Here’s why you NEVER call the Vet Help Line

All things related to the veterans of our Armed Forces. Thank you for your service!
scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Here’s why you NEVER call the Vet Help Line

Post by scorpionmain » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:03 pm

The VA has a “vet help line” run under a very lucrative contract. They’ve called it a lot of different names over the years. But it’s really the National Suicide Hotline (the VA doesn’t even have its own number that forwards… they just give out the suicide number as their own). So suicide is the problem vets have got, or at least that’s how the VA and the semi-trained, non-vet payroll patriots who work the line and run the program see it.

So if you call the vet helpline, you might just wind up like “A.B.,” stripped of his guns without due process and thrown into a nuthouse for evaluation. (He didn’t say he was suicidal. He didn’t threaten anybody. But if you call the line, they assume you are, assume you did, and they tell that to your friendly neighborhood police, who come guns drawn, expecting an armed, suicidal nutjob).

Even after the pshrinks let “A.B” go, the Daytona Beach Police were resisting returning his guns and other property. Now we know why.

Daytona Beach, FL – A Florida court on Tuesday ordered the Daytona Beach Police Department to return all property it seized from A.B., Florida Carry, Inc.’s co-plaintiff in the lawsuit against the City of Daytona Beach, its mayor and chief of police. A.B., an honorably discharged combat vet, called a veteran’s assistance hotline for someone to talk to. While the VA hotline worker did the right thing by having the police come out and check the situation, the police went too far. After he was taken in to custody and separated from his firearms, the police officers searched his home without a warrant or any exigent circumstance and illegally seized $20,000 worth of his firearms, bows, arrows, ammo, and first aid and protective equipment. Included was the Japanese Arisaka rifle that his grandfather brought back from WWII and the medical shears that this patriot used to cut two fellow Infantrymen from a HMMWV during an IED attack.

Unfortunately several of the firearms, including the irreplaceable Japanese heirloom war trophy, were damaged due to careless storage. The wood stocks were gouged and scratched, metal surfaces were marred, and the guns developed significant rusting. Some even had parts missing. In fact, the Arisaka brought back by the combat vet’s grandfather was ruined. Unlike firearms taken as evidence which are carefully and individually packaged to preserve them for use in court, these firearms were simply tossed on a shelf and ignored, left to be ravaged by humidity. The department also seized a plate carrier with a pouch originally containing an iPod Touch which mysteriously went missing.
Of course, there’s no mystery to the missing iPod. Some cop’s kid got a nice gift. Likewise, one of the reluctantly-returned rifles hadn’t been left rusting in the open-to-the-sea-breezes “storage” the DBPD used for “A.B.’s” things, unlike his other artifacts. It seems likely that the AR-15 had also found a home with one of the city’s lightfingered officers.

The city is arguing that all veterans who have been treated for PTSD, TBI or combat wounds are permanently “of unsound mind.”

It’s enough to drive a guy crazy.

If you call the VA for help, you’re making their “unsound mind” argument for them. Remember, their “Emotional Support Hotline” is actually a suicide hotline, run by non-vet counselors who will keep you talking while they call the police to raid your home.

So you see, there can be worse outcomes than “A.B.’s”. And there are.

In 2009, Christopher Kluttz called the hotline. Police Officer Preston Houpe, who knew Kluttz as a former officer in his department as well as a troubled veteran, responded and after several hours’ fruitless efforts to calm him down, wound up shooting him dead with 3 rounds of .40. Houpe says Kluttz attacked him with a knife.

In 2010, Matt Corrigan called the “Emotional Support” line because he was feeling depressed and having trouble sleeping. After they asked him questions that made him realize it was a suicide line, he hung up and took sleeping pills. He was hit with an 0400 full-on SWAT raid and thrown sequentially in a nut house and in jail.

In 2011, Sean Duvall got psychiatric help — and a bunch of Federal gun charges. The US Attorney who charged him is the son-in-law of the stumblebum Secretary of the DVA, Rick Shinseki (whose only achievement as Chief of Staff of the Army was the social promotion of the Bradley Manning end of the Army into the then-Ranger headgear of the black beret, and who hasn’t hit that low level of attainment at DVA). After Timothy Heaphy was crucified in the press for his persecution of Duvall, he backed off. Heaphy told the Post that it didn’t register with him that Duvall was a veteran. Heaphy, whose bio lists no military service (was he “preserving his viability in the political system”?), was previously a defense attorney specializing in white-collar crime.

But hey, when an actual suicidal veteran called the VA in 2012, they told him that they were closing in an hour, so run along and call back tomorrow. He killed himself instead.
http://weaponsman.com/?p=10104
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Here’s why you NEVER call the Vet Help Line

Post by scorpionmain » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Unless you have to do it, don't.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:44 am

Hell, if you need to talk, call me, I won't turn on you or turn you in. I'll listen, and help as much as I can.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:21 pm

...I feel as though I may hurt myself or others.

:llama:

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 am

Ouch, just another gun grab.

Bldg365

Post by Bldg365 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 am

Very similar to the situation discussed in Emily Miller’s book, “Emily Gets Her Gun, But Obama Wants to Take Yours.” Link to the first part of a four part series that explains the situation in detail:

[url]http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/gun ... ns-dc/[url]

The veteran in this situation initially avoided jail by going to a mental health facility and checking himself in. If he didn’t check himself in, he wouldn’t be able to later check himself out. He would have been at the mercy of the mental health system. Unfortunately, the DC police were waiting when he checked himself out, arrested him and put him in jail where he was held incommunicado for 17 days because he got lost in their “system”.

The other down side to the ordeal is he now has a “record” of mental health issues and based on some future definition of “disqualifying mental issues” he may not be allowed to legally possess firearms again. We all agree that people with severe mental health issues should not be allowed access to firearms, but if we allow Liberals to define what “severe” is, we are all doomed. In their eyes, anyone who wants to own a gun for self-defense has mental issues.

Read “Emily Gets Her Gun”. It is just unbelievable that in Washington DC, it takes a person four months, four days off work and $435 in fees in order to buy a gun that they can only keep in their residence, and must be transported in a locked box to a range in another state in order to legally shoot it. Compare this to buying a gun in Kentucky. Before I buy a gun anymore, I have thoroughly researched it on the internet. I’ve walked into gun shops that weren’t too busy, asked for the gun, made sure it felt right in my hand, filled out the 4487, show my CCDW permit, paid and walked out in 15 minutes or less. Somehow the system in DC makes them safer? The annual FBI crime report shows otherwise.

Return to “Veteran Affairs”