Crimson Trace for XD (Updated 7/12)

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Crimson Trace for XD (Updated 7/12)

Post by ProCroation » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Hey guys, I'm updating this thread full of questions, with some of my own answers and notes so far. Updated info is in red font.

Do any of you have experience with the Crimson Trace Defender Series with your XD's?

I got an email from Kentucky Gun Company with 4th of July specials in it. The laser was 69.99 so I ordered one a few hours ago. It just came in the mail today...yay!

I've never shot with a laser before, so I couldn't justify spending a small fortune on one. I felt in this case that $70 was fair though. Crimson Trace seems to have a following and I would assume for good reasoning. I had a few questions for anyone with experience.

Model Specific questions:

Are they durable? It feels sturdy. It mounted very tight and looks/feels tougher than just every day plastic
Are they accurate?
Are they consistent/solid? (how well do they hold aim after initial adjustment)
Are they easily adjusted? They come factory sited for 50 ft. I put mine on and had to adjust nothing. It was dead nuts at 21 ft/7 yards. Adjustments are easy with an allen wrench included in the box
How is the battery life?
Is battery replacement easy and does it require adjusting the aim? (assuming you have to take the laser off to do so) The battery is easy to change. Two screws (Phillips head) and you DO completely remove the laser, or at least one half of the body. It seems that it's already sited and requires no adjustments based on the fact mine was already dead on. I suppose anything could go wrong during re-installation and could require adjustments though.

Laser generic questions:

How practical are they? (ideal for home defense/target shooting I assume, but...do they hold an advantage in those areas?)
Any added benefits aside from a visual reference for your point of aim?
Do you personally still use your sites when target shooting (or just put your gun in front of you, check your red dot and squeeze)
Pockets/holsters/waistbands...do they tend to effect the "zero" (after putting a gun in and out of those places repeatedly, day in and day out)
Any special care procedures I should know about? the booklet with my laser says sometimes the laser will appear blurred or broadened on the target. Mine comes with a little swab just for cleaning the lens off if that happens.

It was this laser for my pistol, or a red dot optic for my AR. I made my choice tonight. Just looking for a little further insight. Thanks guys.
Last edited by ProCroation on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Crimson Trace for XD

Post by shelbygoat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:28 pm

I have a laser on all my carry guns. XDs and my M&P. mine are spot on at 7 yards I think. That is what I chose to set them at. Can't speak to the battery life as they have spent over a year sitting in a box with no batteries even installed but I haven't had to change one yet from the one you get with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “XD & Glock”