For long-unemployed, hiring bias rears its head

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:50 am

http://www.wave3.com/story/17235856/for ... s-its-head

I've Encountered this a couple of time
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: For long-unemployed, hiring bias rears its head

Post by BIGC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:00 am

more than a few times....... I know for a fact its the reason I didnt get a position I interviewed for a few weeks ago. Lady told me as much when she called to tell me I hadn't got it...
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 am

Yes unfortunate as it is, I have some friends with businesses who also take this stance. The problem it seems is that it is difficult to ascertain who is actually out there wanting to work and who has just said "screw it, I am going to be laid back and enjoy living off the state for a while" until the times get desperate and the unemployment is running out and they have to find something. I have talked to numerous people while helping one buddy. Not a day doesn't go by when someone calls his office or comes by and wants a job and when he tells them he has an opening and they ask what it pays...it typically gets the statement " I can't take that, I get more on unemployment"; or "I just have to make contact a couple times a week".

I was talking to a dealer at one of the gun shows recently. He had some people with him and one of them was a young 22 year old male. He told me the guy was a relative but working for free for him and his friend. He had been out of work for 3 years and on unemployment the whole time and couldn't find a job. I gave the guy three references to jobs I had seen recently on FB, one of which was a Lowes I know to be hiring. He told me it was too far to drive and didn't pay enough. The other two seemed to be too far to drive as well but we didn't know the pay but were factory jobs I had seen in postings on Facebook by friends recently.

The guy would never answer my question about whether or not the boy lived at home with parents or not but I suspected as much. I have known about 10 people in that situation. Using it for a free ride. I always make a mental note when I see some place hiring and then invariably run across someone saying they can't find a job. My most recent sighting is Wendys saying they are looking for managers locally. I have one friend who was ending his unemployment cycle and I got him a job in a store because I got to know the owner through frequent visits. My friend was in a tight situation and the job only paid $8 an hour but faced with that or nothing, he took it and enjoys the job and has several good raises because he is responsible. I knew what the store wanted and knew he could do it but he had had the same, "nothing out there, not really caring, dejected from the situation attitude" and wasn't trying hard EVERYDAY to find it. Had I not found it for him, I doubt he would have found anything. On the plus side, if he wants to stay a couple years, he could be managing one because he is responsible and a good person.

Sometimes you have to expand your circle of contacts, look hard for one consistently, and maybe take an inner look at why you don't get the job and be honest with yourself or call back and ask questions.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:02 am

Yea, nothing like been told that the reason you you didn't get the job is because you don't have a job. Well assholes if I had a job I probability wouldn't be here asking for a job would I. Grrrrrrrrr
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:25 am

The last interview I had the lady asked what I had made at my previous positon and I told her, but I added that pay didnt matter and I would be willing to accept a position at a lower payrate. She called me back and I came in, did a total of 3 interviews with that company. The ending result she called back and said that they felt they could not pay me enough to keep me happy and that even if I did accept the position I would just be using them as a stepping stone to look for a better paying position.

One of the wife's friends had me apply for a position Monday and he said he would have the application pulled for me, so I will see if anything comes from this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:27 am

It's like being trapped in a F'ing catch 22.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:17 am

We have had trouble just finding suitable applicants possessing the needed skills

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:17 am

KYgundude wrote:We have had trouble just finding suitable applicants possessing the needed skills
What skills would that be?

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 am

we need to get a Jobs board on here. that way anyone and everyone who knows of a local job can post it up and help out their fellow man.
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:40 am

I know the one phrase I am getting really tired of hearing when being turned down on a job is; We're sorry but you are OVER QUALIFIED for this position...

Seriously I mean WTF, I need a job, I am out of work I would think be well qualified for a position would be a plus not a negative...

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:43 am

BIGC wrote:I know the one phrase I am getting really tired of hearing when being turned down on a job is; We're sorry but you are OVER QUALIFIED for this position...

Seriously I mean WTF, I need a job, I am out of work I would think be well qualified for a position would be a plus not a negative...
Heard that too many times.

Maybe that why I can't get a date as well, I'm over qualified

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 am

Keep telling yourself that.:llama:
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:51 am

Marcus wrote:Keep telling yourself that.:llama:
Considering the cheating scum sucking dirty worthless pieces of shit trash I see pretty women out with, I will.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 am

WLJ wrote:
KYgundude wrote:We have had trouble just finding suitable applicants possessing the needed skills
Software quality assurance
SQL server 2008 management studio
Team Foundation Server

Basically we are a Microsoft development shop.

