My Glocks Failed to Function

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: My Glocks Failed to Function

Post by 325MOUTguru » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 pm

It isn't cold=fail. It's more of an over saturation of lubricant + cold +fail.
In all honesty, the only other variable would be the ammo.
Think what you will but Glocks have been widely used since the 80s for a reason and that reason isn't because they fail.
I've tested and run many firearms in all types of conditions and the one thing I will say about freezing weather is that wet lubes can be a source for malfunction.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:50 pm

I got a buddy who was stationed at Fort Greely , Delta jct Alaska. Thats the military extreme cold weather testing facility. Anyhow he told me that the guys there would buy Whale Oil to lube there weapons because it was the only thing that did not gun up in extreme cold.

I doubt it was a lube issue though, I mean if you were humping ruck through the snow in negative temps then maybe, but yanking the gun out to take a few shots in the cold.......?

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 am

I had frog lube on the hammer of my sig when I first picked it up. When I took it to the range to run a few hundred rounds through it the first time it sat in the back of the car. Temp was in the 20's. When I tried to fire it the hammer wouldn't drop fast enough to hit the firing pin. Stripped the frog lube and problem solved.

The amount of frog lube it took to cause this problem was very small. I now only use it on slide/frame rails.
Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

My Glocks Failed to Function

Post by Toddinlou » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 am

Like others have said, clean your firing pin channel and firing pin. Then spray out the channel with a good degreaser and then lube the correct areas and retest.

During the winter, weapons must be stripped completely and cleaned with a drycleaning solvent to remove all lubricants and rust prevention compounds

Return to “XD & Glock”