Lawn mowers?

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Lawn mowers?

Post by SpookyPistolero » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:59 pm

I've got a lawn to take care of, for the first time. I need a mower. I just borrowed a husqvarna which was great. But I don't know mich other than what gets reviewed online.

I want a 21" push mower (not self propelled), that's available in Lex (not something fancy I have to track down). Want to keep it under $200. So far, Craftsman and Troy bilt seem to get good reviews, as does husqvarna.

Stopped by lowes but selection was crap. Thinking of looking at sears to tonight since I've got gift cards thst might take the edge off.

Any mower afficianados around??
You better call Kenny Loggins. Cause you're in the danger zone.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Lawn mowers?

Post by JustShootIt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Selleck may have some?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 161 times

Lawn mowers?

Post by nemo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Joe said he wasn't going to fool with mowers this year.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

mtmetzger
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by mtmetzger » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:38 pm

I'd recommend something with a Honda engine on it. Those things run well and run forever. They will be a little higher on the price though.

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by nemo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:38 pm

I pulled the mower out of winter storage last week, changed the oil and cleaned spark plug, started on first pull. Spending a little more on initial purchase will save frustration later. My toro is 11 years old and shows no signs of quitting.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

SpookyPistolero
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SpookyPistolero » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Well, came back with a husqvarna with a 149 CC Kohler engine. Got a lot of good reviews. There weren't any non-self propelled mowers with the Honda engine or I'd have gone that route.

I'll let you know how this one works out.
You better call Kenny Loggins. Cause you're in the danger zone.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:15 pm

China now legally produces a copy of the Honda engines and I swear they are just as good, if you are going to buy a cheap store brand mower , look to see if its made in China and has the Honda style engine.

nogomoto
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nogomoto » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Go to lowes. Get the Bowlens push mower that is around $150. Its a small lightweight guy that is easy to transport. They have an origional FLATHEAD Briggs and Stratton engine on them just like the good mowers had 20+ years ago. Out the door with a 3 year FREE replacement warranty, I was just under $180. As far as new push mowers go, it is a gem in the muck of new crap. These new mowers arent worth the cheap sheet metal the deck is stamped out of.

That is the only NEW push mower I found worth its salt. As most anyone else knows, I tinker with mowers quite often. I'm not doing them this year, but I'm still in the game. My father n law (the man who showed me the ins and outs of small engines) is the mower guy this year. He has a lack of computer skills so I'm kinda his sales and delivery guy. Now that being said, I run older mowers that were built to last I just kinda modify them a little bit. Old with some new influence will always kick a new mowers tail untill you get into the large commercial units.

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:55 pm

speaking of mowers i need to change the oil and spark plug in mine. need to clean up the chain saw too. then its go time.
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

reverend dreed

Post by reverend dreed » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 am

son of liberty wrote:China now legally produces a copy of the Honda engines and I swear they are just as good, if you are going to buy a cheap store brand mower , look to see if its made in China and has the Honda style engine.
yep the engine carries the brand name steel or something like that. trying to get in on the stihl market is my guess. we sell home generators using the motor and seem to be very reliable. my mowere is a cub cadet with a 26 hp kohler motor

reverend dreed

Post by reverend dreed » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:15 am

mtchbrian wrote: need to clean up the chain saw too. then its go time.
chain saw? hmm anyone seen Moose around? you just reminded me that he borrowed mine last year.

Return to “Everything Else”