The new G19 is here!! The new G19 is here!!

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

The new G19 is here!! The new G19 is here!!

Post by BK Meyers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Recently had a thread asking for opinions of the Glock 19. Based on the positive responses and some other factors I bought the pistol.

Went to the gun store on Sat. morning to pick it up. Keep in mind that I had bought it sight unseen. Turns out it was exactly as advertised, a NIB Gen3 Glock 19 with the factory case and all accessories.

Once I was back in E-town I swung by Sporter Express and bought an additional 15-rd magazine (had a gift cert. from Christmas that I've been wanting to use). Got home, read the manual and gave the pistol what minimal cleaning it needed, being careful to leave the copper colored factory lube in place as stated by the manual. I was impressed by how easily the pistol broke down for cleaning. I also preloaded the magazines and was again impressed by how easily they loaded to full 15-rd capacity. I have some Taurus 17-rd mags that are at least 1-yr old and fitting the 17th round in those is a bear. No problems with the factory Glock mags.

On Sunday I was able to go to a private range with a couple of friends (one of whom owns a G19). I had told them I had the new pistol to break in.

I know this has been a bit long-winded so I'll try to wrap up. In the course of the day I fired 400 rounds, 200 CCI Blazer 124 grain to start then another 200 rounds of assorted 115 gr, all brass cased. Was shooting to the left (at 10 yards) and my friend happened to have a Glock rear sight adjustment tool. Since I shoot right handed but am left eye dominant I was unsure what to expect from the factory sights but after the sight adjustment I was very pleased with my groups (no photos, you guys know I'm tech impaired!!).

I am extremely pleased with this G19. Thanks to all who recommended the purchase.

BK

p.s. Sometimes I name my firearms. For example my first Mosin-Nagant 91/30 is named Renee (full name Renee the Russian Rifle). I think I'll call this pistol Glock.
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: The new G19 is here!! The new G19 is here!!

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Good to hear and glad you like it. I like them so much I bought two of the same G19 with NS.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Still have never shot a 19. Need to try one.

richief
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by richief » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 am

I had an aversion to the plastic guns for years, but the reputation for always goes bang held up and I tried a g26. I still have the 26, a 19 a 17 and a g22. Simple, ugly, and fairly light, pistols that always go bang. LOL I kinda like them in a practical sort of way, especially the 19, I pretty much always have it on me. Theres a few pistols I'ld rather have if ever in a gun fight, but the 19 makes sure I'll always have a gun if needed, it's just about the right size, weight, and capacity to go to the trouble to carry it. pure utilitarian. I like the trijicons for sights, about another $85 but worth it.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 am

Congrats on the new purchase

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:43 pm

KYgundude wrote:Still have never shot a 19. Need to try one.
WOW

Need to get to a KAC shoot
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Dustin wrote:
KYgundude wrote:Still have never shot a 19. Need to try one.
WOW

Need to get to a KAC shoot
We ALL do!!! haha

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

I've been contemplating buying a Glock. I've shoot several makes and models of pistols and I've actually never shot a Glock. People rave about the G19 like it's the best thing since sliced bread. They just look so generic. I guess I need to shoot one to understand what all the fuss about.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:32 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:I've been contemplating buying a Glock. I've shoot several makes and models of pistols and I've actually never shot a Glock. People rave about the G19 like it's the best thing since sliced bread. They just look so generic. I guess I need to shoot one to understand what all the fuss about.
I absolutely HATE!!! the way they feel in my hand but they always go bang and I can very consistently hit man size targets and 9"x9" steel plates... I'll never win a bullseye contest with a Glock (unless I'm shooting with a bunch of people that suck...haha) but I feel I could hold my own in a shoot out.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:I've been contemplating buying a Glock. I've shoot several makes and models of pistols and I've actually never shot a Glock. People rave about the G19 like it's the best thing since sliced bread. They just look so generic. I guess I need to shoot one to understand what all the fuss about.
I absolutely HATE!!! the way they feel in my hand but they always go bang and I can very consistently hit man size targets and 9"x9" steel plates... I'll never win a bullseye contest with a Glock (unless I'm shooting with a bunch of people that suck...haha) but I feel I could hold my own in a shoot out.
Well, I absolutely love my FNX-9. I love the way it feels in my hand and I can hit targets with it as well. I've put several rounds through it and have NEVER had any issues with it. I'm just not comfortable with the size of it for a CC weapon. It's just to large. Decisions decisions.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:
As I've stated before, the "feel" of Glocks kept me away from them for over 20 years. Their general unattractiveness didn't help, either.

