Remembering SGT Brooks and SPC Stigler - 13 AUG 17

All things related to the veterans of our Armed Forces. Thank you for your service!
Whootsinator
Little Butthole
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Remembering SGT Brooks and SPC Stigler - 13 AUG 17

Post by Whootsinator » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... -iraq.html
SGT Brooks SPC Stigler x1800.jpg
"I am part of the firing battery that the two soldiers who recently passed were in... Last night we shot a couple of rounds in remembrance of them. if you would so kindly share these few pictures with the rest of our brothers and sisters in arms to let them know that we are still strong and still ready to fight and finish giving it to the rest of ISIS, it would be greatly appreciated not only from me but from the rest of our guys that knew them both personally...thank you."

WASHINGTON — An artillery round meant to be fired at an Islamic State target in northern Iraq on Sunday exploded prematurely killing two American soldiers, defense officials said.

The soldiers and five others wounded in the blast were evacuated by helicopter from an undisclosed firebase in Iraq, where American troops are aiding Iraq forces in their continuing battle with ISIS after the militants were ousted from their Mosul stronghold last month, Army Col. Rob Manning, a Pentagon spokesman, said Monday. The two artillerymen died after they were evacuated. The other five injured soldiers were expected to survive their wounds, Manning told reporters at the Pentagon.

"Our best wishes are with the families of the two soldiers who died and their fellow servicemembers," he said.

The slain were identified as Sgt. Roshain Euvince Brooks, 30, of Brooklyn, New York, and Spc. Allen Levi Stigler Jr., 22, of Arlington, Texas. Both were assigned to 2nd Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

The artillery crew was targeting an ISIS mortar position when the mishap occurred, Manning said. The unit was firing an M777 howitzer, a towed 155 mm artillery piece, according to another defense official who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Despite ISIS' claims Sunday that it killed the soldiers with rocket fire, Manning said "there is no indication at all that ISIS had anything to do with" the soldiers' deaths. He said the incident was under investigation.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Return to “Veteran Affairs”