Getting Glocked. Transition and observations.

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Getting Glocked. Transition and observations.

Post by KYGlassman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:38 pm

I never took Glock that seriously. Another tupperware gun. Sure almost the original (I have read there was another true original) but subsequent other manufacturers improved on them. Plus they fans of these guns were almost as annoying as those 1911 guys. :llama: Why bother right?! I had at the time several nice shooting polymer guns and a 1911. At this point all my semi autos are Glocks except the Ruger Mark III's my boys shoot in 4h.

Why the switch?

I carry more the last few years. Not 100% but damn close.

I started reloading. If you reload you know why a person would want to conoslidate though most of the consolidation of calibers took place in my rifle collection. I am down to three calibers that serve my various needs.

Our steel plate range. I love shooting steel. I've always been pretty fair at shooting hanguns toward paper bullseyes slowly and accurately. However transitioning and speed came into my practice/training and the holes in my handgun arsenal arrangement have become obvious.

So how did it go so far?

It started with a G22 a fellow traded me for a S&W 65 I wasn't enamored with. My initital impressions. It's a Gen 4 and the first Glock I've ever held. I liked the large grip right away. I added the largest beaver tail backstrap and like it even more. The trigger, meh it was ok. Nothing special but not awful. Somehow that gun tames the supposedly snappier 40 S&W very well. The more I shot it the more I liked it. As for the whole grip angle thing, maybe I'm just not a good enough shooter to appreciate the difference?!

Now I have...
Glock 22 gen4.
Glock 19 gen 4.
Glock 26 gen 3.
Glock 41 gen 4.

Notes on those models...

All were brand new exept the G22. The fellow I got it from is a constable and it was a blue label gun. He had put 20 rounds through it.

All of them got a Flitz/felt Dremel polishing of the friction surfaces. The G19 was really bad at first, very gritty and even slightly mushy. The polishing made a huge difference in this one. It helped the others too but only the G19 was so in need of help that it would have been noticed when actually shooting versus dry firing, by me anyway. If you've wondered about the .25 trigger job it seemingly does make a very noticable difference on some guns in my limited experience. This one got a set of Truglo TFX sights. This one wears the largest beavertail backstrap. I really like the tritium/fiber optic combination for a carry gun. I just wish they didn't rob a shooter of so much sight radius.

The gen 3 G26 supposedly has a slightly bulkier (in width) stock than the gen 4 model and I do have huge hands. I added the grip force adapter. I'm sorting out some grip options to possibly help it fill my hands in even more but it's very usable as is. I haven't missed my Shield at all. The Shield had talon grips and an Apex sear but I couldn't shoot it as well as the G26. The G26 is bulkier but I'm not small. I can pocket carry or IWB carry it well. I carry this one or most often the G19 in an N82 holster. I'm loving that holster but reholstering could be an issue. I'm very careful reholstering into that stretchy retainer on the N82. This one got a set of Trigicon night sights.

The gen 4 G22 got a set of Glock factory night sights. I use the largest beaver tail backstrap and it just shoots.

The gen 4 G41 also got a set of Glock factory night sights. I'm setup to reload .45 and I simply enjoy shooting that round. I've also been kicking around the idea of attending a few competitions mostly to improve my own skills and learn more about areas I can improve on. This gun came with the factory - connector. I'm not a fan. Maybe it it was my only Glock. While the trigger pull may be lighter it's mushy and to me led to an unexpected trigger break compared to my other Glocks. I am waiting for the dot connector to arrive and I expect that to bring it into compliance with my other Glocks. It just didn't comply with my intended goal of having the trigger feel the same on all of them.

So far I only have a few concerns about having made the switch. Reloading for the Glocks does require an extra amount of due diligence to the brass. Other than that I'm pleased with the change. I guess I have the one concern. Even the gen 3 Glock 26 trigger is so close to the gen 4 models that I can hardly notice.

I won't be adding any aftermarket parts inside my Glocks. Other than maybe improving the grip on my G26 I won't be adding anything other than sights to any of them. I like the factory grip texture on the gen 4 models. For the role I need from my hanguns this has been a good change for me personally. You mileage may vary.

I do plan to eventually get a gen 4 G34 at some point.