Finally came across one priced too low to let pass by, and now I own...let's just say "several." I no longer find them to be the least bit awkward or uncomfortable.

I'll never hold the same affection for them I do for my beautiful S&W J-frames, but I'll never be without a few (or more) of them. Inexpensive, durable, highly reliable magazines; a near-infinite variety of readily available accessories; more-than-acceptable accuracy; and, most importantly, the damn things *work*.

And, FWIW, XDs are *much* uglier. ;)

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:
niceguyr6 wrote:
Well, I absolutely love my FNX-9. I love the way it feels in my hand and I can hit targets with it as well. I've put several rounds through it and have NEVER had any issues with it. I'm just not comfortable with the size of it for a CC weapon. It's just to large. Decisions decisions.
I have an FNP9 that I often carry but the size isn't much different than my G19 really.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:01 pm

A shop I frequent had a model 2 G19 for 399. Unfortunately it doesn't come with anything other then one mag and the pistol. What's the benefit of each generation of the pistol?

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:23 pm

A salesman at a local store suggested I shoot one before buying, stating that some people find that they really don't like the way they feel. I guess that could be said for almost any firearm except a 1911!!!

I bought mine with the mindset that if I did not like it then I would resell it and take whatever loss as the cost of rental and learning. Luckily I really like it so it's not going anywhere.

One of the things that I like about it is the handgrip length. I have been using grip/pinky extensions on some of my other 9mm carry pistols because their grips simply didn't have enough grip length. The G19 fits my hand well and no grip extensions are needed in my case.

BK
God made man.

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Here toy go.

(also the gen 2.5 has finger grooves but no light notch)

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

My personal opinion is that the Gen 2.5 should have been no grooves and a light notch, that would've been awesome.
Gen 3 or 4 are the two that I personally would search for.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:14 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:A shop I frequent had a model 2 G19 for 399. Unfortunately it doesn't come with anything other then one mag and the pistol. What's the benefit of each generation of the pistol?
Best price I found for new Glock 19 15-round mags was at Sporters for $29.99 plus tax. So if you bought the Gen2 then added just 1 mag you'd be over $475 with taxes.

BK
God made man.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 pm

BK Meyers wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:A shop I frequent had a model 2 G19 for 399. Unfortunately it doesn't come with anything other then one mag and the pistol. What's the benefit of each generation of the pistol?
Best price I found for new Glock 19 15-round mags was at Sporters for $29.99 plus tax. So if you bought the Gen2 then added just 1 mag you'd be over $475 with taxes.

BK
That's a very good point about the mags. I think I want a new one anyway. I like the feel of the gen 3 and 4 myself. Not to mention I kinda want the box and all the stock goodies that comes with it.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:04 pm

1fastmach1 wrote:
BK Meyers wrote:

BK
That's a very good point about the mags. I think I want a new one anyway. I like the feel of the gen 3 and 4 myself. Not to mention I kinda want the box and all the stock goodies that comes with it.
That's my suggestion.

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Love my Gen 3 shot it last night, hadn't cleaned it in 500 rds, shot another 200 without a problem getting good hits and ran reliably with a mix of light and heavy reloads, and factory loads in 115 and 124 grains
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:47 pm

I checked this particular gun out today and FWIW I think you were wise to pass on that one.

I really like Gen 2 Glocks, but this one had seen several thousand rounds and, more importantly, the original owner had his or her priorities backward. He left the original staked-on front sight but fitted it with an extended magazine release and slide lock. I can live with the mag release, but the front sight would need to be swapped for one with a screw, and the extended slide stop would *have* to go.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 pm

My math was wrong but you'd still be in for just under $455. FWIW I scored this NIB Gen3 with all factory acc. for $459 OTD. High to some but it was brand new.

BK
God made man.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:22 am

BK Meyers wrote:My math was wrong but you'd still be in for just under $455. FWIW I scored this NIB Gen3 with all factory acc. for $459 OTD. High to some but it was brand new.

BK
$459 is a good price for NIB... Used price would be $425 all day long

Return to “XD & Glock”