Deer!

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
samb.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Deer!

Post by samb. » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Going out in the morning. I wish I didn't pass on the buck opening day, oh well live and learn.

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:46 pm

My 12 year old son shot a nice buck today. He's deadly with his 6.5 Grendel!
Attachments
20161117_170418.jpg
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Geno wrote:My 12 year old son shot a nice buck today. He's deadly with his 6.5 Grendel!
Nice!

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:09 pm

Congrats to your boy!

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 pm

My best friend, known him longer than anyone who isn't family or a family friend, decided he wanted to learn how to take a deer from the woods to the table totally by yourself. We finally found time to make it happen this afternoon, sitting in a stand for five hours or so without seeing anything but a dog run through the woods. There's still legal shooting light but we decide there isn't enough light to take a shot anymore at the distances we have, and call it...

On the way back he sees a big doe staring at us across the field maybe 40 yards away. It stares at us and stares at us, as we talk in normal voices and make no attempts to stay quiet or slow. He brings his rifle up, a 700 in .30-06 w/ 6x scope, and says he doesn't feel comfortable with the low light. I take his rifle, take a knee, decide I can see plenty well enough, cycle the bolt to chamber a round, and drop it where it stood. High shoulder/spine shot, took out both lungs and the spine. The lungs were shredded but there was no blood in the trachea, mouth, or outside of the nose so we know it died instantly or nearly instantly without even another breath. We took off as much meat as we could (quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, neck and rib meat). I wish we could have let it hang a day or two, but it wasn't practical.

For the first deer he watched me gut, helped skin, and helped trim the pieces from the neck/ribs to be ground up. Next time he'll do the gutting with guidance and do more of the butchering. It was great to show someone with interest how to make it all happen.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Had three of them get hit in my 12 hour shift yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_1268.JPG
:llama:

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Mike wrote:Had three of them get hit in my 12 hour shift yesterday.
71 looks like a slaughter house. WK Parkway did Sat also.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:38 am

Anyone ever eaten deer liver? I think I'll try it out tomorrow. I saved the heart too, not sure what I'll end up doing with it yet.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:44 pm

I wasn't willing to mess with the liver. Once I cut into it there were a few spots I thought might be liver fluke and the liver had retained a TON of blood. It wasn't deep red or purple like liver should be, it was solid black from the blood.

I did fry up the heart though. Trim it very well, and don't overcook it. It takes likes 30 seconds on one side and about 15 on the other. Mine was overcooked just a tiny bit and waaay too salty. I salvaged it with good toast and a nearly-saltless onion gravy. Heart on toast, top with gravy. It's pretty delicious, and one heart can feed two, or three if you have something else to eat with it.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:19 am

Whootsinator wrote:I wasn't willing to mess with the liver. Once I cut into it there were a few spots I thought might be liver fluke and the liver had retained a TON of blood. It wasn't deep red or purple like liver should be, it was solid black from the blood.

I did fry up the heart though. Trim it very well, and don't overcook it. It takes likes 30 seconds on one side and about 15 on the other. Mine was overcooked just a tiny bit and waaay too salty. I salvaged it with good toast and a nearly-saltless onion gravy. Heart on toast, top with gravy. It's pretty delicious, and one heart can feed two, or three if you have something else to eat with it.
It makes great dog treats.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by ProCroation » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:30 am

New phone. Finally got Tapatalk straightened out to upload pictures so here we go.

My friend at work got this in early bow season this year.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:33 am

My brother got this last weekend

A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:37 am

Same buddy as above shot this doe. She flinched just as he was releasing his arrow. Just barely grazed her neck with a mechanical broadhead. Still dropped her within 75 feet. Some guys have all the luck lol.

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:05 pm

ProCroation wrote:Image

Same buddy as above shot this doe. She flinched just as he was releasing his arrow. Just barely grazed her neck with a mechanical broadhead. Still dropped her within 75 feet. Some guys have all the luck lol.

Lucky works!

My brother in law shot at a doe once. She jumped the string and only creased her back barely drawing blood. She ran to about 70 yards in a field and stopped. He wasn't sure of the initial hit so he let another arrow fly. He had pins to 55 yards. The second arrow barely clipped the femoral artery above the Achilles tendon. It was a conventional broadhead and the doe didn't even flinch or run. Within a minute or so she fell over. Bled out!
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Geno wrote:
ProCroation wrote:Image

Lucky works!

My brother in law shot at a doe once. She jumped the string and only creased her back barely drawing blood. She ran to about 70 yards in a field and stopped. He wasn't sure of the initial hit so he let another arrow fly. He had pins to 55 yards. The second arrow barely clipped the femoral artery above the Achilles tendon. It was a conventional broadhead and the doe didn't even flinch or run. Within a minute or so she fell over. Bled out!
wow that's incredibly lucky. My dad used to have a deer hunting vhs tape where a hunter hit a doe in the femoral artery and she limped maybe 10 feet and fell over. Incredibly messy sight lol.

Return to “Everything Else”