A blast from the past: The NYC subways in the 1970s & 80s

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

A blast from the past: The NYC subways in the 1970s & 80s

Post by WLJ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:04 am

Remember reading about the Guardian Angels patrolling the subways back then. Glad I didn't, and still don't, live in NYC.

26 Disturbing Pictures From New York Subway History
https://www.buzzfeed.com/gabrielsanchez ... .hoeKwkDmm
Last edited by WLJ on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: A blast from the past: The NYC subways in the 1980s

Post by PDM » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:09 am

Imagine that... all the dates sandwiched between two republican mayor bookends
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: A blast from the past: The NYC subways in the 1970s & 80

Post by richief » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Sure Brings back memories. My father was a conductor for 46 years, I rode with him into Grand Central Station since I could walk, he often had jobs with many hours swing in between coming back out, and by age 9 would turn me loose with a dollar in my pocket with an agreed time and track number to meet up. 1970's NYC was an interesting place to hang out on weekends, heroin addicts nodding out on trunk of cars an pissed off owners just drivin off, the ladies on 42nd st., got a crewcut every month for a quarter at a fifth story cigar smoke and playboy magazine littered barber shop. Pretty much anything goes, and went unaddressed by people or cops. Ran the gammet from magnificent to depraved back then, but intriguing at the same time. As a teenager I knew all the conductors and engineers and me n my friends with me never paid to ride trains. Got fireworks every summer in chinatown, been to msg golden gloves dozens of times, spent sleepless weekends partying at outrageous clubs. Rudy Gulliani tamed the hell out of that city and fairly tame now compared to 70's early 80's, but most things are.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Rudy's policing tactics were adopted by every other large police department in the early 90's, including the old Louisville Police. I remember first hearing about the 'community oriented policing' strategy, but back when it actually meant cleaning up the community and locking up everybody for anything at all, instead of turning a blind eye to it...which is what happened before, and what's happening now.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:14 pm

...and I see Eddie Murphy on his way to work. Lisa was hot!

Return to “Everything Else”