School cancels 'White Trash Wednesday'

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

School cancels 'White Trash Wednesday'

Post by WLJ » Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am

BBQ on trash can lids is "a common practice at some barbecue restaurants" ????

Video at the link.

http://www.wave3.com/story/22126287/sch ... complaints
School cancels 'White Trash Wednesday' after complaints
Posted: May 01, 2013 4:45 AM EDT Updated: May 01, 2013 4:55 AM EDT

The PTA came under fire for a planned “White Trash Wednesday,” featuring barbecue served on trash can lids. (Source: KOMO/CNN) The PTA came under fire for a planned “White Trash Wednesday,” featuring barbecue served on trash can lids. (Source: KOMO/CNN)

KENT, WA (KOMO/CNN) - It was meant to say thanks to those who sit in the classroom with the youngest minds.

Instead, a group of parents are getting a lesson when it comes to how they chose to celebrate their teachers.

There are more than 500 kids at Sunnycrest Elementary School in the Federal Way School District; many of them come from minority backgrounds, but all of them are getting a lesson in diversity.

The parent-teacher association wasn't kidding when it put out an email Monday night outlining the plan for teacher appreciation week. Themes range from "Muffin Top Monday," serving muffins and pastries to staff, to "Tempt Me Tuesday," with free massages. But the biggest concern seems to be over "White Trash Wednesday," where staff would have barbecue served to them on trash can lids.

Rudy Baca, Sunnycrest Elementary principal, said the first complaint came late Monday. By Tuesday, he canceled the event.

"Obviously there's some concern with that term, yes," he said. "It was just unfortunate because I really value the relationship I have with our PTA."

Mark Miller is set to send his oldest kid to the school next year and wonders who came up with the idea.

"I don't condone that type of talk in my house, so I certainly wouldn't want to see it at school," he said.

After the events were canceled, the PTA president sent this email to parents, saying the Talking Trash theme was meant to be about recycling and that if it was offensive to anyone that was never their intent. The school's principal vows to take a different approach to this issue next year.

That PTA email also sought to clarify why Wednesday's barbecue was going to be served on trash can lids.

It said it's a common practice at some barbecue restaurants.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: School cancels 'White Trash Wednesday'

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 am

must be a slow news day.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Thu May 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Where I went to school everyday was white trash day.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Kadnine » Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Trashcan lid BBQ? Doesn't sound very sanitary to me, but then again... I swam in the Ohio River in Portland as a child, and <twitch> didn't hurt me none!

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu May 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Kadnine wrote:Trashcan lid BBQ? Doesn't sound very sanitary to me, but then again... I swam in the Ohio River in Portland as a child, and <twitch> didn't hurt me none!

- Keith
Doesn't Famous Dave's BBQ have something like this. The food platter is actually a trash can lid?

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu May 02, 2013 3:33 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:
Kadnine wrote:Trashcan lid BBQ? Doesn't sound very sanitary to me, but then again... I swam in the Ohio River in Portland as a child, and <twitch> didn't hurt me none!

- Keith
Doesn't Famous Dave's BBQ have something like this. The food platter is actually a trash can lid?

yep
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu May 02, 2013 4:18 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:

- Keith

Famous Dave's on Hurstbourne? Home of the dried out ribs and pathetic catfish combined with terrible service? Why, yep. I believe they do have something like that! Been a few years, so maybe they're better now. But I was unimpressed, to say the least.

:llama:

- K
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu May 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Kadnine wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:

- Keith

Famous Dave's on Hurstbourne? Home of the dried out ribs and pathetic catfish combined with terrible service? Why, yep. I believe they do have something like that! Been a few years, so maybe they're better now. But I was unimpressed, to say the least.

:llama:

- K
Complany complainer
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey! I was careful to say it's been awhile! For all I know they're a first rate joint these days! Hence the llama. ;)

- K
~~~

~~~

Return to “Everything Else”