Buying a house where able to shoot on property question

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
scrypyr
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Buying a house where able to shoot on property question

Post by scrypyr » Tue May 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Afternoon all,

I have had a dream of owning my own place where I can simply go out back in my yard and shoot. I however have no idea if I need to move to only certain areas of the state/counties or in general what the prerequisites are. I currently live and work in Louisville so I am looking for an area outside of the city in general but not so far out that my daily drive is a nightmare.

I suppose I am looking for tips, advice on what I need to know since at the moment have no idea, just a nice picture in my head of the hickok45 compound KY edition :)

Does the lot size of the land play a roll?
When I start talking to realitors if I mention that I want land to shoot on is this a bad thing to mention, etc

Any advice or info to help me better plan for next year would be appreciated, thanks.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Buying a house where able to shoot on property question

Post by Frailer » Tue May 08, 2018 7:59 pm

In *most* counties there are very few restrictions on discharging firearms outside city limits; essentially, if you’re not putting others at risk you’re good to go. But I have no idea what this means in Jefferson County due to the Louisville Metro merger.

The size of your property does play a role, but even more important is the topography, as you must have a good backstop.

I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t mention your desires to a realtor.

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Tue May 08, 2018 8:15 pm

As it's been said many times. Location, Location, Location. I live in Jefferson county and do not have a lot of acreage, however we are surrounded by farms and large plots 50+ acres. When our house was being finished I asked the dozed operator if I could hire him to build me a berm in a semicircle shape roughly 8 feet high and on a nearly 35 foot radius. He did it in ten minutes at no charge. Great guy! I have had neighbors call law enforcement to my practice sessions. I would have gladly spoken to my neighbors but... When officers found my address and followed the sound, I asked what I could help them with. They had me show them that I was being safe. I showed my firearms were in a safe condition, I was in fact the owner, and my targets and backstop. All was found to be fine. In fact some became friends and came out to shoot at limited times. The biggest possible problem is to shoot at early or late to become a nuisance. I've been here for 25+ years and no real issues. Later I found that a couple of people whom I had given permission to come out to shoot began to come out at 7:00 am on Saturday morning with a few of their friends to shoot. I didn't know these people. I asked that they not come back, the lot of them! Be safe, know what the rules in your area are, and enjoy.
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 pm

I live in Bullitt. I shoot safely as do most of the people around me. We've never had any issues. Law enforcement around here is very lenient and understanding in that respect. Absolutely tell your realtor want you want. If they balk at it, get yourself a new realtor.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

scrypyr

Post by scrypyr » Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks for the info :)

What do you think the minimum distance between lots should be?
I will be a first time home buyer and most likely wont be able to spend a ton of money on land, definitely wont be able to

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Tue May 08, 2018 9:54 pm

In Louisville there is no ordinance or law preventing you from shooting a firearm, assuming you are doing so safely.
:llama:

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 pm

scrypyr wrote:Thanks for the info :)

What do you think the minimum distance between lots should be?
I will be a first time home buyer and most likely wont be able to spend a ton of money on land, definitely wont be able to
What sort of guns do you plan on shooting, and at what range?

A 500m rifle range is likely to cost you, but a 25m pistol range is fairly easy.

irishrob
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by irishrob » Wed May 09, 2018 12:50 am

Mike wrote:In Louisville there is no ordinance or law preventing you from shooting a firearm, assuming you are doing so safely.
Thought that was just north of the watterson & west of 65. :llama:

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Bullitt County is what you seek. I have fond memories of Dad sighting in the 30.06 for deer season off the front porch.

If in Loser Metro, you need suppressor(s) or your neighbors WILL be SWATTING you!

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed May 09, 2018 2:38 pm

We live in nelson. 12.5 acres on our homestead and 115 up the road. 0 issues shooting off our deck. Just tell your realtor what you're looking for

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm

irishrob wrote:
Mike wrote:In Louisville there is no ordinance or law preventing you from shooting a firearm, assuming you are doing so safely.

There is no “city limits” anymore. You can shoot down at 34th and Rowan and as long as you are doing it safely, there is no crime.
:llama:

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 333 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Mike wrote:
irishrob wrote:

There is no “city limits” anymore. You can shoot down at 34th and Rowan and as long as you are doing it safely, there is no crime.
Like shooting the person intended and no one else during a drive by?

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Wed May 09, 2018 5:16 pm

There is no “city limits” anymore. You can shoot down at 34th and Rowan and it's just another day in Portland.
Fixed it for you

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 pm

I have 15 acres in oldham county. Surrounded by horse farms and some suburbanites who moved to the country and think they are still in civilization. Rather than deal with them going all white around the mouth i solved the problem with suppressors and threaded firearms. No legal issues shooting but i don't want to deal with the rich snowflakes LOL.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Vividia wrote:I have 15 acres in oldham county. Surrounded by horse farms and some suburbanites who moved to the country and think they are still in civilization. Rather than deal with them going all white around the mouth i solved the problem with suppressors and threaded firearms. No legal issues shooting but i don't want to deal with the rich snowflakes LOL.
Here in Meade County I’ve only had one comment from a neighbor regarding my shooting: she asked me to hunt down the raccoons that were ravaging her garden. Mission accepted: whacked four that summer.

No transplanted urbanites around these parts. A couple of years ago I was on my back porch when dove season opened...I’ve been in quieter firefights.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 333 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Thu May 10, 2018 8:58 am

Transplants to Oldham have ruined a once awesome county... It's little Jefferson now.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Carroll county here, to far out for your Lance Armstrong wannabe bike riders and basic bitch soccer moms. At my place we can get a few hundred and down the road we can probably get a grand based on grass growth. The law don't even respond if anyone calls, 5gal of tannerit might get a Facebook post asking what the hell that was.

Return to “Everything Else”