I've asked my boss if he would consider training someone with general technical skills and was told we can't do it :(

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 pm

KYgundude wrote:
WLJ wrote:
Software quality assurance
SQL server 2008 management studio
Team Foundation Server

Basically we are a Microsoft development shop.

I've asked my boss if he would consider training someone with general technical skills and was told we can't do it :(

I would have my MCSE if the school I went to hadnt fucked the whole class over......................

by the time I pay that shit off it will be over 40 grand with nothing but a diploma to show for it..

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Oh and I have been with my friend when people come in looking for jobs in sandals ; Manpris /holy shorts; and ripped t-shirts...to work in a retail environment.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Dave1965 wrote:Oh and I have been with my friend when people come in looking for jobs in sandals ; Manpris /holy shorts; and ripped t-shirts...to work in a retail environment.
Some of that could be they were passing by and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 pm

WLJ wrote:
Dave1965 wrote:Oh and I have been with my friend when people come in looking for jobs in sandals ; Manpris /holy shorts; and ripped t-shirts...to work in a retail environment.
Some of that could be they were passing by and it doesn't hurt to ask.
First impressions...

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:17 am

It is amazing to me to see how people do come in when they are job hunting, but on the flip side now some of these same people are running companies and things like dressing up to make a good first impression is changing.

I was turned down on a job because I showed up in dockers, a dress shirt, tie and dress shoes. Probably would have got the job had I showed up in shorts and a tshirt..... 2 team leads interviewed me were in cut off shorts and tshirts and the first thing they asked was why had I dressed up for the interview, had I never been in their building... I told the guy that I had applied online and had never seen the inside of their building to know how they dressed so I thought I had dressed appropriate for a job interview.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 am

BIGC wrote:
It is amazing to me to see how people do come in when they are job hunting, but on the flip side now some of these same people are running companies and things like dressing up to make a good first impression is changing.

I was turned down on a job because I showed up in dockers, a dress shirt, tie and dress shoes. Probably would have got the job had I showed up in shorts and a tshirt..... 2 team leads interviewed me were in cut off shorts and tshirts and the first thing they asked was why had I dressed up for the interview, had I never been in their building... I told the guy that I had applied online and had never seen the inside of their building to know how they dressed so I thought I had dressed appropriate for a job interview.
That is probably more the exception than the rule though. Not going to be every place you go and it looks better to people if you didn't just look like you rolled out of bed. Like I said, for a more retail environment.

BIGC

Post by BIGC » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:59 am

True, and I am not saying it is a rule. I have always dressed up for interviews, keep a nice tie just for the occasion but it seems that I am running into more and more companies that are on the flip side.

reverend dreed
Been liked: 0

Post by reverend dreed » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 am

i have a standing job offer for ful time employment, i have been troubling over for awhile now. If i take the job i would make more than i am allowed to make and still collect my social security check. with what i make now plus the s/s check i make about the same money i would make there. But if i take the job and it does not work out id have to wait 2 years to get back on s/s.

but the way s/s is age related i am not on disabbility or i would have already taken the job and got off of disability

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:10 pm

the other thing I hate is the question that is on EVERY apppliction:

'ethnicity', 'race', etc... usually there's a long paragraph disclaimer stating that they don't use this information to make a decision, blah, blah, blah....then why ask!?

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 pm

reverend dreed wrote:i have a standing job offer for ful time employment, i have been troubling over for awhile now. If i take the job i would make more than i am allowed to make and still collect my social security check. with what i make now plus the s/s check i make about the same money i would make there. But if i take the job and it does not work out id have to wait 2 years to get back on s/s.

but the way s/s is age related i am not on disabbility or i would have already taken the job and got off of disability

Good man, can't you work out a deal where you will work for them for an amount equal to what you are able to make? For instance, if the amount equals 10 hours, can't they give you employment to work those 10 hours?

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 pm

kokopelli wrote:the other thing I hate is the question that is on EVERY apppliction:

'ethnicity', 'race', etc... usually there's a long paragraph disclaimer stating that they don't use this information to make a decision, blah, blah, blah....then why ask!?
cause secrectly we all know they do use it.....leaving it blank could get you a first interview at least

Return to “Everything Else”