Rhino or Mule. UTV???

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Rhino or Mule. UTV???

Post by Next » Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Have a 500 Ranger. Want something new.

Mule - like the bench seat, plenty of power, had one before built like a tank. The good.....

Solid axle, looks same as did 8 years ago, top speed 25 mph..... The bad

Rhino. - have two Yamaha ATVs they are very dependable. Like the power and suspension The good..

Not sure I like bucket seats, smaller bed. Not sure how well they hold up. Cost more... The bad

Anyone have either???

I have tried about everything else. It is down to these two...
Last edited by Next on Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Re: Rhino or Mule. UTV???

Post by KYgundude » Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

I think the Polaris RZR is teh bombzorz!

<Insert witty Tapatalk signature here>

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Next » Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Polaris = repairs. Also very loud and very small cargo area

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Rhino is about as good as it gets for equal play and work time. RZR is bad ass at play, useless at work. Rhino is okay at both. Not as good at play as RZR and not as hard a worker as the mule. Just okay at both.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Post by JustShootIt » Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 pm

From the choices Yamaha would be my pick....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Wed May 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Next wrote:Polaris = repairs. Also very loud and very small cargo area
If cargo is in the decision I change my recommendation. My buddies RZR is nuts for off road but doesn't hold squat. I love driving it.

<Insert witty Tapatalk signature here>

shaggy1392
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by shaggy1392 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 pm

My dad has a mule and loves it. It's tough for sure. My 12 year old sisters friend hit the back of my dads suburban with it and it put a hole in the back of the suburban. Not a scrach on the mule

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Wed May 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Glad this was posted as Iam looking for a UTV soon. Look forward to opinions as well.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 pm

I can't say I'm an expert, but I've owned several and lots of buddies have them...

The Mule we had a few years ago was a decent machine....it was stout and would pull just about anything....however, the suspension SUCKED.....I mean bad......it was literally like riding on a wagon thru a field.

I never been a fan of Polaris quads, but their UTVs are impressive.....as noted, not the best "utilitarian" best a beast on off road and fun gettin....

Yamaha is a good "inbetween" UTV.....they work hard and play hard.....They don't have a ton of speed, but they got a lotta bawls....In the used market they can be bought pretty reasonable and most I see haven't been used much....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

CopperWires

Post by CopperWires » Wed May 08, 2013 11:32 pm

All wrong. If you want a fun trail rig, then get the razr. If you want to work or work and play, you need to look at the Kawasaki Teryx or the Can Am Commander. The Commander is super expensive though. The kawasaki is similar to the rhino but it runs better and has better suspension. Put it this way...the rhino got this market started but every company has improved upon that design...except yamaha.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 pm

The OP said it was between Mule or Rhino.....that's what he has it narrowed down to.

My experience Can Am quads are "meh" Big price tag and very average IMO.....But I've never used their UTVs so I can't make an honest comparison.

I would agree on the Teryx.....but that wasn't one of his options.....Kubota would be on top of my list if someone is wanting a work horse. Their line of UTVs are great (primarily utilitarian) Tons of cargo load, great suspension, strong diesel motors......but, that wasn't one of his options either.

Like to know what you finally decide to get!

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Next » Thu May 09, 2013 6:21 am

Only looking at Rhino and Mule.

Drove the Kawasaki's and didn't like them. RZR is fun and all, my neighbor has one, but it is not much of a work vehicle and I don't want another Polaris (Repairs). CanAm's are too expensive and I would be using this vehicle in Edmonton, KY and there is not a local CanAm dealer.

I am looking at Price, Ride, Size of bed for hauling, Future Repairs and local support. I am either going to buy from Rex's in Columbia or Mike's Cycle World in Glasgow.

My folks are looking at buying the 4 seat Mule and I am leaning towards the Rhino. Must sell my Ranger first.

I drove the Honda Big Red and the transmission was too odd for me to get use to and I can't find anyone that has one.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Thu May 09, 2013 8:25 am

Can Am is fast and great power but HUGE overpriced POS's... I agree the Teryx is pretty sweet ride also. I hate Polaris after owning a 2004 700 Sportsman but can't knock the RZRs, they have the sport side by side market locked. Hands down... I still agree with the Rhino for a equal work/play UTU.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 am

I know you are looking only at the Rhino and Mule, I only had experience with the Mule and it was great for the work we had it doing.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Gators? I'm interested in the 6x6 with the tandem rear axle.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 pm

The Gators are ok......we had one about 8/10 yrs ago.....they r a little slow and mostly a work vehicle. New ones are suppose to be a little quicker and "better" but I don't have personal experience with the newer ones. John Deere is alot like CanAm in IMO.....they make a decent product, but have a big price tag....paying for the label.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 pm

We have a kubota utv. Great work horse but not much to play in. Horribly slow but I did pull a 3500lb trailer up a hill pretty easily.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Next » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:43 am

Still have not decided on what to get. This weekend I had a wild hair to test drive a 1997 Jeep Wrangler soft top 4x4. Seemed like it would be fun. Not sure I would want a manual in the woods on the hills. Going to call to see how much insurance is today. 40+ year old lady said she was paying $100 a month for liability. May have to stick with a Side by Side.

Anyone have an older jeep (1995-1999ish) the do trial riding in? How do they hold up?

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:05 am

Next wrote:Still have not decided on what to get. This weekend I had a wild hair to test drive a 1997 Jeep Wrangler soft top 4x4. Seemed like it would be fun. Not sure I would want a manual in the woods on the hills. Going to call to see how much insurance is today. 40+ year old lady said she was paying $100 a month for liability. May have to stick with a Side by Side.

Anyone have an older jeep (1995-1999ish) the do trial riding in? How do they hold up?
Depends on what kind of trail riding your talking about.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 am

Manual is the way to go for trail ride. Unless you are all into the extreme rock crawling stuff, I would 100% go manual. Wranglers do okay depending on what axles it has and how you drive it, plans to lift it or not...

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Next » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 am

Don't want to lift. Really looking at do I spend $8-11k for a rhino or Polaris? Or buy a $5k jeep to use on farm and deer hunting etc. my trails are at least 70 inches wide for my 60 inch Polaris Ranger and the Jeep is 62 inches. Probably don't need to license it and just use it on my 300 acre farm. Just trail riding..

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 am

I would buy the cheapest descent Wrangler and put a decent set of tires on it and it will do everything it sounds like your looking to do and then some. It will save you $3-5k also over the Rhino or Ranger also...

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 am

It sounds to me like the Jeep would be the way to go, unless you want a playtoy to go other places and do other things. If you just want a work vehicle to get around the farmstead, as you said, well, there you go, especially if you don't license it or have to insure it.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

If you want to play even cheaper, the jeep cherokee is the same suspension and the doors etc can be taken off easily.

Throw on some 31" mudders and give it hell.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 am

86 slo-vo wrote:If you want to play even cheaper, the jeep cherokee is the same suspension and the doors etc can be taken off easily.

Throw on some 31" mudders and give it hell.
I agree...And they can be had for under a grand if you keep an eye out .

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:26 pm

A friend of mine bought two cherokees for cheap when we returned from Iraq in 2011. He's given then hell and they keep on chugging along. I've thought about one myself. It'd be nice to have a play toy, but my budget won't allow it right bow.
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Return to “Everything Else”