Would a Glock be a good first buy?

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
hi im banned
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by hi im banned » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm new to all of this. I know it sounds like a stupid question but I wanna know what I'm getting myself into. The last meet I shot a couple rifles and some handguns. After putting a clip in a handgun, I had a hard time getting it to cock back for me to get ready and shoot. I'm currently trying to get in law enforcement and it'd be nice to know how to shoot/hold/load/etc. I will appreciate any feedback and tips on help purchasing my first gun! Thanks!
BANNED. DON'T START DRAMA.

DO NOT ATTACK KAC MEMBERS

DO NOT ATTACK KAC SPONSERS

DO NOT START DRAMA.

KEEP FACEBOOK JUNK TO FACEBOOK.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 pm

First of all, before anyone flames you, it's a magazine, not a clip. Second, being able to rack the slide is a common problem. Ideally you want to grip and rip, ie really yank it back and let it spring forward under tension. If you come to the next shoot, and we hope you will, try every type of gun you can get ahold of. I think as a group we are more than willing to share.

As for a glock, there was a thread on here very recently that went through most of the pros/cons to them. If I can find it, I'll link it here.

Fwiw, I own a few glocks and prefer them for carry.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Would a Glock be a good first buy?

Post by ssracer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 am

Like marcus said, the best thing to do is get your hands on as many guns as you can to see what you like. This is one thing gun shows are good for, you can handle just about every gun out there at one to see what you like and don't like. Coming to a meet and getting to actually shoot them is even better.

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GeminiXD9 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 am

My wife carries a smith and Wesson bodyguard 38 special. She has a neck/shoulder injury that prevents her from being able to rack the slide. So she went the revolver route. But she loves it and says she wouldn't trade it for a pistol even if she could rack it. I'm partial to the xd/xdm's myself. Never owned a glock. Shot alot of them though. Gtg in my book
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 am

If you're wanting to get into LE then yes, go Glock.
No sense getting accustomed to a different platform only to be issued a Glock.

Other than that, as those above stated, find whatever fits you as a shooter.
"You bring the weapon to you, not yourself to the weapon."

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 am

^^^^^^
What he said. I think we'll be able to find a few for you to shoot at the next meet.

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:10 am

Live I'm catching up to you slowly!!!
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:02 am

I am Glock free and proud! Lol

I likes my G27 when I had it, they are good guns no doubt

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:12 am

I LOVE my glock, wouldn't trade it for anything!

However I can shoot some guns just as good, the biggy for me is the cost.
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

hi im banned

Post by hi im banned » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:48 am

That's awesome! Thanks for being helpful guys. Ill look more into it. Ill most definitely be at the next one. I'm looking forward to buying my first gun!
I shot this guys handgun at the last meet. It was silver. Couldn't remember the name the of it. He was nice enough to let me shoot it. I'm sure that narrows it down. Lol. But i liked it a lot.
Its not called a clip its a magazine? Well I play tons of video games and most of the time its called a clip so that's why I referred it to it. I appreciate you correcting me.
BANNED. DON'T START DRAMA.

DO NOT ATTACK KAC MEMBERS

DO NOT ATTACK KAC SPONSERS

DO NOT START DRAMA.

KEEP FACEBOOK JUNK TO FACEBOOK.

Dr. Chadenstein

Post by Dr. Chadenstein » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 am

Yep it is a "magazine," but I know a lot of people who still call it a clip, but they are just being ignorant. :). And when shooting you rarely refer to a "bullet"--you do not put a "bullet" into a magazine but a cartridge. Most refer to these as "rounds." The bullet is just the part of the cartridge that leaves the muzzle and (hopefully) hits the target. When buying ammunition for example you would ask for "ammunition," "rounds," or "cartridges," not "bullets." Technically, if you wanted to put "bullets" into a gun, you would put the gun on a target down range and fill it with holes from another gun :D

A Glock was my first pistol. I admit that racking the slide is awkward at first, but it just takes some getting used to. You need to be able to rack the slide with either hand. You must develop strength to grip the slide the right way. Your grip must remain firm when shooting so the slide can move back with recoil and the slide action picks up the next round. Failure here is often called "limp wristing"--if your wrist has too much give then the next round will not cycle and the gun will often jam. This is just part of learning to use an auto-loader (semi-auto--you know a gun with a magazine).

"...if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."--Jesus of Nazareth, Luke 22:36

"Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your families, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes." Nehemiah 4:14

"If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed." Exodus 22:2

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am

Try gripping the slide and pushing the gun forward with the other hand instead of gripping and pulling back with the same hand. You could also try not being a wimp.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am

From the section about playing video games, could be a good place to start figuring out how you got a weak wrist. :llama:

Lmao at being a wimp.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Return to “XD & Glock”