IDPA shooters here?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

IDPA shooters here?

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Just became an IDPA member. Plan to shoot my first match this month at BGSL range. Any one here with any tips? Specifically anyone that shoots at BGSL?

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: IDPA shooters here?

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 pm

I know there is a few on here that do I'm sure will chime in.. I've really been wanting to, but still haven't made one of these yet...

samb.

Post by samb. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Get a vest
Watch the regular shooters and imitate their movements
Follow the stage instructions
Reload behind cover
Don't get sucked into the cover its pointless for a 3' closer shots it just slows your movement
Practice your single hand pistol shots (strong and weak)

Uspsa is more fun and flexible shooting but IDPA is a fun start to get into the action shooting game. BGSL has a 3gun match on the 28th and I'm sure a uspsa planned soon if you want to watch it sometime. Not sure how close you are but Semper Fi guns in Lexington holds IDPA Tuesdays and Thursdays (same stages) weekly.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Shoot it like you are in a gunfight. It will be slower but useful.

Hits trump speed
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Gaffshot
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gaffshot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am

USPSA > idpa

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 am

Gaffshot wrote:USPSA > idpa
+1
More targets and less goofy rules.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:26 pm

samb. wrote:Get a vest
Watch the regular shooters and imitate their movements
Follow the stage instructions
Reload behind cover
Don't get sucked into the cover its pointless for a 3' closer shots it just slows your movement
Practice your single hand pistol shots (strong and weak)

Uspsa is more fun and flexible shooting but IDPA is a fun start to get into the action shooting game. BGSL has a 3gun match on the 28th and I'm sure a uspsa planned soon if you want to watch it sometime. Not sure how close you are but Semper Fi guns in Lexington holds IDPA Tuesdays and Thursdays (same stages) weekly.
Thanks ill have to check out semper fi guns.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Just figured I would update. Been to 6 idpa matches so far. Can't believe I waited this long to get started. I highly recommend everyone here try it out. 2017 rules say non members can shoot 3 matches before they are required to pay for a membership. The match fees are less than most indoor ranges charge for a hour and it gets you about 3 hours of fun. Plus you get to run around and draw from concealment and shoot movers and steel targets. I need to get a local idpa match setup in etown at that new range.

samb.

Post by samb. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:55 pm

justang1997 wrote:Just figured I would update. Been to 6 idpa matches so far. Can't believe I waited this long to get started. I highly recommend everyone here try it out. 2017 rules say non members can shoot 3 matches before they are required to pay for a membership. The match fees are less than most indoor ranges charge for a hour and it gets you about 3 hours of fun. Plus you get to run around and draw from concealment and shoot movers and steel targets. I need to get a local idpa match setup in etown at that new range.
Wait till you try uspsa or 3gun. 3x the guns 3x the fun without most of the silly rules like needing to reload behind cover. If you want to try 3gun sometime message me and I'll be happy to let you run my gear at a match with me.

Return to “Everything Else”