considering switching from xd-glock

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

considering switching from xd-glock

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:32 pm

I currently carry a springfield xd9 subcompact daily. When i am hunting or feel like open carrying, i carry a service model springfield xd9. Had been considering for a while, switching to a glock 26 for cc and a glock 17 for open carry. My main reason for wanting to switch, is the abundance of aftermarket accessories. I am still far from doing so, need to do some "hands on" research of the glocks. I have held a few, just never shot one. What would be the pro's and con's of swapping? Not looking to start an argument thread, but looking for advice from some glock fans. thanks.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: considering switching from xd-glock

Post by Niceguy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Not a Glock fan but I love the interchangeability of Glock mags and most other parts and accessories, and they are reliable as any...
There Jack, no negative comments about your shitty feeling Glocks! hahaha
Don't anyone get butthurt, I'm just messing with Jack... I even own a Glock. And a Glock hat...haha

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Do it!

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:44 pm

I really like Glocks but what aftermarket accessories are you looking for that aren't available for the XD? It just seems to me that pretty much everything you really need is available for the XD. Then again I carry my 27 totally stock including sights. That said I have some Glocks with lightened triggers, nights sights and all the other add ons but I still prefer the stock setup for carry.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Reason I prefer Glock over XD is because Glock doesn't use that dam palm grip safety. If you need to fire your gun and you are hurt and cant grip the palm safety tight enough, youre screwed.
A true defensive gun, doesn't use any safeties.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I wouldn't call myself a "fan," but I certainly am a Glock guy in that I think it is the best all-around semiauto pistol out there. Furthermore, I am definitely *not* an XD fan; if someone were to give me one, I'd promptly sell it. I don't like the internal design, I don't like the way they feel, I absolutely despise the grip safety, etc.

With that said, I'd never recommend someone switch to Glocks just because *I* happen to think they offer the biggest bang for the buck.

Questions I might ask myself:

What "aftermarket accessories" do I want that aren't readily available for my XD?

Do I already have a significant investment in magazines and holsters?

What do I dislike about the XD?

If what you have now works for you, you might as well stick with it.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Can't go wrong with either. What are you looking for that you can't get for the XD? To me that seems like an odd reason to switch, but to each his own.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 pm

I did it, sure I bucked the whole glock trend, found any reason I could to hate them, they are gay, they feel like a brick, boo hoo whine whine. I have a whole set of XDs that are just drawer guns and guns I leave laying in places. I can tell ya that I will never buy an XD again.....why.......go glock.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I really like both my xd pistols, don't get me wrong. Never had a problem out of them.
But, from what I have been reading about, the glock has many more options. The idea of a .22 conversion would be nice. Also like the idea that I could get a larger caliber glock, then buy barrels/mags for smaller calibers. Plus, the g26 looks smaller than the xd subcompact.
But like I said, I haven't had any problems out of my xd pistols. They shoot great and are accurate enough. Just one of those ideas I'm throwing around. Grass is greener on the other side types lol.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:00 pm

I like the mag interchangeability and not having a grip safety. The angle of the grip that people complain about is natural to me and aims natural to me. I started out with an XD9 service model that I haven't shot in 3+ years and have 6 Glocks right now. I really like that they are light, reliable, and more accurate than I can shoot. I find the XD's are good enough to depend your life on and don't hate them but feel I am shooting an inferior gun when I shoot it after Glocks.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:02 pm

son of liberty wrote:...I bucked the whole glock trend, found any reason I could to hate them, they are gay, they feel like a brick, boo hoo whine whine...
Same here, which is why I say I don't consider myself to be a "fan."

The damn things are chunky, cheap-looking, ugly, etc. etc. etc. I *want* to be a 1911 guy, or a Sig guy, or a Hipower guy, or a CZ75 guy...

