Glock 34 mods?

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Glock 34 mods?

Post by Niceguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 am

Alright, got me a G34 and I plan on using it for GSSF and maybe other pistol competitions if I can shoot it worth a shit. What can I do to make it a better comp shooter? I know all you Glocksters are all about unmolested Glocks but this will never be a carry gun so keep that in mind. It has 10-8 (?) sites on it that I think are okay. The trigger is not bad for a Glock also. Are barrels a good option? And looking ahead to a suppressor, is a Storm Lake threaded barrel or the likes target grade barrels or should I stick with a factory length aftermarket barrel? What else should I look into? I also plan on hitting up Slovo and getting so grip work done since I HATE Glock grips.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Glock 34 mods?

Post by Tyler » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:21 am

I shot that 34 with those sights better than any other sights I've tried. I was able to pick up the front sight very quickly.
Height Supremacist

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Toddinlou » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 am

I really like the ghost rocket trigger kits for the money and only slightly more difficult installation

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:37 am

I like to put stainless steel guide rods in my guns it adds a little weight to the muzzle and I use a glock factory spring on them by breaking one of the plastic ends off the factory guide rod, it helps a lot with reliability. I've never shot a g34 but shot a lot of glocks I plan on picking up a g34 here soon.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
SI JE PUIS

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:51 am

If you want a threaded barrel, Storm Lake, KKM, or Lone Wolf are all good choices, especially if you prefer to go with SAE right hand threads. IMO, the biggest deciders are which one can you actually find in stock anywhere, and the price point on them. The Lone Wolf barrels are often the least expensive, but can be hard to find sometimes as they come out in batches.

OEM Glock threaded barrels are all left hand metric threads, but can be a little easier to find, sometimes, though often more expensive. There is the added avantage of being able to use lead ammo more easily in aftermarket barrels than in Glock's polygonal bores (which means nothing, really, if you just keep them clean).
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 am

The best modification would probably be a thousand rounds of ammo.

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:55 am

Frailer wrote:The best modification would probably be a thousand rounds of ammo.
Yes this

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
SI JE PUIS

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:19 am

Frailer wrote:The best modification would probably be a thousand rounds of ammo.
agreed

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:49 am

I have that covered and would agree if it were any other gun, but between the g23 and g17 I've had and I put a lot of rounds through them and only slight improvement. They are ungodly AWFUL feeling guns in my hands and it shows in my shooting. Having the grip modified might be a huge help though.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:52 am

I like the sights. I played around a little with it yesterday. Trigger is doable. I'm always up for a better trigger though.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:57 am

Don't futz with it too much. I might want to buy it when you decide you don't like it here in about a month. :)
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:57 am

Toddinlou wrote:I really like the ghost rocket trigger kits for the money and only slightly more difficult installation
I did a Ghost trigger and connector kit in my G17. I liked it and was super easy to do. Not sure if there are different kinds of Ghost triggers or which one I used. I got it at Lotus because they were the only place locally that had them in stock.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:58 am

The one I'm talking about has the over travel stop

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Marcus wrote:Don't futz with it too much. I might want to buy it when you decide you don't like it here in about a month. :)
I'm REALLY going to make an effort to like this one and hope to hold on to it. We will see though...haha I love the principle behind the Glock, I love the simplicity, I love the reliability of them. I just will never wear out a bullseye with a stock Glock though and that's what I'm hoping to do with this gun. I can get rounds center mass in a silhouette pretty quick though.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Toddinlou wrote:The one I'm talking about has the over travel stop
I'll have to look for one of those. The one I used didn't have that.

Ulwembu
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ulwembu » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:19 am

Go check out Mod 1 Firearms. That's where I will drop off my G34 next time I'm in the States again. He also has a new trigger system that is fully adjustable for, I think, US$ 150.00. Never felt a smoother Glock trigger then that one! I have held his work and he's a true magician! And he's from Kentucky!

http://www.mod1firearms.com/

When it comes to sights, I have Dawson Precision on mine. Adjustable and the front sight has a fiber optic in it.
DSR 506
IPSC 08-P69 Multi-Gun
Shooting at a range near you!

