I need a job!!!

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

I need a job!!!

Post by kokopelli » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:42 pm

:llama:

Ok...new site, new rant/bitch.

-spent 19 years on the PD, got busted up at work, left me with a damaged spine L3-S1 are fubar'd. I get around ok, take pain meds when I have to, get epidurals every so often, will need surgery when I can't take it anymore.
PD showed me the door last October; I left with a medical retirement, so I get about half what I was making. Not enough.
The kicker is that I had gone back to school to finish my BA in Anthropology and graduated last Spring from UL, with the intent of working in Archaeology as a field tech. Field-Tech is fancy talk for shovel bum; spending 9-10 hour days digging 1x1 meter units with a shovel, filling 5 gallon buckets with the dirt and sifting through it.
I got hired buy a global firm that has a contract archaeology office here- I worked Oct-Nov for them as long as I could do it. The job was just too hard on me; I couldn't take enough meds to cope and it was wrecking me.

Soooooo....here I am with a degree I can't use- with a BA in Archaeology, FT is the only job you can do.
I also can't fall back on my PD experience because my pension has me by the balls. the retirement system has to approve any job I take, hence no security, etc, where there is any potential I'd have to put my hands on someone; no jobs with lifting, etc...so all the good paying, hiring warehouse jobs or anything with 'labor' is out. Heck, I couldn't even take a job at Lowe's as a cashier because the job description mentioned 'standing, sitting, lifting weights to 70 pounds...' :geek:

I've turned over every rock I can; talked to everyone- 'networked' my ass off. I've had three people tell me 'I'll hire you- call you in a week, etc' including the owner of a local gun range, and a supervisor at GE. Then they vaporized.

To say I'm bitter is an understatement. I spent two decades protecting the sheep, working nights, weekends, holidays, missing family events...I never went to any Derby events, never got to take my kids to a parade, Thunder Over Louisville, etc, because I was working it to ensure that everyone else was safe there.
I knew this when I signed up, but now that I'm on the other side, I feel like the guys coming home from the war- no respect and no job.

I've had suggestions, etc...but nothing has panned out.
As a last resort, I do have a job paying $7.25 an hour starting next weekend, but on the weekends only.

If anyone has ANY leads, suggestions, wanna tell me to stop whining...please contact me!!

:llama:

Ironsights
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: I need a job!!!

Post by Ironsights » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 pm

go to barbouring school? start hitting the yardsales and sell on ebay or fleamarket?. Invest in a popular breed of dog an start a small breeding business, we have done this in the past but are slowly getting out of it because my wife is now going back to work and we just dont have the time. I feel for ya man, really limits a person when your back is all screwed up.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:05 pm

You have a pension, medical coverage, your doing pretty well. You have a great opportunity to start an at home business or maybe become a CPA.I'm sorry about your situation but would urge ya to keep on the sunny side.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:12 pm

If you were closer to Frankfort I would tell you to talk to the transportation cabinet., I know they use arch. some. You might check with the local district office though.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 am

What about a call center or receptionist type job? Those would just require sitting.

You could always be an insurance agent.... all I do is sit. :D
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Return to “Everything Else”