For all your cast boo-lit needs.
iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 96 times

New to reloading

Post by iron369 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm kicking around the idea of starting the reloading hobby, but I have no real idea where to start. It seems every blog about the subject has different information. What one says is the best, another will call it junk. I'm looking for a set up and reference material on something low cost and able to run 9mm, 300blk, and maybe .45acp. Suggestions? And why are you suggesting that?
Using Tapatalk

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Re: New to reloading

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:51 pm

If you want a press that is pretty much turn-key out of the box, look at a Dillon Square Deal B. It only reloads pistol cartridges. It can be changed from one cartridge to another with a small amount of work and the tool head and shell plate. You can get them for a few hundred bucks. A lot of people whince at the price of the Dillon equipment, but with their warranty, it's hard to go wrong.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon- ... 25237.html
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:54 pm

You could go up to a Dillon 550 or 650 that will do everything. But, with the different caliber conversions and dies, you'd have a pretty good bit invested. If you are not certain you are going to dive in and reload a lot of ammo, I wouldn't go that route.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:59 pm

The 550 and 650 use standard size dies. You don't have to use the Dillon dies on the 550 or 650. The difference between the 550 and 650 functionally is that the 650 can be set up to operate pretty much automatically, with enough accessories. You'd still have to pull the handle to cycle the press, but it can basically spit out a completed round with each pull. I know many of the other progressive presses have many accessories to speed up the cycle time as well. I'm just a Dillon fan boy.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by son of liberty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Start simple but start quality.

Press, either a lee classic cast, rcbs rock crusher, honady single stage, or a redding. These are all going to be heavy large presses and they are all pretty much capable of doing the same thing at the same rate.

Die sets are simple , lee all the way! In some rare cases you may desire a micrometer die set for like benchrest matches, but when you get close to needing anything like that you will know it without our help.

Scale, redding, rcbs, hornady. They are about the same quality beam scales for there particular price range. Buy simple high qiality and a set of check weights

Beyond that its really up to you

I would Never recommend anyone learn to reload on any progressive even if it is a blue one. Every good reloading bench needs a good quality scale, good quality single stage press.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 pm

SOL is right to make all the suggestions he has. I will admit I got a little carried away there with the Dillon infomercial. If I may, you'll also want to get a reloading manual or two like the Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook and Lee modern reloading manual.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:50 pm

The Lee Modern Reloading manual, in particular, has a great, easy to understand step by step primer in the 1st half of the book.

As for reloading data, I look first to the Speer Reloading manual #14, but frequently will crosscheck load data against 9 or 10 different manuals I have aquired over the years, many of which contain notes and data aquired by myself over 40 years of reloading.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Geno » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Check and double check weights and charges. Over all lengths of cartridges can be a problem when beginning. Too long and pressures can be very high. Don't rely solely on memory, check books and you growing collection of notes. Try to work in batches when you have time and few distractions. Reloading can be rewarding and give you more options than factory loads. Check out the 45 Colt (some refer to it as the 45 Long Colt). In my humble opinion, one of the most versatile revolver cartridges extant. From loads near mouse flatulence to mastodons! I have been reloading for over 30 years and still have all my fingers! LOL! Be careful and enjoy whichever you start reloading. :D
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Dustin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:47 pm

I would start with a single stage or turret. Progressives can be hard when you first starting I still load most rilfe on a single and pistol on the turret.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Bama

Post by Bama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:21 pm

My interest in reloading has sparked again also. I think my first go that never happens is because my eyes were too big and jumped on a turret press and all the fancy stuff I wanted.

This go round, I'm more interested in a single stage. So.... Rock Chucker Supreme for $140 plus a $10 rebate, or a Lee Classic Cast for $120?

I'll start with one of these and then add the equipment as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kingdom Concealment
Matthew 23:12 - And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:24 am

Bama wrote:My interest in reloading has sparked again also. I think my first go that never happens is because my eyes were too big and jumped on a turret press and all the fancy stuff I wanted.

This go round, I'm more interested in a single stage. So.... Rock Chucker Supreme for $140 plus a $10 rebate, or a Lee Classic Cast for $120?

I run the green machines but for logistical reasons only, i bought a few of them used and got a good deal. If i was to do it now i would get the hornady single stage as it has a slightly skewed position when mounting making it easy to see and easier to get a hand in there. Its quality and construction is on par and can be found at the same price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PD6S9 ... ref=plSrch

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:14 am

Bama wrote:My interest in reloading has sparked again also. I think my first go that never happens is because my eyes were too big and jumped on a turret press and all the fancy stuff I wanted.

I will 3rd or 4th what has been said...start with a single stage, and you'll have more fun and learn more as you go. I, too started with a small progressive, and it gave me so many fits and problems- double charged loads, sideways primers, crushed cases...I gave up on it and quit reloading.

adayton

Post by adayton » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:17 am

Wyldman wrote:The Lee Modern Reloading manual, in particular, has a great, easy to understand step by step primer in the 1st half of the book.

As for reloading data, I look first to the Speer Reloading manual #14, but frequently will crosscheck load data against 9 or 10 different manuals I have aquired over the years, many of which contain notes and data aquired by myself over 40 years of reloading.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
This ^^^^ and....
I have found that the internet can be a decent source for load data, but I would not rely on it solely. There are a couple sites that have good data on them as well, but you may have to pay a small price for access. Then, there are magazines that are dedicated to handloading... and they usually come out with an annual edition that has current load data for most popular rifles and pistols ...
I still keep a log of everything I have loaded as well as notes on how it performed ... and I use these notes to cross reference with my internet data, book and magazine data ...
Also, it may be a little extreme, but I try and purchase "the complete Reloading Manual for the (you insert the caliber)" ... It is copyrighted by LoadBooks USA Inc. ... They publish load books for individual calibers and have load data for most projectiles and propellants used for that caliber .... I pick mine up at Cabela's...
One final reference I use is the load data that comes with the Lee dies ... when you buy the dies new, there is an instruction sheet for how to adjust each die and a nice roundup of information relating to projectiles and propellants to use for that particular caliber ... If you buy the dies used, sometimes these have been 'lost' or misplaced ...
If you are going to try and load for a caliber or a projectile for that caliber that you can't readily find load data, you will want to invest in a chrony of some sort ... Most of you know what that is, but it is simply a device that measures the velocity of the bullet as it exits the barrel ...
If you are going to do something like that, always make sure you research thoroughly first ... then take the data that is the closes to what you think you might need and start with loads 10-15% below starting loads and work up 1/2 grain or so at a time using the chrony to document the velocities... also, look for signs of pressure ... swipes on the case and swelled primers are known indications of too much pressure and you need to back down ...
Like SOL and others have said, start with a single stage press ... and you will know when you are ready for a progressive. I now have a Hornady single stage press and a Hornady Automatic Progressive loader (without the case and bullet feeder currently) ... and I use the single stage for loading calibers that I don't have the progressive plates for as well as the RCBS bullet puller (which I have found is a much needed tool for when you 'think' you have messed some of them up or just have to take a bullet apart for one reason or another...)
That's about all I have for now... but the biggest thing is to do it safely ... Try and load when there are no distractions ... and don't try handloading when you are impaired ... alcohol, drugs and gunpowder just do not mix...

Return to “Reloading”