I'm sure most of you know all the above but for me this was a big change, a slightly risky one but so far I'm well pleased. I haven't had a single malfunction of any kind from any of these guns so far. The only one I'm not 100% on is the G22. I'm no set up to reload .40 and it does seem that the whole unsupported chamber thing is a real risk for reloaders, especially with the .40. I don't want to try and turn it into a G17 with a conversion. I just don't trust it. Their value has plummeted due to so many LE switching to the 9mm. It is fun to shoot something a little different but really I would like to be down to two calibers only. Perhaps because I admire and respect LE a good amount I do kinda' like that it's a blue lable gun I couldn't get otherwise. That's kinda silly though.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?

TC

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Getting Glocked. Transition and observations.

Post by Dustin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I have a 17 34 and 41 need to clean up the trigger on 41. Not bad guns. They get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Just got a Gen 4 model 19. Until the Gen 4s came out Glocks never fit my hand right so I always avoided them. The gen 4s fit perfectly.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Currently I only have a Gen4 G19 and a G40. IF, mine all find their way home I'll have a Gen3&4 G17, Gen3&4 G34, G41, and Gen3 G19. I like Glock for what they are, I still don't shoot as well with them as I do pretty much any other pistol though.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:16 pm

I have absolutely zero emotional attachment to my Glocks...yet I own nine of the damn things.

They just work...and work very well.

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:41 pm

I thought I would try one of those slip on Pachmayr grips for the G26. It came in today. It didn't last five minutes. I have some adhesive that would hold it in place but I don't like that mushy hand feel at all. I fail to see why anyone would use such a thing. I've never had a slip on, now I know why.

I

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 am

I remember the first glock i ever seen, a G17 at my local gun store. Swore I would never buy one, steel and wood is a gun, not plastic. Years later finally bought a g26 because I wanted a small gun with high capacity. I have other pistols that I like and shoot better, but carry a glock mostly. Like others said, no love afair, purely utilitarian.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:33 am

KYGlassman wrote:I thought I would try one of those slip on Pachmayr grips for the G26. It came in today. It didn't last five minutes. I have some adhesive that would hold it in place but I don't like that mushy hand feel at all. I fail to see why anyone would use such a thing. I've never had a slip on, now I know why.

I
Maybe Talon tape and a pinky extention on a mag to see how you like it.

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:57 am

I've got the pinky extension on both mags, the one that doesn't add more rounds and I do like them. The grip isn't bad, just a touch small. Well small compared to my Gen 4 Glocks. Plus I really like the grip texture on the gen 4's so a Talon or something similar may be the ticket.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:54 pm

When someone asks "what kind of gun should I get?" its just so much simpler to say "Glock". You dont have to get in to subjects or opinions that are just over their head at that point in time, you dont have to ask them questions, and you can recomend it knowing its going to do what they need.

Often poeople see that kind of response , Glock... Glock..... Glock as being a fan boy, its not, its just knowing what works.

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Hard to argue. We put a bit over 500 rounds through the glocks today. Still no failures of any kind.

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

Pics...

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by PDM » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Nice. Need to change your name to KYGlockman
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:46 pm

PDM wrote:Nice. Need to change your name to KYGlockman
I don't know. I wouldn't want the other guns to feel marginalized and then orchestrate some kind of coup. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Ha
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Nice collection.
I was sold on Glock in 1990 when I got my 17.
Now you need a 10mm.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Toddstang wrote:Nice collection.
I was sold on Glock in 1990 when I got my 17.
Now you need a 10mm.
Right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Stop it. I keep talking myself out of the 10mm and the conversation gets more difficult all the time. I could possibly justify replacing the Ruger SR in 454 casull with one. You know, with all the bears roaming around here in West KY I need one or the other.

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:30 pm

And I do have an empty pistol bag now...

KYGlassman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by KYGlassman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:04 pm

So G20 or G40?

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Depends on how much you plan to carry it. Mine is quite often, so I went with 20.
Tench Coxe

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by PDM » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Actually, what am I thinking. BOTH of course
Tench Coxe

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:01 pm

KYGlassman wrote:So G20 or G40?
I highly recommend the G40. It's a blast!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:16 pm

KYGlassman wrote:So G20 or G40?
Both.

I have the 20 but the 40 and 29 are on my list.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:31 pm

I'd get a 40 if I was getting now, but you could always get a conversion for the 41 and get the longer barrel and 10mm at a lower price point.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Return to “XD & Glock”