Glock 21 Mag Problem

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
Harb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Glock 21 Mag Problem

Post by Harb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Over the holidays last year I treated myself to a Glock 21, Gen 3. I noticed that a fully loaded magazine will not seat easily if the slide is forward. If you manage to get it in, you can't rack the slide and chamber a round. The slide has to be locked back, THEN the mag inserted. The only problem I can foresee from this is if I choose to perform a tactical reload. I'd have to empty the gun completely.

When I bought the gun, I could tell it had hardly been used. I'm not even close to breaking it in. Does anyone know if this will resolve itself over time, or if it's just a quirk with this particular model?

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Glock 21 Mag Problem

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Never had that happen. Is it very close to going all of the way in? If so can you give it a tap and get it to go in? If not is there another mag you can use to see if it is mag specific or gun specific? Factory mag?

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Glock 21 Mag Problem

Post by Wyldman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 pm

The slide should lock back on an empty magazine, so a tactical reload shouldn't be an issue. How many rounds are you loading? 13 should fit and be able to insert on a closed slide with just a good rap on the floorplate. I carry mine with a +2 (sic, actually +1 on a .45) floorplate and can easily get 14 in and insert the mag on a closed slide.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Harb

Post by Harb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 pm

These are fully loaded, 13 round, Glock factory magazines. I tried it multiple times with different ones. It requires a lot of pressure, but the actual distance is small. This doesn't happen when the mag is loaded with 12 rounds or less. Other forums suggest it's the size of the .45 cartridge.

I can get it in there, but my biggest concern is the fact that I cannot chamber a round from a closed slide with a fully loaded mag.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:06 pm

If multiple mags do it then load it with the slide back and keep it full. A tactical reload is the least of your worries. If you really were in a situation I am sure you would hammer it on in there under stress and not be gentle.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:26 pm

I really wish I could see your pistol, something doesn't sound right. I have been around numerous G21 & G30 pistols for many years and haven't ever seen this issue unless the mag was overloaded.

Can you press the rounds down about 1/4" on a fully loaded magazine? You should be able to. Is the top round getting dented Iif you slam the mag home? If so, then there isn't enough give in the round stack. Have you dismantled the mags to be certain they were assembled properly?

Seriously, I'm not giving you a hard time, nor am I questioning your ability or experience. These are legitimate questions in an attempt to help. If you want to get together and compare pistols, I'd be happy to oblige and help get to the bottom of this.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Glock 21 Mag Problem

Post by Toddinlou » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:54 pm

I've seen some glock mags that are hard to seat as you mention... A few things to try. Leave your mags loaded with 13 rounds. Before trying to insert the mag, smack the back of the mag to make sure the rounds are seated properly. My 30 did the same for a while.

Harb

Post by Harb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Wyldman wrote:I really wish I could see your pistol, something doesn't sound right. I have been around numerous G21 & G30 pistols for many years and haven't ever seen this issue unless the mag was overloaded.

Can you press the rounds down about 1/4" on a fully loaded magazine? You should be able to. Is the top round getting dented Iif you slam the mag home? If so, then there isn't enough give in the round stack. Have you dismantled the mags to be certain they were assembled properly?

Seriously, I'm not giving you a hard time, nor am I questioning your ability or experience. These are legitimate questions in an attempt to help. If you want to get together and compare pistols, I'd be happy to oblige and help get to the bottom of this.
No offense taken what so ever. I really appreciate all of your comments, everyone. I'm currently going to school out of state, so a face to face meeting is impossible. When I get home on break, maybe I'll shoot some video footage. I'll disassemble the mags when I get a chance. I haven't noticed any damaged to the round when I insert the loaded mag, except a light scratch when I attempt to chamber it.

I've never had a problem like this with any other automatic handgun.

Todd, I have noticed that when fully loaded, sometimes a single round in the magazine will come a little loose. It makes a noise when you shake the magazine. You think it might be a spring/follower problem?

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:05 pm

That full mag rattle is normal for many G21 mags. Usually, it'll quit once the springs work in and the follower seats in, but not always. When I added the +1 floorplates (Glock brand), they quit doing that.

When you come home, will you be coming to Louisville at all?
IN GOD WE TRUST

Harb

Post by Harb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Wyldman wrote:That full mag rattle is normal for many G21 mags. Usually, it'll quit once the springs work in and the follower seats in, but not always. When I added the +1 floorplates (Glock brand), they quit doing that.

When you come home, will you be coming to Louisville at all?
No, I'm in the very western tip of the state.

Harb

Post by Harb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 am

Ok, I feel really really stupid, but here's what happened. Came home for a brief visit and it turns out that I wasn't being forceful enough with the gun (hard not to do with a new pistol). If I just tap and rack like I mean it, then the mag seats perfectly and the round will chamber successfully. No damage to the case observed.

Man, I feel like a retard now.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 am

Doh!
IN GOD WE TRUST

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Be glad it wasn't a mechanical problem and the only solution was elbow grease. Glad to hear.

Return to “XD & Glock”