My latest G21 upgrade

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

My latest G21 upgrade

Post by Wyldman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:42 pm

This is the 16" SS MechTech CCU upper for the G21 .45ACP. Has a cheapie 3x9 compact scope, Magpul MBUIS front & rear sights, 6 position collapsable AR stock on a mil-spec buffer tube (no buffer necessary), a single point sling mount, Pachmayr Grip Glove, & 4 Kriss 30 rd magazines (plus all of the other G21 mags I have will fit, too).

I am waiting for Guncrank to get caught up on his threading backlog & will be taking the barrel to him for threading for use with my Osprey .45 FDE. OAL=32". This is going to be a fun little rifle!

Dammit! It's chopping off the pics, again! I thought this was going to be fixed! Is there a utility that I can use to resize them?
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: My latest G21 upgrade

Post by scorpionmain » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Very cool!
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Pretty cool. Have you shot it yet? How does it feel? Point good, transition between targets, balance, etc?

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 pm

No, I haven't shot it yet, but it handles like a dream! It's a little heavy with the 30 rd mags, but not so bad that it causes any problems. Pointability and target aquisition are great. I am planning on getting a Primary Arms Dot sight for it to see if it will help to lighten it a bit and make handling even easier.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Interested in how it suppresses. Please post up a review

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 56 times

My latest G21 upgrade

Post by Rem700 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Very cool man, so this upper just attaches to the pistol frame, like you remove the slide and hook this in?

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 pm

I have been looking at one of those for YEARS now and I keep talking myself out of it.

I might just have to get one now.

How long did it take you to get it in the mail?
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:47 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:I have been looking at one of those for YEARS now and I keep talking myself out of it.
+1

I'm *really* looking forward to a range report.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 pm

They made one in 460 rowland. I would love to see one in 9x23win or 9x25 dillon, aww shit you got me.

ya I really like them CRAP, I might have to do it!

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:29 am

About 8 days after placing the order I got tracking info. According to his website, these are made to order, so it can take a few days, but it was not too bad a wait.

Yes, you just remove the slide, insert a feedramp part into the frame, insert the tabs into the upper and click it into place. Taking it apart is no worse than removing the slide. Dismantling the upper for close cleaning is 9 screws & one spring. All of the parts are well made and thought out. Nothing unnecessary or overly complicated.

I will need to get it threaded, as the manufacturer doesn't do this, even with the ones with the muzzle brake, which is pressed on. So far, my only real complaint. As soon as I can get Claude to thread the barrel, the Osprey goes on for testing. Being a blowback design, I expect that there will likely be some bolt noise, but that's to be expected from a semi-auto action.

Coach and I (and maybe Tyler, too) are going to the range (JCSC out near MT. Washington, Mike get ready for some potential new members) today and I intend to test fire and zero the scope then. I will post an AAR and let you guys know how it performs.

So far, including 4 Kriss mags, and not counting the G21 frame, I have ~$625 in it. The kit was just under $500, the rest was parts to suit my taste to finish it. I got this one with the full length picatinney rail, but there is a quad rail option avaialble, too.

I am seriously stoked as I have wanted a.45 ACP carbine for some time and this is the first viable option I've seen that didn't involve snake oil or tax stamps, and the Kriss 30 rd mags! I mean, what more could you ask than massive destructive capability out of such a small package in as little time as it takes to squeeze the trigger 30 times! This little dragon is going to be all out BOSS BEAST MODE! (Insert my best maniacal mad scientist laugh here)
IN GOD WE TRUST

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:04 am

FYI: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =275277098

Not a serialized part, so no xfer required.
IN GOD WE TRUST

mtchbrian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by mtchbrian » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:45 pm

damnit.....i need a glock 21 now.

been thinking of parting with my remington 1911r1 Talo edition and getting a 21gen4. now i think that is what i am gonna do.

you gonna bring that thing to NH on 1April????
Proud husband, father of 3, Iraqi Freedom Veteran, and Operation New Dawn veteran.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 pm

If I can make it ot NH on April 1. I will bring it with me, as I still haven't been able to shoot it.

We went shooting today, but my club range has a no carbines rule, that I wasn't aware of until I got there today and found a big orange notice on the bulletin board to that effect, so, no shooty the carbine. Dammit!

Tyler & Coach got to play with it a bit and both seemed to like the concept a lot.

BTW, they make these suitable for use in .40 & 9mm, too and they can be used with all but the sub-compact Glocks (26, 27, 30). The one I posted above is a G22 model for $325, plus they make models that can be used with 1911 pattern pistols as well, though they won't have the capacities that the Gock models can.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:12 pm

This thing feels great in the hand and is very compact. I've been planning a .45acp AR build and after handling the mech-tech unit I'm on the fence about selling what I have and getting one of these since I already have a G21sf. Nice pickup Wyldman.
Height Supremacist

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Wyldman wrote:...I still haven't been able to shoot it...
You're killin' me.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Killin' YOU, it's my new toy and I can't play with it!
IN GOD WE TRUST

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:33 am

mtchbrian wrote:damnit.....i need a glock 21 now.

been thinking of parting with my remington 1911r1 Talo edition and getting a 21gen4. now i think that is what i am gonna do.

you gonna bring that thing to NH on 1April????

They make them to fit the 1911 frame too, but I would still go for the Glock because of magazine capacity.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:34 am

They might should kick you some free swag cause it seems like that (after your pending range report) there may be a few orders from Kentucky placed.

Return to “XD & Glock”