But when you get right down to it Glocks just *work*.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Toddstang wrote:Reason I prefer Glock over XD is because Glock doesn't use that dam palm grip safety. If you need to fire your gun and you are hurt and cant grip the palm safety tight enough, youre screwed.
and if you hold your glock that loose you only get one shot anyways because it will likely jam from limp wristing. I know my 26 would do it about every time.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 am

etownguy wrote:
Toddstang wrote:Reason I prefer Glock over XD is because Glock doesn't use that dam palm grip safety. If you need to fire your gun and you are hurt and cant grip the palm safety tight enough, youre screwed.
and if you hold your glock that loose you only get one shot anyways because it will likely jam from limp wristing. I know my 26 would do it about every time.
That is true of any hand held pistol not just Glocks

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mike » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 am

I see no need for anything else with a glock. No agtermarket stuff needed. I keep 15-20 full size glock mags around and I know they will fit in any of mine. I carry a 22 while working, a 27 when CC'ing, and a 23 for a home gun. I don't have to worry about which mags go with which gun. I can stash mags in the trunk, glovebox, door pockets, house areas, safe, range bags, etc and never worry.
:llama:

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by etownguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 am

That's pretty much my point. People love the 1911 and I don't see complaints about their grip safety but Springfield people complain all the time it takes a matter of ounces to squeeze it.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 pm

etownguy wrote:That's pretty much my point. People love the 1911 and I don't see complaints about their grip safety but Springfield people complain all the time it takes a matter of ounces to squeeze it.

I have 1 with a broken spring in the grip safety, I have no idea how but its broke. The stupid slide lock shut unless the grip safety is pressed. one one of the the stupid roll pin that sits on the top of the slide has worked its way out. The grip of the gun and my high aggressive hold , makes the slide stop useless.

The ONLY thing the XD has over the Glock, is the fact that I can use my index finger to drop mags without altering grip.

Of course im also one of them 1911 detractors , I mean why would I ever carry one when I could just carry a glock?

Glock......Everything you need, Nothing you dont, I mean its fucking art.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 pm

son of liberty wrote:
etownguy wrote:That's pretty much my point. People love the 1911 and I don't see complaints about their grip safety but Springfield people complain all the time it takes a matter of ounces to squeeze it.

I have 1 with a broken spring in the grip safety, I have no idea how but its broke. The stupid slide lock shut unless the grip safety is pressed. one one of the the stupid roll pin that sits on the top of the slide has worked its way out. The grip of the gun and my high aggressive hold , makes the slide stop useless.

The ONLY thing the XD has over the Glock, is the fact that I can use my index finger to drop mags without altering grip.

Of course im also one of them 1911 detractors , I mean why would I ever carry one when I could just carry a glock?

Glock......Everything you need, Nothing you dont, I mean its fucking art
Best quote ever!

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 pm

I am going to try to get out and shoot a 17 and a 26. Hopefully within the next week or so. I don't have a major investment in holsters, just a crossbreed and a few soft holsters that would work with a glock. I figure if I decide to swap to glock, I can sell my full size xd, sub compact, mags and crossbreed to fund the swap. Or at least a big chunk of the cost. I appreciate all the replies. Lots of good info here.

Pitbullcrazyinky
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Pitbullcrazyinky » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:20 am

Xdsc 13+1 or 16+1
G26 10+1

Xd better trigger.. No need for upgrade.
Xd points better imo.

I like glocks, i own a few, but i shoot my xd better.

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:20 pm

I trust the Glocks that I have more than any other pistol I own. My Glock would be the first gun I would pick up in a defensive situation. I still think my XD feels better in my hand, points better and I'm way more accurate with it. Like both guns for different reasons.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Pitbullcrazyinky wrote:Xdsc 13+1 or 16+1
G26 10+1

Xd better trigger.. No need for upgrade.
Xd points better imo.

I like glocks, i own a few, but i shoot my xd better.
Correction G26 - 10+1, 15+1, 17+1, or 33+1
I have xd as well and have the opposite preference as I like the Glock trigger and point better with.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:13 pm

I switched.

I had Xdm 4.5 9mm
Xdsc 9
Xd service 9

All good guns but the glock 19 replaces all of them. To me it is easier to carry than the Sub compact still has plenty of accuracy so no worry on 4.5 and the service 9 is basically the same but harder to carry.

Plus more mag availability and Interchange if I get a 26
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 56 times

Post by ssracer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Mags interchange in the XDM's as well.

drifter0069
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by drifter0069 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:20 pm

The xd series as well. I'm going to try to shoot a few different 9mm glocks the next few weeks. Gonna research around, see what I can get out of what I have. Then make some decisions.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:01 pm

But xd doesn't with Xdm except 45
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Return to “XD & Glock”