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:41 am

Ulwembu wrote:Go check out Mod 1 Firearms. That's where I will drop off my G34 next time I'm in the States again. He also has a new trigger system that is fully adjustable for, I think, US$ 150.00. Never felt a smoother Glock trigger then that one! I have held his work and he's a true magician! And he's from Kentucky!

http://www.mod1firearms.com/

When it comes to sights, I have Dawson Precision on mine. Adjustable and the front sight has a fiber optic in it.
Meh
Gundoc is a better smith :llama:

I will agree a tuned trigger and target sights.
Ghost disconnecter and some stone work on factory trigger is what I do.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:29 am

Never messed with a mod1 gun but they do some very nice polymer work.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:03 am

86 slo-vo wrote:Never messed with a mod1 gun but they do some very nice polymer work.
Your work is the same , that why NG6 said he was going to use you.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:25 am

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions and will definitely look into all of them. Going to try and get hooked up with Slovo for the poly work go from there. After playing with my G17 I feel comfortable parts swapping and doing some very basic trigger work on them. I'll probably start with that. I like the sites that are on it. Who knows, down the road I may have it cut for a rmr or the likes.

I do have another question about barrels after looking for them. What is needed in the fitting? Most all of them said semi-drop in, may need fitting by a qualified smith.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:49 am

Every Glock barrel, regardless of the maker, I have done so far didn't require any fitting, they just dropped right in and worked great right out of the box.

The only barrel I had to hand fit was a P6 threaded barrel from KKM and that was fairly easy, just a little hand filing to get the lock up right.

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:14 am

If you insist on spending money on something besides ammo, the barsto barrel would be my choice just so I could shoot the cheapest ammo known to man.

I would replace sights with solid black target sights , something like Defoor sights or warren sights.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:25 am

Wyldman wrote:Every Glock barrel, regardless of the maker, I have done so far didn't require any fitting, they just dropped right in and worked great right out of the box.

The only barrel I had to hand fit was a P6 threaded barrel from KKM and that was fairly easy, just a little hand filing to get the lock up right.

From the Wyldphone
Sweet! That's what I'm hoping for...

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:48 am

son of liberty wrote:If you insist on spending money on something besides ammo, the barsto barrel would be my choice just so I could shoot the cheapest ammo known to man.

I would replace sights with solid black target sights , something like Defoor sights or warren sights.
If it were going to be a carry gun, that is what I would do but have put 8000-10,000 rounds through the 2 previous Glocks I've owned (mostly the G23) and I'm still not a good target shooter with them. Defense/center mass type shot I'm okay. I just can't shoot the bullseye out of a target with a Glock and can other stock pistols. I'll look into those barrels also. I have trouble quickly picking up the black on black sites sometimes depending on the target. Not sure why, my vision is great. The pistol has 10-8 sites now that has a solid black U-shaped rear and red fiber optic front. They are pretty good. I think if it were green so it stood out more I would love them. I'm guessing I could change that. I'm going to start with changing up the grip shape. Hell, that may be all I need to shoot one well and I stop messing with it there and just shoot the shit out of it. Glock is just the most ungodly awkward feeling gun I have ever had in my hands. I wish I liked the way they felt and shot them well because they are cheap and plentiful and I love the whole idea behind a Glock, unfortunately they feel totally f'ed up in my apparently odd shaped hands. Large hands, kinda short fingers and very short thumbs...haha

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 am

niceguyr6 wrote:
son of liberty wrote:If you insist on spending money on something besides ammo, the barsto barrel would be my choice just so I could shoot the cheapest ammo known to man.

If it were going to be a carry gun, that is what I would do but have put 8000-10,000 rounds through the 2 previous Glocks I've owned (mostly the G23) and I'm still not a good target shooter with them. Defense/center mass type shot I'm okay. I just can't shoot the bullseye out of a target with a Glock and can other stock pistols. I'll look into those barrels also. I have trouble quickly picking up the black on black sites sometimes depending on the target. Not sure why, my vision is great. The pistol has 10-8 sites now that has a solid black U-shaped rear and red fiber optic front. They are pretty good. I think if it were green so it stood out more I would love them. I'm guessing I could change that. I'm going to start with changing up the grip shape. Hell, that may be all I need to shoot one well and I stop messing with it there and just shoot the shit out of it. Glock is just the most ungodly awkward feeling gun I have ever had in my hands. I wish I liked the way they felt and shot them well because they are cheap and plentiful and I love the whole idea behind a Glock, unfortunately they feel totally f'ed up in my apparently odd shaped hands. Large hands, kinda short fingers and very short thumbs...haha

If the grip is a strong issue for ya, I think I would look for a gen 4 glock 34 and when you find one, sell that gen 3 to fund it. you will have to throw a few bucks in on it im sure but I doubt it would be as much as the grip reduction work and loss of value in the current 34.

Return to “XD & Glock”