School me on the Glock 19

Forum for your two most popular Tupperware handguns. Glock and XD.
BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

School me on the Glock 19

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

FWIW I've never owned a Glock of any model number. I'm giving serious consideration to buying a Glock 19 (9mm, 2 mags and factory case, sold as used but unfired).

I've been using a Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro as a daily carry (OWB) and switching to a PT709 for if I need to pocket carry due to clothing.

I've had no problems with the PT111 but am drawn to the Glock for a few reasons, one being their reputation for reliability and the second being that a good friend owns one and he has a knowledge of firearms that I can only wish that I had.

I've handled a couple but have yet to shoot one.

Tell me your opinions and experiences. Also if someone has a used unit to sell let me know.

Thanks,
BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: School me on the Glock 19

Post by Geno » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Perfect size, decent caliber, always works. Not much else needed other than metal sights if you use the rear sight to charge the pistol in "one handed " drills. JMHO
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:37 pm

G19 are the best single handgun you can purchase imo.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 pm

As stated previously, one of the best EDC/Combat pistols available.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Grip big enough to get all digits on but no extra so cc is easier. Simple load and pull trigger to fire so no fumbling with external safeties and other controls. Same trigger pull every time instead of da/sa that takes some getting used to for most. Takes all 9mm Glock mags except 26 die to grip being longer so a big option for carry/combat/availability. Aftermarket accessories are almost always available such as holsters, sights, lights, .22 conv kits, extended controls, etc. just a few of the reasons I like them.

325MOUTguru
Location: Currently conducting operations in Chuck Norris' nightmares.

Post by 325MOUTguru » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:48 pm

I avoided Glock for years.
After obtaining one for "reasons", I have since switched to running Glock pistols exclusively.
The 19 is the perfect balance between conceal-ability and combat effectiveness.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Everything you need, nothing you dont.

Look its very simple , you look in the hand of anyone well known firearms teacher, look at our own RWI guys, real world experience , they all scream glock.

Livewire
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Livewire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I've only heard a few people who truly don't like Glocks because of the grip angle or the looks.

I was hesitant about buying my first glock but after I bought one I loved it. For me a glock is the fastest "aiming" pistol that I've shot. When I point the pistol at the target the sights are naturally lined up without having to adjust the angle or how I hold it. Glock's reputation is well earned also. I've shot thousands of steel cased ammo and haven't had any problems from the pistol. I've only had issues with feeding while I was using a Korean 33 round magazine. Disassembly and routine maintenance is simple with tons of resources available if you do run into any problems. I know there are a few members on the board who have taken the armorer's class that would provide help if you needed it.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. You've helped me make my decision.

BK
God made man.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:39 am

Dang I needed that 19! Lol

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:40 am

Mine has only failed me when running light loads when really dirty. Stripping the slide revealed a bunch fouling in the extractor cut out preventing it from fully engaging the rim of the casing. Not the fault of the gun but something to watch every thousand or so rounds. Anyway it's my favorite cc pistol.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 am

I own a few for diversity sake. I have owned several over the years who would eject the casing and it would either hit me on the head or near the face and that was just damn annoying. Never had any other weapon do that and I am sure it was correctable but I don't figure I should need to go get a glock corrected. The grip just feels unusual to me so it is not my choice of anything right now, may change my mind though, you never know.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 am

Dave1965 wrote:I own a few for diversity sake. I have owned several over the years who would eject the casing and it would either hit me on the head or near the face and that was just damn annoying. Never had any other weapon do that and I am sure it was correctable but I don't figure I should need to go get a glock corrected. The grip just feels unusual to me so it is not my choice of anything right now, may change my mind though, you never know.
My M&P 9 does the same with the shells, lighter loads like Federal or wwb 115gr seem to do it worse. My G17 doesn't do it as bad. I feel the same, Glocks are just not comfortable in my hand at all. I bought my second Glock (G23 and sold it, now a G17) a few months back and slowly getting better with it. I want to cut it down to use the G19 mags and add some texture and maybe change the shape of the grip a little also. It's a pistol that no matter who I'm shooting with or if ever a SHTF situation happens there will be mags or parts around if I were to need them. That is the biggest benefit of the Glocks to me...

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toddinlou » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 am

Dave1965 wrote:I own a few for diversity sake. I have owned several over the years who would eject the casing and it would either hit me on the head or near the face and that was just damn annoying. Never had any other weapon do that and I am sure it was correctable but I don't figure I should need to go get a glock corrected. The grip just feels unusual to me so it is not my choice of anything right now, may change my mind though, you never know.
This is one of the problems I was having when mine was dirty. After talking to member on here who was a a dept armorer The most common cause of the casing hitting the shooter in the face with the 19 is limp wristing and for some reason he said this model is the most notorious for this. Like I said a good cleaning took care of my problem. Recoil Spring replacement on Gen 4 model 22s also cured some of the ejection problems.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. I put a used-but-new G19 on layaway today. Factory pkg. of pistol, two 15-round mags and case.

Had to be sold as used since it was a trade-in but the unit is new-in-the-box, unfired.

BK
God made man.

GeminiXD9
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GeminiXD9 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Shooters supply here in louisville is having a one day sale tmw. Buy any new 17,19,22 or 23 get a free tactical solutions .22 conversion kit. Blue label program not accepted on that deal. For anybody interested
"That's how we do. We keep it light til it's time to get dark. Then we get pitch black."

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 pm

GeminiXD9 wrote:Shooters supply here in louisville is having a one day sale tmw. Buy any new 17,19,22 or 23 get a free tactical solutions .22 conversion kit. Blue label program not accepted on that deal. For anybody interested
I prefer the AA conversions to those from TacSol, but even so, this would be an *excellent* deal.

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Dang that would be a hell of a deal as those conversions are a few hundred bucks alone.
:llama:

Return to “XD & Glock”