To stipple or not to stipple.

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
SSGBPowell
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

To stipple or not to stipple.

Post by SSGBPowell » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:31 pm

I am looking for a little insight and opinions on stippling a Glock. I have a Glock 23 (Gen 3) and it is a nice fit in my hand and about the only finger grove pistol the has ever fit my smaller hands.

My friend has a Glock 19 frame with the finger grooves removed and the trigger guard rounded and undercut. He offered it to me priced right. I liked the undercut trigger but I did not really get a warm fuzzy with it.

What are your opinions on stippling and anything I should watch for?

Thanks,

Brian
I was only going to build one...

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Re: To stipple or not to stipple.

Post by kokopelli » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Don’t.

Most people try to do it on their guns after watching boob tube videos and end up making their gun look like a Cheeto.

How ‘good’ of a price?

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 pm

My 23's grip sides were worn pretty bad:Image

I just stippled the middle and it made a huge difference: Image

I ran 120 grit Sp over the grips after stippling to get the roughness down.

For finger grooves on the Gen 3 you can probably do about the same thing.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am

Dont, i have a set of xd from years ago the are like an unwashed cheese grater just buy the grip tape and when they get nasty you can replace them

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 am

son of liberty wrote:Dont, i have a set of xd from years ago the are like an unwashed cheese grater just buy the grip tape and when they get nasty you can replace them
I second this option. They make skateboard tape texture and a more rubber texture version and is easy on and stays on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:39 am

Ever have tape peel off your grip on a hot summer day?

That's why I stippled mine.

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 am

Toddstang wrote:Ever have tape peel off your grip on a hot summer day?

This
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:05 pm

I don’t know what he priced his frame at, but Gunbroker is awash with RTF2 frames at the moment. No stippling required.

I have no issue with stippling in principle, but too many home jobs look like a middle school art project.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm just not a stipple fan.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Once it’s stippled it’s worthless to me. Just how I feel about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:29 pm

If it is something beneficial to you and your needs do it. If it's a gun you plan on selling don't stippple. I did mine because it was beneficial to me for a defensive handgun. Grips better. To me plastic guns are ugly to begin with. But Glocks are my first choice for CCW.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Didnt know it dis that. The people i knew with it never said that.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:53 pm

I wasn't a fan of stippling at all until I had one of Slovo stippled Glocks and they're awesome! Still not a fan of most stipple jobs, but I love how he does them. I'm sure others are similar to his also, but his stippling is the best I've seen in person.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 pm

jackalo626 wrote:

Didnt know it dis that. The people i knew with it never said that.

Twice to me.

Sweat vs. adhesive, sweat will win.

SSGBPowell

Post by SSGBPowell » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:01 pm

My friend decided to keep it and do some more custom work. When it is time I am going to grab a frame off of Gunbroker. lots of them on there.
Toddstang, I like the job you did on that Gen 2, Much better than the cheese grater most of the ones I have seen. and made the gun much better.
I am not confident enough to take a soldering iron to one of my Glock frames yet. I also don't really have a need to change anything yet. I am going to look at doing the undercut on the trigger guard. It allowed me a better grip.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 pm

SSGBPowell wrote:My friend decided to keep it and do some more custom work. When it is time I am going to grab a frame off of Gunbroker. lots of them on there.
Toddstang, I like the job you did on that Gen 2, Much better than the cheese grater most of the ones I have seen. and made the gun much better.
I am not confident enough to take a soldering iron to one of my Glock frames yet. I also don't really have a need to change anything yet. I am going to look at doing the undercut on the trigger guard. It allowed me a better grip.

Thanks!

I didn't stipple for looks like most talk about on here, I did mine for better grip since the gun has seen as much use as Madonna's Vayjayjay. Like in the first pic, grip sides were slick, tape kept peeling loose so I broke out the soldering iron. I practiced on an old piece of plastic first then went at it on the Glock. I more than got my $ worth out of this gun, so I'm not at all worried about looks.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:42 am

SSGBPowell wrote:My friend decided to keep it and do some more custom work. When it is time I am going to grab a frame off of Gunbroker. lots of them on there.

The Gen 3/4 Compact (19, 23, etc.) frames are the only size that my hands simply don't get along with. The top finger groove is narrower than the rest, and it makes my grip feel awkward. I finally worked up the nerve to undercut my one remaining Glock 19, and it made a world of difference. The only caution I'd offer--if you're using a Dremel or something similar--is to not allow the plastic to get too hot, as it will get "stringy" when it starts to melt.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Not all Stippling is created equal, it's shooter preference, just like anything else. If you like it, have it professionally done. There are plenty of companies that do great work.

Most of my Glocks are relatively factory and I love the RTF2 frames as far as grip texture goes. You have options, so do the research and make up your own mind.Image

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SSGBPowell

Post by SSGBPowell » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:05 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:Not all Stippling is created equal, it's shooter preference, just like anything else. If you like it, have it professionally done. There are plenty of companies that do great work.

Most of my Glocks are relatively factory and I love the RTF2 frames as far as grip texture goes. You have options, so do the research and make up your own mind.Image

Wow, that is nice. I think I would definitely want to go hands on before committing to any change.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:55 pm

SSGBPowell wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:Not all Stippling is created equal, it's shooter preference, just like anything else. If you like it, have it professionally done. There are plenty of companies that do great work.

Wow, that is nice. I think I would definitely want to go hands on before committing to any change.
I'm out of town a lot due to military obligations, but if I ever see ya down at New Haven. You're more than welcome to check it out and put a few rounds through it.

SSGBPowell

Post by SSGBPowell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:
SSGBPowell wrote:

Thanks for the offer.

I'm out of town a lot due to military obligations, but if I ever see ya down at New Haven. You're more than welcome to check it out and put a few rounds through it.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 pm

I have some aggressive stipplings and some lighter. and have some of the rubber grips. for guns I shoot a lot and carry little I love stippling but for my carry gus the rtf style frame or g43 frame is perfect stippling rubs me some carrying iwb.
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Return to “XD & Glock”