KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Remington to offer replacement on ALL model 700 triggers

Post by ssracer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:19 am

Every model 700 ever made...

http://fishgame.com/2014/12/remington-a ... ever-made/

UPDATE: In a released statement, Remington insisted they were not recalling the rifle, but were going to replace the trigger for anyone who wants it replaced.

It looks like Remington has finally acknowledged the 800lb gorilla in the room and agreed to replace every Remington 700 trigger ever made due to a recent settlement from a lawsuit.

The company is expected to issue a statement shortly which will likely set off one of the largest recalls in gun industry history.

According to CNBC:

America’s oldest gun manufacturer, Remington, has agreed to replace millions of triggers in its most popular product—the Model 700 rifle. The company has been riddled for years with claims the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled, often with deadly results.
CNBC was one of the first networks to do an in depth investigation into the Remington Model 700′s misfire allegations.

Numerous accidental shootings and even deaths have been attributed to malfunctioning Model 700 triggers.

Also from CNBC:

The settlement involves a class action suit brought in 2013 by Ian Pollard of Concordia, Missouri, who claimed his Remington 700 rifle fired on multiple occasions without the trigger being pulled. The agreement also settles a similar class action case in Washington state. The Pollard suit accused Remington and its owners of negligence, breach of warranty, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and fraudulent concealment—some of it involving the company’s formal response to the 2010 CNBC documentary.
We don’t yet have any details about how a possible recall will work, but we will be sure to pass that information along as it becomes available.

Just last week, Remington recalled one of its shotgun modelsdue to an issue where the gun could fire when a shell was being loaded into the chamber.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Remington to offer replacement on ALL model 700 triggers

Post by Niceguy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:29 am

Wow, EVERY Rem700! I wonder how many years it will take to get back your rifle if you sent it in now...haha I have a early 70's (I think) 22-250 Rem700. Never had and issue. Really nicely worn trigger also.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Rem700 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:31 am

I have never had an issue but it is something that had crossed my mind many times considering the horror stories that are floating around. I may eventually send it in for replacement.........maybe after a few years when the first people start getting theirs back lol

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Niceguy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:41 am

I almost think I would just buy a good aftermarket trigger before I sent it to them. For one, it will probably take forever to get back. Second, the odds of getting lost or fucked up has to be a lot higher just from the mass amount they will be handling. Mine is from my grandfather so I would be soooooooo pissed if anything were to happen to it. Third, it would take years and lots of rounds to get the new trigger back to as nice as it is now, or lots of polishing.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 109 times

Post by WLJ » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:47 am

After saying "Elephant? What elephant? We don't see no stinking elephant" for decades. What was it, 2003 or something like that when they supposedly admitted they had already supposedly changed the trigger and/or safety design while supposedly never admitting there was a reason for the change. Supposedly, post whatever year they actually made the change, production supposedly doesn't have this issue.

Lots of "supposedly" in there because my head hurts trying to keep track of who/what to believe on this issue
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

adayton
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by adayton » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:00 am

I put a Timney in one of mine last week ... Wonder if I can just send the trigger in and get a new one back ...
The 'spare' one I have now won't be worth anything .... :-)

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:25 pm

Remington 700 trigger is a fine trigger.
I still think it is peaple fucking with a trigger they don't understand and making it to light
is the problem.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:35 pm

I put a Timney in mine and got a return number to send in just the trigger. Lots less in shipping and if it gets lost or whatever it doesn't really matter to me. It also doesn't matter when I get it back, whether its measured in weeks or months. I just want the corrected trigger in case I ever let go of the gun (I would likely keep the Timney).
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Joe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:36 pm

None of my 700s will be sent in. I have 3.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:40 pm

I wouldn't bother with it except that mine was one of the ones subject to the recall, it wasn't just any old 700 trigger. In case something bad happens with it some time, it won't be because I didn't comply with a recall on a known defect.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Statcher1

Post by Statcher1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Yeah. I think I'll skip this and buy a Timney.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

adayton

Post by adayton » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Vividia wrote:I put a Timney in mine and got a return number to send in just the trigger. Lots less in shipping and if it gets lost or whatever it doesn't really matter to me. It also doesn't matter when I get it back, whether its measured in weeks or months. I just want the corrected trigger in case I ever let go of the gun (I would likely keep the Timney).
Great... Viv ... exactly what I need to do ... and probably get another Timney for my other one...
I haven't even done any research on the process yet ... I would imagine there is a website that will walk me through it? or would you have it handy?
Thanx,
Allan

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I avoided the whole problem
Bought a Tikka
Couldn't be happier with it.
Savage was my next choice
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:08 pm

I have nothing positive to say about Remington , or the 700

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:25 am

Hold on guys, not so fast, according to this there's actually no recall.

BREAKING: Remington’s Response to Recall Allegations - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... LsPCB.dpuf

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:49 am

So what are they replacing the trigger with? A brand new, identical trigger? Or is there a difference?

They aren't admitting fault, but are basically saying if it bothers you we will put a new trigger in. But if that trigger is a new one identical to the old on, what gives? If it is different, then there likely is an issue with the old trigger.
:llama:

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:56 am

The trigger is basicly the same I would imagine with a inter blade like a Glock
With a firing pin interlock.

Similiar to a Savage trigger.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Again in my proffesional opionon, that the Model 700 trigger,is fine.
Any AD is the results of operater error or a smith /owner that does not have a clue on trigger operation or adjustment.

Return to “Recalls”