Remember the basics. Fuel. Spark. Compression. First thing is to figure out is which one you’re missing.

These users liked the author PDM for the post:
Rem700
Rating: 12.5%
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:48 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 am
jackalo626 wrote:All jokes aside, you better have snap on money if you plan on driving a VW.

Yeah, at first the vehicle was really reliable. Then this happened and now I cannot figure out why it will not start.

because it is German and a volkswagon

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 am

jackalo626 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Long gone are the the days that to keep one going all you needed was a screwdriver, a crescent wrench, oil, and gas. But then German tradition kicked back in and VWs became more like other German products in being a nightmare and a money pit to maintain.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:39 am

PDM wrote:Scan tool isn’t going to do a whole lot of good on a no start unless you have a code for something specific like a crank sensor. Remember the basics. Fuel. Spark. Compression. First thing is to figure out is which one you’re missing.
I know I am not getting spark. Fuel and compression, well compression is good. Fuel and spark have to be related to the same issue.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am

PDM wrote:Don’t go the Bluetooth route. The good ones are as expensive as a scan tool. I use one for some applications because it will communicate with some OEM softwares on my laptop.

Autel MaxiDiag MD802 (All Systems) is a good all around tool for about $100. Anything better and you’re looking at $250+

Oh, and Snapon sucks

By chance this one correct?

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:41 am

WLJ wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Long gone are the the days that to keep one going all you needed was a screwdriver, a crescent wrench, oil, and gas. But then German tradition kicked back in and VWs became more like other German products in being a nightmare and a money pit to maintain.
I did not pay much for the vehicle at all. I just want to know what is actually wrong with it and if it's going to be worth repairing or not.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:
PDM wrote:Scan tool isn’t going to do a whole lot of good on a no start unless you have a code for something specific like a crank sensor. Remember the basics. Fuel. Spark. Compression. First thing is to figure out is which one you’re missing.
I know I am not getting spark. Fuel and compression, well compression is good. Fuel and spark have to be related to the same issue.

Don’t chase no fuel issue until you have spark. If spark is missing, the computer will shut down the injectors to save the cat.

Scope-on-a-rope (incandescent test light) is a good way to chase down ignition issues. You can see where lose signal from computer to spark plug. Youtube is your friend. Lots of good diagnostic information
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:56 am

Toecutter1978 wrote:
PDM wrote:Don’t go the Bluetooth route. The good ones are as expensive as a scan tool. I use one for some applications because it will communicate with some OEM softwares on my laptop.

Oh, and Snapon sucks

Yep
Tench Coxe

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:05 pm

PDM wrote:
Toecutter1978 wrote:

Oh, and Snapon sucks

Yep
Cool, thank you. I will get that on order. I see that is $10 per vehicle after the first one, that is still cheaper than that bluedriver even with two vehicles and does more. Thank you again!

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 pm

The MD806 is $200 and covers all vehicles. If you want a Bluetooth tool, OBDLink MX. or MX+ for iOS
Tench Coxe

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:00 am

PDM wrote:The MD806 is $200 and covers all vehicles. If you want a Bluetooth tool, OBDLink MX. or MX+ for iOS
I ordered the 802, I figure adding a vehicle or two down the line would not be that bad. Funny thing is they said it was in stock but now it is on backorder.. ugh.

Return to “Everything Else”