Shrinking the Military

All things related to the veterans of our Armed Forces. Thank you for your service!
325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Shrinking the Military

Post by 325MOUTguru » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Also the military in general has a nasty habit of lowering the standards to meet numbers.

Now back to topic, these are times where shrinking the military is a very bad idea.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 am

325MOUTguru wrote:I have to agree with DD on this.
We were trained certain ways to prepare us to actually do our job.
If you can't operate under the highest levels of stress you are a liability to yourself and your team.

Trying to use civility while training to engage in savage circumstances is insane.

Tactics evolve, equipment gets better but if we raise personnel unprepared to use it when it counts the most we might as well have spent all that money on wellfare.

YMMV
I agree with what you have to say and the standards, have not changed. I am not talking about enlistment standards as those change weekly and monthly based on the mission that comes down from higher. I am talking about the generation of Soldiers now you can't train the same way as I was trained 13 years ago. As a leader, you must see what is takes for your Squad, Section, or Platoon to meet the standard, then exceed it and master it. It requires a lot more time than it did, with all the BS political rules put in place to keep training "safe".

Because of the climate in todays Army, we have a surplus of -10 level soldiers and not enough, -20 and -30 level NCOs, which the Army answered that with automatic promotion, which just makes the problem even worse in most areas of the Army.

325MOUTguru wrote:Also the military in general has a nasty habit of lowering the standards to meet numbers.

Now back to topic, these are times where shrinking the military is a very bad idea.
Yup, going to lose a lot of good leaders in the process.

Jakob
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jakob » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:33 am

shelbygoat wrote:Because of the climate in todays Army, we have a surplus of -10 level soldiers and not enough, -20 and -30 level NCOs, which the Army answered that with automatic promotion, which just makes the problem even worse in most areas of the Army.
325MOUTguru wrote:Also the military in general has a nasty habit of lowering the standards to meet numbers.

Yup, going to lose a lot of good leaders in the process.
I couldn't agree with this part any more.
Livewire wrote:I remember when this was a free country and not a fascist one filled with limp wristed, tender hearted, liver lipped bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

Return to “Veteran Affairs”