Shooting distance question for New Haven range???

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Shooting distance question for New Haven range???

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Hey everyone,
I recently purchased a bolt-action .308 and am wanting to get it sighted in at 100 yards.

Assuming shooting under the roofed area (on the concrete slab) and using a picnic table for a bench, does anyone know what the max yardage is to the backstop/berm/hill???

I do not want to place the target up on the hill. I want to keep the target at ground level.

Thanks
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Shooting distance question for New Haven range???

Post by WLJ » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:19 pm

From memory I believe the distance from the roofed in area to the bottom of the berm is something like ~90yds. To get 100yds you have to shoot from somewhere beside the building.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks. I was thinking under cover was around 85 yards or so. I don't have a range finder so looks like it is time to break out the 25 foot measuring tape and walk it off!!!!
God made man.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm

If you were in Louisville I could loan you mine.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:37 pm

If I remember correctly you have to shoot like corner to corner their to get close to 100 yards. Why not just go to open range in crestwood? They’ve got an indoor 100yd rifle range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:56 pm

ssracer wrote:If I remember correctly you have to shoot like corner to corner their to get close to 100 yards. Why not just go to open range in crestwood? They’ve got an indoor 100yd rifle range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm in Elizabethtown. The trip to New Haven is approx. 25 miles one way. The trip to Crestwood is much longer!!! :)
God made man.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:42 pm

If i remember right - the firing line is 70 yards to the berm, so you have to go 30 yards behind that. Something like just past the back of the building
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigelowe » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Corner to corner, like SS said, will get you 100yds
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

plumber_bob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by plumber_bob » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:58 pm

You have to shoot from the left corner by the range house to the far right corner.

If you shoot the other way you'll be almost shooting towards a house off in the distance.

Both advice given are right tho.
80 yards from the range house to the bottom of the berm. So you can go back beside the house and get 100 yards.

From that old left trap tower thingy to the far corner down range, go about 20' or so up the small hill and you'll also be about 100 yards.

pb
"One Man With Courage is a Majority"

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Buy 300 feet of rope. Take to range arms stretch it out. No need for a fancy range finder.

Also, get a ballistic chart for you load. See what a 100 yard zero will impact at 25 or 50 yards. Sight in at the closer range based on the chart
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Return to “Everything Else”