For all your cast boo-lit needs.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Need some help with a hunting load for .45 Colt

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Ok, I just got myself a Uberti 1873 levergun in .45 Colt. This rifle supposedly has a somewhat weak design, being a toggle link action. I'm not a terribly experienced handloader, and I'm having a hard time sifting out the chaff in online resources regarding what would be the best load for what I want.

I'm planning on taking it out to try knocking down a deer this fall, would like some input on what a good ammo recipe would be. My only experience with loading old "cowboy" cartridges is some light to medium loads using Trailboss.

I've used Trailboss because its basically idiot-proof and I wanted to be as safe as possible when I jumped into loading my own. I started out with 4.5 g behind a 250 g RNFP (pretty much the minimum recommended load). Its like shooting a .22.

Can anyone give me some pointers or steer me to some solid loading data online that would be suitable for my intended purposes? Keeping in mind that the rifle isn't designed for tank-busting hot loads!

Da-Law-Dawg
Been liked: 0

Re: Need some help with a hunting load for .45 Colt

Post by Da-Law-Dawg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Try 6-7gr of Unique. Running it with a cast 300gr flat point.
I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's BLOOD. I have no problem going out the EXACT same way!!

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks, I'll look into that. Never used it, time to give it a try I guess.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:23 am

My load for 45 colt is 7.5 grains of universal under 250 g LRNFP. Seems fairly accurate out of my 6.5" black hawk. Never tried it out of a rifle.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:27 am

One problem I have is that I have many many cans of Trailboss to use up. Unfortunately everything I've read is that its good for cas shooting but I'm not finding much real-world application info on it.

Return to “Reloading”